$500 to spend on a bass

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by thunderbyrd, Dec 8, 2012.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

if you had $500 to spend on a new bass and of course wanted the best bass for your money, which one would you buy? i am most interested in a bass with a split neck pick-up, like a p-bass. but it doesn't have to be a fender or squire.

2. spauldingrules

spauldingrules Tele-Holic

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SCEDIAPCST

This is the best bass under $500 EVER. It really is awesome. I have one, and my bass player always grabs it and remarks how sweet it is. I use the P bass pickup and dial in just a bit of the bridge pickup.

3. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Buy used off craigslist. Otherwise, pick up the best Fender P-bass you can get. You ought to get a pretty nice bass for 500

4. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Squier Classic Vibe series... 60's P bass. They are not toys! I got an '08 model last year hanging up as new on a rack at local music store. It's sonic blue. The Classic Vibe basses are as good as their guitars, or better, some people think. It has a slimmer neck than the traditional P-bass necks, but I like it better. The new red ones are nice looking too, imo. Later, if you want a more powerful sound, you can put some Fender P-bass vintage reissue pickups in it.

5. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Squier instruments are fantastic! And P basses always sound great IMO.

But, if you have a P bass already and are looking for some variety, I highly recommend trying out a Schecter stiletto extreme. Fantastic bass with humbuckers. It can cop a pretty good P tone, and the bridge pickup has some great sizzle. And it's active, so it definitely has some balls.

6. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

Try the Squier Matt Freeman bass ...
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--SQU0301080

I know other bass players who tried the Matt Freeman together with Fender Mexico and America basses - the Freeman won. Every bass produced is different - so you have to try the one available.

The CVs are also very good!

... and Schecter too ...

7. samuelgd

samuelgd TDPRI Member

The Fender Modern Player Jazz is a great bass, about £409.

On looks I think I'd get an Epiphone Rumblekat. Pretty guitar!

8. BigDaveyTwinkle

BigDaveyTwinkle Tele-Meister

There's been a 2007 MIM P-Bass on my local Craig's List for $250. if someone has not snagged it in the past couple of days. That's a lot of extra scratch for new pickups, pots, gears and nut if you wanted to go all the way. Buy used.

9. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought a Matt Freeman, installed a Bill Lawrence/Wilde P46 pickup, and put a set of GHS Precision Flats on it and the total cost was right around $400. It's the nicest Fender style PBass I've ever owned including a handful of 70s MIAs.. If you can find one better than that with those mods for $400 buy it.

10. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Well, for $30 more, you can get the Fender Standard Precision. All the bass you'll ever need. If you can't groove on this, bass is not for you. :D

11. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

You said new but there are some great used Yamahas for well under $500. Something from the BB series, there are many choices. You can get the bb424x for $500 new but I'd go for something used from the 80's or 90's.

I bought a BB 415 for $200 and it's a wonderful PJ bass.

Some have also had great luck here. I've bought 2 SX basses, one great one hideous.
    http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html
    The current headstocks are pretty ugly but you'll have lots of money left over to tinker.

12. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

13. Chris2P

Chris2P TDPRI Member

You should go into a music store and play an Ibanez GSR200. It's a really nice bass for the money. Well made, nice neck, full size pu in the bridge and a split pu in the neck. PU's are active and you can get a lot of different tones out of them. Bought one for my son when he got the bass player position in a local band. He knew I would have spent a lot more money if he wanted something more pricey. I even suggested for him to check out the Fender jazz bass. But after 2 hours in the music store he choose the Ibanez. I really enjoy playing it as well. They are only a couple hundred bucks so it would leave you with money for an amp.

Chris

14. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

They're great basses, until they start to crap out. After a few months the EQ in mine died. Then a tuner gear stripped and another one developed a problem where it gets hard to turn on some parts of the rotation. Then I noticed why the action kept getting lower, the saddles on the bridge were slipping! And the neck is too flimsy to be properly setup. The truss rod doesn't get tight enough and it's a dual action rod, so adding washer is a PIA.

That thing has not been touched for over a year except to pull a pickup out of it.

15. jbdrumbo

jbdrumbo Tele-Holic

Either this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-classic-vibe-precision-bass-60s-guitar?src=3WWRWXGP

...or this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ampaign=none&gclid=CMDYt6eqkbQCFQSqnQodPAkA9g

I have a CV '60s P bass, and it sounds as good as any P bass I've ever played, and it plays wonderfully. The difference between the CV 60s P and the Matt Freeman P, besides color, is the neck: The Freeman maple fretboard neck is chunkier than the CV 60s rosewood fretboard neck, with a wider nut.

16. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

And if that stock MIM sounds anywhere near as good as mine does with that P46 then I'd buy it too but it won't. I played one before I bought the MF and it didn't even sound as good as the Squier stock. I put that P46 in because I wanted to not because it needed it. I just like Bill Lawrence's pickups.

The fact that there a label on the headstock that says Fender and higher manufacturing costs doesn't necessarily make it a better bass as many including me have discovered. If you made those same upgrades with the MIM you'd have over $500 into it so it's really not an apt comparison.

I think my point was that I was able to buy a Squier CV and modify to my liking for less than the cost of an MIM stock. If the OP or anyone else is pleased with a stock CV they'll spend $100 or so less and have just as good a bass if not better.

I see a few MIM Standards for sale on CL all the time but I seldom ever see a Squier CV P or J Bass and when I do IME they're going for around the same price. I'm not putting the MIM down all I'm saying is that I've not found any difference between them and a CV that would justify spending $100 or more for one. JMHO

17. thunderbyrd

i had a squier cv in my possession for awhile and i was very impressed by it, so i might go with one of those. as for a mim p-bass, i found one near me on CL for $250 and really wanted it. i thought i had the deal set up, but all of a sudden the seller stopped taking my call! i assumed he sold it to someone else. a shame cause it was in LPB, my favorite color.

but i found last night an american special j-bass at a good price at a shop near me. i like p-bass's the best, but a jazz bass is so versatile. haven't decided yet.

18. thunderbyrd

this does look like a very cool bass, but there's none of 'em around here.

19. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

I'd get a used Peavey T-40 bass.

20. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

I bought my first Bass in June for less than $200. A '94-'95 Peavey Fury. My only mod was new strings, I might/prob switch those out to flats. The nut is on the skinny side, but I have stubby fingers so it all works out.

Craigslist can be your best friend. Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.