5-way switch/bridge humbucker wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jshape, Jan 12, 2014.

1. jshape

jshape TDPRI Member

What's up, y'all! After looking around at some other posts, I think it's possible to use a standard Strat 5-way switch with a 2 pick-up Tele. Would anybody be able to direct me to a schematic for a Tele with a standard 5-way Strat switch, hot-rail humbucker in the bridge, standard Tele single coil in the neck, 1 volume, 1 tone, and with the switch positions as follows:
    1 bridge humbucker
    2 bridge split
    3 neck + bridge humbucker
    4 neck + bridge split
    5 neck

Is this even possible? Thanks for the help!

2. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

3. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

It's possible, I've got an import (cheap douglas spad ) that came wired this way, but I don't think I have the schematic, the one on Rondo's site show it with different wiring.

4. jshape

jshape TDPRI Member

Man, it doesn't seem like this would be such an uncommon scheme, but I can't seem to find a diagram for it. I can't even find it on Phostenix. I found a prewired package of this set-up on Ebay, so it's got to be doable. It just pains me to spend $150 on it when I feel like I should be able to do it myself. I just can't seem to find the schematic anywhere. I think I'm just going to start soldering and see what happens. Maybe I'll stumble across something else I like by accident.

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hey. If you want
    1. Bridge humbucking
    2. Bridge humbucking + Neck
    3. Neck
    4. Bridge split + neck
    5. Bridge split

That is easy to do w/ the standard strat switch.

I'm struggling to draw any other possibilities w/ the standard strat switch. Now if you had a 5-position, 2 pole or 4-pole switch this would be easy..

6. jshape

jshape TDPRI Member

Yeah, that scheme would be fine. Looks like it's the same tones/combinations I'm looking for, just in a different order, which doesn't make a big difference to me. Do you have a diagram for this? Thanks so much for your help!

7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

I have pointed to the "common lug" to emphasize that it is best that you locate the common lug on your own switch before you start following a wiring diagram. The view should be from the bottom of the control plate as it would be when you are soldering it.

The SD pickups I think are usually out of phase with Fender pickups. If your neck pickup is Fender you may want to pre-emptively reverse the phase on the SD bridge pickup, that would be accomplished by exchanging "BLACK" with "GREEN" in this diagram

Oh and you will need a bridge ground wire running to the back of the volume pot
    not shown.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.