5-way Super Switch Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by stratguy23, Sep 1, 2017.

1. stratguy23

stratguy23 TDPRI Member

I was wondering I know the 5-way Super Switch is 4 independent 5-way switches, is it possible to wire up four different options and switch between them i.e. use each 5-way switch with different switching (to get 20 different sounds)? I have a guitar that will have a humbucker in the neck and a Strat pickup in the middle with a tapped Tele bridge pickup

For example
    have one option be the standard for a 5-way switch
    have one that does all of the various series combinations
    have one with the neck humbucker split to a single coil
    have one with the pickups out of phase

These were just rough ideas, but I was thinking it would be much easier to get a ton of sounds with the 5-way switch than having a bunch of mini toggle switches for series/parallel, in phase/out of phase, and splitting the humbucker/tapping the bridge pickup.

2. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

I use a 4-pole 5 way switch with a S-1 to get almosr all of what you are asking for. Out of phase has limited uses but it could be done as well. Search around here for Tubejockey strat mods. If I get home later I will post the schematic.

3. stratguy23

stratguy23 TDPRI Member

That was one option I was thinking of. Adding the S-1 would double it to 10 options correct? I wouldn't use out of phase much, but it is a cool sound, maybe I could just add a phase switch. I'll look for that diagram, but feel free to post it here too if you would like.

4. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Not exactly. The S-1 is just a 4PDT switch you can use any way you want. This diagram is for a SSS Strat, but you can add some push-pulls and do your thing with the HB. There are no redundant positions, things are laid out logically, and every position sounds good. The half-out-of-phase positions such as B-(MxC) are very useable and musical compared to full out-of-phase.

Attached Files:

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It doesn't work that way. The SS is a 4P5T. The stock 5-way is a 2P5T, not a 1P. And it's unique in that the in-between positions cover two switch terminals. That alone takes more wiring with a SS.

I have a circuit you might like. It's from John H, a member here, and on guitar nutz, where I found this. Let me clean it up a bit, and I'll post back in a bit. It is for a SSH setup, and offers all normal, series, and oop positions, as well as coil tap, and the ability to blend a bit of bridge into the other positions (I think, going from memory here). It's very nice. I used it in one of my Strats a few years ago.

6. moosie

OK, here ya go. I've modified it to be HSS, and it offers all stock Strat positions, plus N+B in parallel. Also all three possible series permutations. Phase switching for all six combo positions. The humbucker can be coil split, affecting every position it's used.

The only quirk is the "hidden" Middle position. If you want the middle pickup alone, you need to select position #4 (Neck + Middle), also select Series (pull switch), and then roll the blend down, removing Neck.

Aside from it just being impossible to do more cleanly, and still include all this other stuff, is that many people never use Middle alone. It's primary purpose seems to be to combine with Neck or Bridge, to get the quack, or series positions. If you rely on finding Middle frequently, without fuss, this is probably not for you.

I forgot to put in the legend: the Blend pot blends in / out the neck-most pickup in any combination. This is unlike a traditional Strat blend, where Neck or Bridge is added to any existing selection. Think of this more like a fader, to dial OUT some of the "warmest" pickup in the given combined setting. Yes, it's confusing.

In fact, I don't care for this scheme. I wired it into a Strat and used it for over a year. Kinda cool, has all these sounds, but in reality I VERY rarely used out of phase, and with the humbucker I didn't need a faux-humbucker series sound as well. Mostly, I stayed in the parallel (stock) positions, and if I'd ever venture beyond, I'd need to "crack the manual" to figure it out. Too busy.

But hey, you asked for busy. Even if you don't end up caring for it, perhaps you need to decide only after experimentation, as I did.

If you look this over, you may begin to see that it's not just "pole arithmetic", like you seem to be thinking. I have an extra pole, so I can multiply the settings times 2. Simply doesn't work that way. Many options require moving more than one connection. A pole is a connection, not a whole setting.
    Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 4.38.57 PM.png

Teleterr likes this.
  7. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Have you ever tried the half-out-of-phase option like I posted above? It retains the low end, but adds a nice upper midrange to the sound. Nothing like out-of-phase.

Teleterr likes this.
  8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I ve made guitars w up to 28 different sounds and ended up just using 5 at all and mostly just 3 of those. OoP IMO is very limited .Good for sci-fi effects or weird funk . Unless you ve heard lots of demos that you liked, I d have it low on priority. The combos should all be very different sounding. Were you thinking of having the Neck included with the others in series combos ? Using a Strat M and a tapped Tele bridge you ll get 4 sounds for series. G-M-B-+ will sound pretty different from G-B-M-+. I just did that last month.

9. moosie

Yes, but I don't see it for this design. I only like the HooP in parallel, not series.

As I've said, this is not my favorite scheme. It's more of an exercise, to explore which settings one likes. Seemed to fit the bill for the OP, who kinda asked for that...

10. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

My new tele has a 5 way with the standard 3 positions, + Series (in phase) and parallel HOoP. Needs a superswitch for these options, though.

11. stratguy23

stratguy23 TDPRI Member

Thanks moosie and tubejockey I appreciate the wiring schematics. I will probably end up settling on fewer combinations, but at this point I want to try to make a super versatile guitar that can cover most any tone I'd like. The series and out of phase idea mostly stems from Brian May who used that sound to great effect at times. I figure if there are sounds I don't ever use, I can simplify things, but I'd like to get a feel for out of phase, half out of phase, series, etc with these pickups. I do like the idea of having access to out of phase sounds to cut out the bass as I have a use for that at times. Thanks again for taking the time to make these wiring diagrams!

moosie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.