5-way switch schematics, w/ serial, Oop (Baja-style)

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by saemola, Jun 25, 2019.

1. saemola

saemola TDPRI Member

My head is spinning, but I think I can get this if I read it enough times!
    Thank you so much for taking the time!
    One thing... Am I missing something or is that switch simply not what I have (see pictures in the first post)?
    I have one row of 10 pins, you seem to have 2 rows there. Am I reading it wrong?

Also, If I want to reverse the plate (V, T, P rather than P, T, V), can I enter on either of the two ends of the switch (i.e. are they reversible)?
    I'm asking cause I need to flip it 180° after I have reversed the plate. Something seems to bump against the body and I can't screw the plate back on.

2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

https://images.app.goo.gl/FfEi3PdkzgaQyGmD8

I looked at it and thought it was a Super Switch. That , plus the Baja connection got me thinking complex switches. Sorry. My apologies to you and and AJ if he had to draw it

There's only 2 commons , you need 3 for out of phase.

3. saemola

saemola TDPRI Member

That's too bad. Looks like that one position is going to be my kill switch!

4. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

No worries, not my drawing. Credit goes to phostenix.

5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Did you download a while ago or is his site back up ? Photo bucket messed him up.

6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I think I just did a search for tele 5 way super switch.

Teleterr likes this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

That's the one - worked great, I think it was called the Deaf Eddie mod or something. Worked great, I just never used OOP in the real world and found I preferred the guitar with simpler switching. Regular series isn't usable (for me) if both your pickups are relatively high output. All mud.

8. saemola

saemola TDPRI Member

If I wanted to “manually” connect the wires without soldering, to test a serial wiring both in phase and out of phase and get an idea for the sound, how would I go about achieving that?
    If they aren’t that interesting I might just replace the 5-way with a simpler 3-way.

9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

They make wires w alligator clips or breadboards w solderless holding sockets.
    Soldering isn t much. 3 connections. To test series, I suggest connecting the p-ups together, then one free lead to the V pot and one to Ground. Hear how that sounds, then switch the V and G leads. That will tell you which order ground to hot you like better.
    Then unsolder all connections. Use the same lead for one p-up and the other lead for the other p-up to connect the p-ups again. That will switch the phase.
    Do the V and G connections and switch again. That's all 4 series sounds.

10. saemola

saemola TDPRI Member

Thanks man, I’ll follow the procedure and test that out once the pickups get here!

11. saemola

saemola TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

In part because I'm stubborn, in part because I'm curious, but I found this wiring diagram for a DPDT switch that, when in the UP position, would allow for a phase reversal on a standard Tele and thought, "couldn't I add the same component to my circuit, except that it is always in the up position and its output is only wired to the 4th position of my 5-way switch?".
    Of course I wouldn't need it to actually switch, so all I need is an extra component that flips my phase and is always only connected to the 4th position of my pickup switch, keeping it inside the wiring cavity as to avoid drilling the control plate.
    If so, what would that component be?
    Thoughts? Insults?

12. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Bottom line you need 3 poles and only have 2. The switch up only in your idea locks it out of phase.

13. saemola

saemola TDPRI Member

Just in case my question wasn't clear, isn't it possible to only wire pos 4 to the locked out of phase DPDT?

14. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

One thing you can do is:

1 B

2 B + N

3 B ll N

4 Either B + N , or B ll N w a cap like 1/2 OoP , the p-ups will be in phase, but you can get some weird sounds depending on the cap or caps , you can have one for each p-up.

5 N

If you definitely want OoP you need a switch as is shown. Either a toggle or a push/push or push/pull switchpot.

15. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Yes , but it locks it OoP for the other positions.

16. saemola

saemola TDPRI Member

Got it, thanks Teleterr.
    Not the biggest fan of 1/2 out of phase, so I'll skip that.
    I am so surprised that there isn't a simple solution for phase rotation. The noob in me assumed there was a component that would allow for that.
    I'm gonna start doing some tests like you suggested a few posts ago and decided if the extra DPDT switch is worth it.

17. saemola

saemola TDPRI Member

Edit:
    figured it out!

Hey guys,

I finally received my Fralins.
    I started out trying a standard US Fat Tele wiring, which I found here:
    [​IMG]

Bridge pickup works perfectly, but the neck pickup sounds thin and about 25 dB lower. Any idea on how I can troubleshoot this?
    A few notes:
    - my neck PU has 3 wires instead of 4 like the one pictured, one black, one white (which I soldered in place of the green in the schematics) and one stripped (which I soldered to the volume pot ground). Is this correct?
    - my neck pickup has 3 wires, one white (which I soldered in place of the yellow one), a black one and a blue one (which I soldered to the volume ground together with the black one)
    - my pots are 500k, so I didn't use the extra resistance pictured
    - I also didn't use whatever red thing is pictured between the two volume pin (treble bleed I assume?)
    - the last TO GROUND wire from the tone pot... what is that supposed to be? Isn't my Tone cap already connecting volume to tone to ground?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  18. saemola

saemola TDPRI Member

Hey @Teleterr
    I tried what you suggested and I think I got it half right in that I think I got the in series sound, but the in series OOP was not quite right. Could it be that I got it half out of phase?
    I did get the frequency notching and narrowing of bandwith, but not quite as in the video I linked. It was quite a lot more broadband.

Each of my pickups ha 3 wires and I found that the only way to make it work was to have both pickups go to ground at all time. Does that change anything and am I doing anything wrong you can point at?

19. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

20. saemola

saemola TDPRI Member

Thanks @Tim S
    Fralin suggests 500k for both my pickups. Wouldn't the resistor take it down to 250k?
    They sound perfecly balanced when in parallel.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.