1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

$50 and a stupid idea, tele bass

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by pulpadded, Aug 18, 2014.

1. pulpadded

pulpadded TDPRI Member

I like teles. I play bass more than guitar. Why don't a build a tele into a bass?

That's not a stupid idea at all. Sure.

I found a Rondo tele body and neck on Ebay for cheap, I paid $40 for it. The guy glued the neck, the headstock was cut and crappy, he had doweled the string-thru. It had no use as a guitar.

I am building a Bass VI with a Squier Bronco bass neck. I used the tuners, bridge, and strings on the Rondo body and neck.

I doweled the tuners and sanded, drilled for four tuners. You can't see from the picture, but one of the tuners is drilled huge because the drill wanted to slip towards the doweled area, so it cut basically like 1 and a half what is needed. Whatever. The headstock looks like crap, and I reshaped it and don't want to paint. Sanding the Bass VI is a pain already.

After I installed the bridge, I noticed the neck is crooked, so I drilled the bridge to match. That means the pickup is off. I might fix it sometime. I put padding under the pickups to meet how high the strings sit.

I bought the pickups for around $10. I also ordered a prewired control plate because I couldn't get the wiring to work, so it is only the bridge pickup until that gets here.

It doesn't sound bad. The low E is very muddy, almost unidentifiable as a note. The action is fairly high because it buzzes if it is lower. I may adjust it some, but for now, it's a little tele bass and that is what I meant to create.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.