~5 watt Tweed combo

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Bscotch n Tweed, May 17, 2018.

1. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This actually isn't a bad little amp. With the right speaker it sounds very similar to my 5F1 build. Swap ina Weber CVA8 AlNiCo Speaker would get you very close for only a little dough. The Weber AlNiCo Signature 8S is good too, but I much prefer the CVA8 for a more tweedy tone.

It currently is on sale for $89.99, but most Sundays they have 15-20% off sales and the amp can be had for less than $100 shipped!

2. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

$90 on sale + JJ tubes + Jensen C8R = $150 of tonal bliss

fullsizeoutput_11e7.jpeg

Mr Green Genes likes this.
  3. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

As an option, you can contact MuchXS on TGP.net for one of his Morpheus amps. It is tweed Princeton based, 10" speaker, switchable clean-or-mean switch.
    Impeccably constructed, tuned individually. Should be right around your budget.

EDIT: oddly enough, I looked in the Classified section and one of Eric's amps is available now.
    No affiliation.
    http://www.tdpri.com/classifieds/muchxs-blackface-tweed-amp.3978/

4. PooTwang

PooTwang Tele-Meister

Find a well built Mojo 5f1 or better yet build your own , it’s exactly what your looking for

5. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

It will be a little over your budget, but I really like the Fender EC Custom Vibro Champ. Tweed-based custom shop amp.

If you want really low volume, it even has an attenuation switch. A 5 watt amp that you can turn down even lower. Perfect for low volume situations. I use it that way at home and occasionally on a low volume gig where I have great trust in the sound man.

It also has built in tremolo. Since this is sometimes the only pedal I would use, it often allows me to go straight cord, or with just an OD in front of the amp.

The one thing I miss is a tone control. With an 8 inch speaker, it's perhaps more trebly than I'd like for some purposes. You can adjust that with the tone control on your guitar of course. But it would be nice to have on the amp.

Good luck.

6. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Holic

These are great little amps, I’ve had a couple of them. The first one was measured at 9 watts. Trouble is finding them at an affordable price, they seem to hold value. Possibly a good investment amp.
    I’ve ended up with a Vox AC4HW, which I find easier to dial in good tones. The champ was a bit of a (very good) one trick pony for me.

If I was on a tight budget I’d definitely check out the 5 watt Joyo Champ clone. Hand made in China, punches well above its weight for the money!

7. Karaokesquirrel

Karaokesquirrel TDPRI Member

The new Fender Custom 57 Champ is one of the nicest 5F1s I’ve ever played, and it is less expensive than the Victoria 518 of 5112 (which are also lovely). Full disclosure- I have 3 Champs now, including the Fender above.
    Custom 57s and EC Vibro Champs do pop up used in the OPs price range.

8. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Or a 12"... ;)

jimgchord likes this.
  9. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

5W and 6W tweed. 8" and 12". Jensen ceramic and Celestion alnico.

fullsizeoutput_137e.jpeg

fidopunk likes this.
  10. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

I’d like to chime in for a Gries 5. I bought one last year and it’s perfect for me as a home/hobbyist type. It’s basically a Blackface Champ with a knob that takes the tone stack out of the circuit, essentially making it a 5F1 Champ, plus master volume and bright switch. Great price, GREAT builder to work with. Stands behind his product 110% and very responsive to email.

As to the actual amp, it’s very full-sounding thanks to that 12” speaker, which may or may not be what you’re looking for. It gets great OD in that tweed mode, though knocking the master back will clean it up a bit.

I just love mine to bits and want to chime in for a builder who can definitely hang with the others being mentioned in this thread. My Gries 5, my ‘58 AV Tele, my Strymon Flint and I can’t think of anything else I’d need!

11. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I love the idea of these, but they are all only DIY plans AFAIK. Rob isn't making/selling them, right?

Oh I wish he would.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.