$5000 for a heavily Relic’d Telecaster, which one?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Tricky1325, Jan 15, 2018.

1. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I just love shell pink

Tricky1325 likes this.
  2. Tricky1325

Tricky1325 TDPRI Member

Yeah I’ve already had a thorough look through reverb but I need to know what teles are the best to go, and I want to get a guitar that will hold its value too, that’s why I want to get something with some rarity to it.

3. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister

I too wanted something singular and stumbled on a Tele that checked nearly all my boxes.
    So…

The FedEx driver dropped my Custom Shop Thinline Relic about an hour ago.
    It's been so damn cold over the course of its transit that I don't dare open the box until tomorrow morning.
    Man, I'm impatient to begin with and the wait is killing me.

Some specs… I've bolded some of these which really checked off features I was after in a…

Custom Shop Thinline Telecaster Relic
    Body Type: Semi-hollowbody
    Body Shape: Thinline Telecaster
    Body Material: 2-piece Select Ash
    Body Finish: Relic Lacquer

Color: Aged Candy Apple Red
    Neck Material: Quartersawn Rosewood
    Neck Shape: '59 C profile
    Radius: 9.5"
    Fingerboard Material: AAA Dark Rosewood
    Fingerboard Inlay: Vintage Clay dots
    Number of Frets: 21, Jumbo 6105
    Scale Length: 25.5"
    Nut Width: 1.650"
    Nut Material: Bone
    Bridge/Tailpiece: '51 Nocaster® Bridge with Gatton Saddles
    Tuners: Vintage style tuners
    Neck Pickup: Hand-wound Twisted Tele Single-coil
    Bridge Pickup: Hand-wound Original Blackguard Tele Single-coil

Controls: Master volume, master tone (Greasebucket tone circuit), 3-way blade pickup switch
    (I'm putting an Emerson 4-Way switch as I love that 4th position series tone. It has a treble bleed tone circuit.)
    Weight: !!!!!! 6 Lbs. !!!!!!

Some store shot pix:

CS_01.jpg CS_02.jpg CS_03.jpg CS_04.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    ickylick, tombm3, rich815 and 3 others like this.
  4. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

23 posts in and no one has told the lad to get a Squier CV and modest practice amp, bank the rest, practice every day and then go on to University where girls throw themselves at a bright young man who plays guitar and knows how to save money?

5. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

If I could like this 100 times, I would. Where did you find it?

6. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister

I guess I'll give you the longish answer…

First off, it's the first time I've purchased a guitar from anyone other than a local dealer.
    Secondly, it's the first time I've purchased a guitar that I haven't played first (and I've been playing for 55+ years)

I've been eyeing it at Sweetwater for several months, half hoping it would be purchased, allowing me to forget about it.
    Fate, apparently had other notions…
    By the way, right now it's sitting in the music room, still in its box as it's spent five days on the road in sub-zero temperatures on its way to me.
    It's killing me to wait. I just want to grab the box cutter, slice it open, tune it up, plug it in, and play the beans out of it for a few hours.

I wanted a Custom Shop Tele and this guitar just had pretty much all the features I was after.
    I hesitated largely because I didn't want to spend the dough. It was pricey, though Sweetwater really did give me a VERY good deal.

More background…
    I'll turn 70 in a few months.
    I had my youngest daughter's wedding to pay for late in December.
    I survived that expense.
    I have three daughters. I've given each of them good educations, including graduate schools and law school.
    They are independent, self-supporting, and married to young men I love. The two older girls have given me two grandsons.
    All things considered, life has been pretty good to me.

I worked as a photojournalist internationally for decades and currently teach (photo)journalism at the university level though I've diminished my class load over the past couple of years, allowing me more time to pursue personal work. I've worked hard and have had a modest degree of success. Hell, I burned the mortgage a while back and I live fairly modestly. So… life's big bills are paid in full.

The guitars I own are excellent instruments, both acoustics and electrics.
    I just had this itch that needed scratching and that itch has been a Custom Shop Telecaster.
    Tomorrow morning it goes to the luthier for installation of a 4-way switch and a good setup with my favored set of D'Addario EPN21's pure nickel .012 - .051. I play jazz and 1950's style Chicago blues. I need thick warm wire.

OK, so I was a bit long winded…
    Now I just need to keep my hands off that ever so alluring box cutter.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    rich815, Stubee, FenderLover and 2 others like this.
  7. Tricky1325

Tricky1325 TDPRI Member

Oh man that’s amazing

8. Tricky1325

Tricky1325 TDPRI Member

Already got a girl my friend, and I want to buy something as an investment, and I practice as much as I can

9. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

drf64 likes this.
  10. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister

So I brought the guitar to my luthier this morning for a proper setup with my favored D'Addario EPN 21's… Pure Nickel, .012 - .051. I play jazz and 50's Chicago blues. I like heavy wire with a warm, round, thick tone. I also had him install an Emerson 4-Way switch. I just gotta have that 4th position series tone. What can I say.

He calls me about 2 o'clock to tell me it's ready. I hot tail it to his place, pick it up, and cart it home. I plug in first to a Princeton Reverb RI with a Celestion Gold 10 inside.
    Then I plug in to my 57 Deluxe.
    Then I plug into my 57 Champ.
    I played for close to three hours and got tone for days out of all three amps. The pickups in the guitar are simply spectacular. The guitar has a CS Twisted Tele in the neck and a Blackguard in the bridge. With the 4-way switch I can get at every nuance of the tone I'm chasing.

