5 Watt World - The Rickenbacker 12 - A Short History

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wound_Up, May 16, 2021.

1. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Tele-Meister

Just, thought I'd share this in case you guys haven't seen this series on YouTube. Keith @ 5 Watt World makes some of the best content on YouTube, IMO, and I just thought I'd post this here for anyone thats interested.

He's done all the popular models from Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, and some others. Anyway. Just wanted to share this with you all. Enjoy!

2. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I enjoy his vids, but he always gets something wrong or misses something entirely. Here, besides featuring an awful lot of 6-strings in his 12-string video, he misses Paul Weller's impact on the Rick entirely... The Jam was HUGE in Europe in the late '70s, and Weller's arsenal of 330s were pretty much the reason I bought one in 1983. He also claims Peter Buck's 360 has an ebony fretboard... now, I may be wrong, but I've never seen a Rick with an ebony fretboard. Ever.

Nonetheless, I'll keep watching.

stinkey, Mr Swisher, Pcs264 and 2 others like this.
  3. hepular

hepular Tele-Afflicted

the other problem is that Williams's videos sound like an academic conference paper. & i did a double-take about the ebony fretboard claim: i mean we're all seeing the pic onscreen & that's the reddest ebony i've ever seen if it's ebony.

4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

As far as I can recall, Rickenbacker used Bubinga.

Pcs264 and That Cal Webway like this.
  5. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 Tele-Meister

Thanks for that, Ive always had a soft spot for Ric's in spite of never owing or even playing one....

The sound is unmistakable and brings me back to childhood memories of the Beatles, Byrds, Beach Boys and the whole British Invasion.

A happy place in time that seems somehow lost or at least left behind... The older I get, the more I'm drawn to the music of the 50's, 60's and 70's. I guess memories are our fountain of youth.

SuprHtr, tomkatf and Chester P Squier like this.
  6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

"Rudolf"?

And didn't Beauchamp pronounce it "Beecham"?

7. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

I owned a Ric 360/12 for several years and my experience with it was like the your best days of owing a boat. The day you buy it, and the day you sell it. Rics are exquisitely built and are beautiful to look at. However, they aren't the most user friendly and in my opinion, a "one trick pony". They are a pain in the ass to restring, keep in tune, and the neck are really narrow in my opinion. They do have the 12 string jangle, but you can get close with other 12 string models that are much easier to play.

8. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I'm kind of stuck with mine... Real love-hate relationship. Rickenbacker painted mine way too dark around the edges and almost natural in the middle instead of how pink a 360/12 normally is. It's beautiful. It needs a neck reset.

FB_IMG_1565189278909~2.jpg

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

As usual, I thoroughly enjoyed Keith's video histories. This was particularly interesting, because in all of these years, I have never even considered this guitar and kinda wondered, "why?". I associated them with pop rock and just left it at that, but just one minute into the video, I already knew the answer. I never really liked any of those bands mentioned that use the Rickys for their sounds. Well, I'll be, but nevertheless the history is fascinating.

I'll bet Keith is hitting himself in the head for the "ebony" comment, but there might be more to that story. I would assume it is pretty challenging to put these history videos together. So, a big thanks for another Five Watt World installment.

10. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I couldn’t have said it any better, word for word.

11. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

Actually, I like yours better than that pinkish sunburst that red Rickenbackers have.

My late brother had a Ric 360-12, either a v64 or c63. The last time we played together in public he played it on half the performance. We were doing all Beatles songs for a nursing home. Great-sounding guitar.

In the video, not only did he get Adolf and Beechum wrong, he also said Glenn Fray instead of Glenn Fry.

They showed George Harrison standing sideways when talking about McGuinn being inspired to play a Ric-12, but failed to explain that it was the headstock layout that tipped off to McGuinn that it was a 12-string, with a combination classical-style and regular 6-string headstock.

12. Chester P Squier

And I've always thought that McGuinn, a former banjo player, was perfectly adapted to play a Ric-12, with its upper strings on the floor side of the run. As opposed of the ceiling side.

I would think you would get a more balanced sound from each string run with an upstroke on a Ric-12.

That Cal Webway and tomkatf like this.
  13. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

It occurred to me later on that Creedence was an all-Rickenbacker band too, at least for the first few albums. That might've rated a mention, too.

stinkey and tomkatf like this.
  14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks!
    I covet a McGuinn and Petty model.
    Some day!

15. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I really like the five watt world channel, that guy is awesome! I've watched most of his videos, highly recommended.

Rev Rhythm and Obsessed like this.
  16. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, some more on The Jam would have been appropriate.

Also, this wonderful Smithereens record.

SuprHtr, RomanS and Slip Kid like this.
  17. Chester P Squier

I heard McGuinn pronounce it "Rickenbocker".
    I heard Petty pronounce it "Rickenbacker."

I call it "Rickenbacker." I was discussing basses with the minister of music at our church. He calls it "Rickenbocker."

Potato, Potahto, tomato, tomahto, etc..

18. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

WTH is going on with Roger Reithsmeissel (sp) in that picture??? I am completely creeped out by that still. 5:35 in the video

19. E5RSY

I call it "Rickenbocker", as well. If you noticed on one of the older headstocks shown in the video, the spelling was "Rickenbacher" with an "h" at one time.

20. E5RSY

A guitar designer holding a guitar body?

Yeah, that's absolutely insane.

That Cal Webway likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.