5-way + push/pull + lil59. Applying Bill Lawrence 5-way wiring to 4-conductor pickups.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ppg677, Nov 8, 2019.

1. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

I'm doing a build for a relative who sent me a mess of parts. Telecaster. Lil 59 bridge pickup and vintage Stack neck pickup.

He sent a single pull push/pull tone pot. Ok, will split the bridge coils with that. I heard it doesn't work great with the Lil 59, but can't do series/parallel without a double-pole push/pull so might as well try the coil splitting anyways.

Also sent a 5-way switch and suggested the Bill Lawrence 5-way Tele circuit. I guess I don't see why this wouldn't work with the VintageStack/Lil59 since it is simply adding a position that adds a high-pass filter (to cut out some low-end) and then does this half-out-of-phase wiring as another position (not in series since series would probably sound like mud)??

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/22967-mod-garage-the-bill-lawrence-5-way-telecaster-circuit

From the diagram-- assuming "white neck/bridge" are hot and black is ground-- it appears Position 1 sends the Neck hot wire to ground, but the "black neck" goes through the 0.01uf cap which goes to the signal. I guess this works as the signal just comes from the other side? Then Position 2 adds the bridge hot to the signal as well.

In any case, I'm dealing with 4-conductor pickups (white/red/green/black + ground) and the Bill Lawrence circuit is for 2-conductor (white/black).

For the neck, perhaps I assume that I treat Seymour Duncan "black" as the "white neck wire", and the "green" as the "black neck wire"?

Thoughts?

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, a S-D four-wire is South start=green, finish=red; North start=black, finish=white. To make a humbucker out of the two coils, connect them RWRP in series, or green=common, black=hot, red+white connect together.

Tonetele likes this.
  3. Pimust

Pimust TDPRI Member

I was thinking about this Bill Lawrence 5-way tele circuit for my telecaster but as I didn't have a spare 5-way switch at hand I just took the tone cap of my tele and soldered it in series with the neck pickup to get an idea of how the positions 4 and 5 would sound like. After playing for a while I started thinking about what to do with the idle tone pot so I got an idea to solder the neck pickup lead to the center lug of the pot and put the cap across the outer terminals and connected one of the outer lugs to pickup selector. Now I can use the pot to adjust the ratio of how much of the signal will go through the cap cutting the bottom and how much of it goes directly to switch. To my surprise in the middle of the pot travel it cuts the high end almost like the usual tone pot would do so now the pot at ten will give me the tone of the original circuit with tone at 10 and when I roll down the tone it gets darker until after half way through it starts to brighten up again with slight roll of the bass. I tried pots with different values and discovered that I like a linear 500K pot the most since the high end roll off with one meg pot is too much and 250K too little. I like this circuit especially in a single pickup guitar like my Loar LH350 jazz box or Yamaha Pacifica 510v where it greatly extends the available tonal palette.

4. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

It's all wired up and the 5-way circuit is awesome!! The half out-of-phase is a super nice sounding variation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.