And to ice the cake, the guitar is drop dead gorgeous and feather light at 6 pounds.
    OK, I know it's the first night of the honeymoon, but after this introduction I think I'm married to this instrument for the balance of my days on earth!

Tricky1325 likes this.
  11. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

12. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

As an investment, a Custom Shop will drop in value right away, so don't hold your breath. But if you want a great playing guitar, then a Custom Shop is the way to go unless as other posts have indicated, you watch for a vintage tele at a good price- then you'll have an investment.

13. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Have you considered a guitar by Nacho Banos? Nachoguitars are made in Spain by this guru of early Telecaster style guitars. Nacho is also the author of a highly sought after limited edition book on early 'Blackguard Telecasters'. You can find the Nachoguitars website on line. Be prepared, you will be amazed at what you see. These are without doubt some of the most beautiful, yet reasonably affordable guitars of this type out there. You are also able to see and choose the guitar you want after it has been made, and not before - as long as it is still available. Each one is also unique.

From what I now know, these guitars are also relatively scarce as only a small number are made each year. Neither will they lose a chunk of their value once you take delivery of one. His guitars are second to none in quality and are spoken of in hushed tones by their proud owners.

Well worth a try.

Btw, I am not in anyway connected to Nacho-guitars, just an admirer of what Mr.Banos produces.

ROADMAN likes this.
  14. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

If it were me (and it was a little over a year ago). I would go with a partscaster build. I used MJT for all aging. Got an MJT body, Musikraft Blackguard neck (based off an actual Tele featured on Nacho's website). Callaham hardware (that included a vintage correct bakelite pickguard with paint can spot), Don Mare Hayride Pickups. Top that all off with a setup and plek and you have one amazing guitar for less than half the price. All parts were aged by MJT except the pickups which were aged by Don Mare.

For me it was not the price, but the ability to get exactly what I wanted. I did not get the fretboard aged... Wanted to do that with my own wear patterns. They are coming in nicely!

Attached Files:

BALIstic likes this.
  15. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

There's a lot of people out there who bought 'investment' grade guitars, who ain't gonna see their money back anytime soon.

Buy what you like, if you don't lose money on it, result.

tunerfish likes this.
  16. BALIstic

BALIstic TDPRI Member

Tricky1325,

Welcome aboard.

I think you can certainly buy collectable CS guitar’s in Oz. That’s not to necessarily say that a “rare” or “limited edition” CS guitar will go up in value.....but here in Oz you have a better chance of it retaining a higher proportion of its $$$ value and more buyer interest that you would if you were selling a Butterscotch Blonde 52’ heavy relic, if you do ever decide to move it on.

I just scored a FCS Masterbuilt Tele by Dale Wilson. It’s oone of eleven made in total and while it cost $10.5K new here. I paid less than half that figure. It’s absolutely as new (how do you tell with a heavy relic). I personally believe I scored big time and definitely believe it’s value will increase in time...and it won’t be going anywhere.

I have two 2005 FCS NOS Strat’s that I paid $2k each for but in the current market over here I believe I would make money on both of them. Both guitars, a 65’ 3TSB & a 69’ special order in dakota red. I think I would get approx $3K for the 65 Strat and more again, $3.5+ for the 69 without any trouble at all.

I’d just be patient and watch gumtree, eBay, Reverb & The Gas Station on FB and keep your eyes open for something a bit more unique and different to all the 52’s, 60’s double bound Customs, Nocasters etc.

I can’t pick one for you as I have no idea how your tastes run but for instance, there are bugger all FCS La Cabronita’s in Oz. That might not be your thing, but the CS made bugger all of them in comparison to what your average Joe considers a Tele, So they may well be / sough after / collectable here in Oz and even go up in value unless the CS start making them again. I have a 2011 USA Telebration model and they are one hell of a guitar. If I decide to chase down another CS guitar I’d probably hold out for one of those. Another model that would be fairly rare here here I imagine, would be a Rosewood Tele (The Beatles) but I would expect that they would command a high price. Other than that one I’d probably steer clear of artist models. I love guitars based on guitarist’s that have inspired me but it seems that not a lot of other forumites / players while respecting the artist want to go out and buy their signature guitar. I probably wouldn’t buy a Masterbuilt guitar that was “ordered by & made for someone else” to their tastes and specs unless it’s going cheap, a Masterbuilt for $5k here is cheap. Unless you can play in person and you fall head over heels in love with it (that’s if you can even find one 2nd hand). A guitar made for another person to their specs may well be unique, technically speaking but there is every chance that it might not appeal others if you don’t gel & have to or want to ever offload it.

Just my two cents worth but yeah, if your not in dire need of a CS Tele right now take your time looking, something MOST EXCELLENT will come up sooner or later.

Best of luck and keep us all informed on your progress in chasing down “THE ONE”.

P.S. Here’s a couple of pics of the two I bought in the past few weeks just to keep that GAS fire stoked !
    IMG_2158.JPG IMG_2131.JPG

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  17. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

18. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

19. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

BALIstic likes this.
  20. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

BALIstic and Jsil13 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.