1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5 Watt Tube Amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Whoa Tele, Nov 18, 2016.

1. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

hmmm, I think building a champ clone, cabinet, speaker and tubes-nuts to soup from scratch would be pretty tight for $350, yes someone probably could build "something" for that but it would be surprising if it sounded and looked as good as a Goodsell or vintage Champ. As far as Goodsell's profit margin goes, I don't see any more of the champ clones on Reverb.

Personally I went the VHT S6 ultra route recently and I'm very satisfied.

2. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

No mini Z head owners here?

3. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

There's one for sale locally for $450. I might be interested at that price. I know I could build one cheaper, but the name on the front would definitely have better resale value.

Edit: It was at a Music Go Round on the other side of town. Gone now. Oh well.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  4. mckeeiain

mckeeiain Tele-Meister

I'm not a Marshall guy but Marshall Class 5 is a nice little 5 watt amp. Don't expect it to sound like anything other than a Marshall tube amp...still nice little Class A unit (coming from a Fender & Vox amp tone guy).

Alex W and tweedman2001 like this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm confused - are people criticizing Goodsell for selling a hand wired amp for $700? I have no idea how much the parts cost, or how long the labor is, nor even who "Goodsell" is.

But if the parts add up to about $300, and the time to assemble, test, box up and ship is 3-4 hours, and you have to factor in returns, customer service time, etc, that hardly seems like an unreasonable price.

Just because some people can do it themselves doesn't mean everyone can or will. Or that those who do and sell to others should do so for what, charity?

El Tele Lobo, Alex W and Treynor like this.
  6. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Ooooo bad miss there.....

(Happens to me all the time)

Did you get to crank it up first visit @FenderLover ?

7. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

I just played a BassBreaker 007 combo at Local GC / some guy traded in four new amps on a vintage guitar including also a Fender Edge Deluxe and a new Marshall 40 combo. I would have walked out with the 007 if it had been a head. It hit the EL84 thing pretty good, bass notes a little boomy but speaker wasn't even close to being broken in. At $309 I thought it was a deal

8. FenderLover

I second guessed it, and shouldn't have. I wondered how long it was there, but should have figured it wouldn't stay long.

9. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Well.......

http://www.peerlessmusic.com.au/pro...1x10-combo-amp-brand-new-authorized-dealer-2/

10. FenderLover

I don't think so, only one so far.
    I'd say it is a fair retail price. For those charging more, good for them if they can get it. They are not worth it.

My earlier comment was that it is 'just a Champ'. It's a student amp. It's the easiest amp to build with minimum skill. Analogous to the 'real good' cabinet maker. It's an entry level skill that doesn't warrant top dollar to make a box.

11. KB11

KB11 TDPRI Member

I use the Fender Bassbreaker 007 in the home studio, it sounds pretty good at less than ear bleed volumn.

FenderLover and hrstrat57 like this.
  12. ssmtb

ssmtb Tele-Meister

+1. I've been swooning over the Bassbreaker 007 at my local shop all year long. Last time I grabbed a CV tele and plugged in, set the gain half way, bridge pickup: rock and roll!

@Keith Buchanan have you ever played the 007 in a higher volume setting, with a drummer? It's def on my short list, but the only thing holding me back is I worry it won't keep up with a drummer in an unmiked rehearsal/practice situation...

13. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

GC would ship u the one I played yesterday....still has all the tags on it. She's perfect 100% $309

14. ssmtb

ssmtb Tele-Meister

That's a killer deal @hrstrat57 ! Wonder if I should just bite the bullet and *hope* it can keep up with a drummer....

15. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

It's loud man real loud....I was impressed

16. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I have the VHT Special 6 Ultra in Combo format. I also have the Special 12/20 RT and have just got a pair of 6L6s to try instead of the 6V6s. The "watts" control allows me to throttle back the 12/20 to very low power so it may replace the Special 6 Ultra, I just need a few months to play around with the pair of them to make a fair comparison before making a decision.

17. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I know you didn't ask me, but I have both. And both are plenty loud. The VHT speaker is quite efficient IMO, but I'm not a huge fan of the open back + MDF construction. I thought it hurt bass response a lot. Through my 2x12 or ported 1x12 the low end is MUCH bigger than the combo, and it's not the speaker itself, which actually has a pretty big low end in a closed cab.

18. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

When I was visiting family for the Holidays, I plugged into my brother's early 60's Champ (it was a transition model I believe, so it was really a tweed circuit with black tolex). It was sooooo sweet! Made me miss my Tweed Kendrick champ that I sold years ago. 5 Watters sound great at home or in the studio. You can totally gig in a small place with a 5 Watt Head plugged into a 4x12 or 2x12 cab. Or crank your combo & mic it! The soundman will probably like you more. I also dig the Marshall Class 5, mini Dr. Z, & Blackstar HT-5. I'm considering picking up Panama Conqueror, VHT Special 6 Ultra, or Joyo Beale Street since they are really inexpensive. If I had the funds to throw around, I'd already have a Suhr Corso in my studio...they are Badass!!

19. KB11

KB11 TDPRI Member

Wouldn't think it would hang with a drummer at all. The drummers I play with require 15-40 watts.

20. 19Thinline69

19Thinline69 TDPRI Member

Bugera T5 head is great! I use it with a 2x12 celestion greenback cab or an Orange 8" extension cab. The cab makes a huge difference in the sound. Generally the T5 has enough power to drive a single or double speaker cab, has great tone, clean to dirty. Can't go wring for the size and price.

Kev Reg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.