1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5-way switch for series/parallel options in HH Tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Otter, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Otter

Otter TDPRI Member

I've got an Esquire with a humbucker bridge wired as below for series/split/parallel operation. I really like both the series and parallel sounds, not too enthusiastic about the split sound (it's just like the parallel mode but with hum).

Now I've been thinking about adding a neck humbucker to this guitar and I was wondering if it might be remotely possible to get series and parallel options for both pickups on a 5-way switch. What I'm thinking is:

1. Bridge coils in series
    2. Bridge coils in parallel
    3. Both pickups in parallel
    4. Neck coils in parallel
    5. Neck coils in series

Anybody know how to do something like that with a 5 way switch?

[​IMG]

2. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

I think you have to go push pull route here. I definitely could be wrong, but with a standard 5 way I don't think it's possible. Super switch could work maybe?

Otter likes this.
  3. Otter

Otter TDPRI Member

Thanks. I'd be happy to use the super switch if necessary, but I'd like to avoid push/pull pots. I find them to be very good as switches, but not so high quality as pots. They always feel flimsy and cheap.

Would be a much cleaner UI with a 5 way switch and no push/pull pots.

I don't have a good mental concept of what the super switch does. I mostly build pedals and amps, so I'm familiar with plenty of toggles up to 3pdt, but there't a lot more going on in those blade switches.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  4. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Can't be done, even with the 24-lug superswitch. You need two poles for each pickup to get the coils series/parallel option, and another pole for pickup selection. Your best bet (IMHO) is to go with a 3-way pickup selector, and a couple of DP/DT switches to configure the coils. Could be p/p, could be mini-toggles.

5. Otter

Otter TDPRI Member

What if I got rid of one of the parallel options? E.g. if I don't need parallel option on the neck pickup.

1. Bridge series
    2. Bridge parallel
    3. Both pickups
    4. Neck series
    5. ?

6. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Couldn't you use the same two poles for BOTH pickups, and just ground-out the one that's not intended for use in the given position?

7. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I think it can be done with a superswitch. I did a couple variations last week on a partscaster with 2 Buckers. I put buckers in series matched with paired coils (one from each pickup) in series (one option), and in parallel (other option, not at the same time) along with retaining the normal 3 way options.

the key is ya give up the idea of using one track as the output to the pots. the wipers need to provide switching options

Edit: ok... think I have it

P1110381.JPG

but on second look, I kinda screwed up maybe. what I drew puts all 4 coils in parallel on position 3. if you want 2 buckers in parallel on position 3 do this to both sides of the switch...
    P1110382.JPG

put the normal ground wires for the pups to ground. everywhere it says "pots" it ties to the volume pot. note the empty holes on the switch.... in those positions the coils are open so no signal from the pickup

Otter likes this.
  8. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

also, watch which way you start the wiring or the order will be reversed. the "wipers" I drew as squares. those are the fixed contacts. the throws are circles and represent to positions of the switch. I'm a crappy artist but it should work. another thing to remember is whatever you wire on one row won't matter on the others in most cases

Otter likes this.
  9. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hey, I think Dogmeat is on to something there.... I stand corrected.

Otter and dogmeat like this.
  10. Otter

Otter TDPRI Member

That looks pretty awesome dogmeat, and with my understanding of the super switch, I think it'll work!

Now to find the right neck bucker to pair with the Chopper T...

dogmeat likes this.
  11. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I'm excited for you! I've done a couple of these lately and it makes for some great sounds. I spent hours on my first version, then once I had a working example I could see the error of my thinking

one trick I learned doing mine is the take the paired centertap to a terminal and have the associated wiper go to ground. in that position you get single coil, and any other switch position you get a normal humbucker. works if all you need is parallel coils. if you need series with another coil you have to switch both ends of the center tap (unless thats the final ground connection). I think you can do just about any crazy thing a guy can think of with this switch

note that the top half of the switch makes first contact at it's farthest set of poles. the bottom half of the switch makes contact with it's nearest poles. I started visualizing each change as a "move up the ladder" like one rung at a time

12. Otter

Otter TDPRI Member

I wonder what would sound better in the middle position: neck and bridge in series/parallel (like a regular humbucker guitar), or all four coils in parallel (maybe kinda stratty?).

This is really awesome work dogmeat. You've not only solved my problem, but made me completely understand the super switch. It's just a 4P5T, not sure why it's never labeled as such.

beanluc and dogmeat like this.
  13. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

once its set up, its only a few wires to change if you want to try a different position 3....

and yeah, only just last week I started foolin' with it so it was fresh in the 'ol noodle

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.