1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5 Way Rotary Switch Troubleshoot (Neck Pickup Will Not Work Alone)

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by The_Doctor [EV], Apr 20, 2019.

1. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

Alright so I rewired my Epiphone Dot Studio a few months ago. New pickups, altered control scheme, all sorts of stuff. But I had wired the pickups out of phase. Left it for a while, came back to it last night and decided to try to fix it. To my understanding with four-wire humbuckers, you just put swap the position of the ground and hot wires and you're good to go.

I think I got it to work, except that now, for some reason, the neck pickup is not working when selected alone.

The rotary switch was wired to neck---both in series---both in parallel---both out of phase---bridge. And it sounds like the neck pickup is actually WORKING in the middle three positions. But it's not working on its own. And I could not figure out AT ALL what's going on with it.

The only thing I DID notice is that, when contacting the lug of the switch that has the lead wire for the neck pickup with anything metal, the signal returns. It's not contacting anything ELSE metal on the switch when I do this. I can also get some signal back by applying pressure and bending the lug a bit, but only when pressure is applied. I also noted a wire that has definitely come loose and is only attached to the volume pot ground, but I could not identify where that wire is supposed to go. Nothing seemed to be missing from the switch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a four-pole switch, and the rest of the wiring is using this scheme.

Basically, I'm just looking for any leads as to what I've messed up here. ANY advice is appreciated.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.