5 watt champ head into a large cab?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Kmaxbrady, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

I’d like to order one of those 5 watt champ kits, but instead of a combo with an 8” speaker build it into a head and run it through a 2x12 or maybe a 4x10 (Not sure why the 4x10, I just like the idea of it)
    Anyone tried this with good results? Also, who makes the best quality kit?

Jlwctn likes this.
  2. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

Yes, with good results indeed! But I do it with the combo’s speaker output jack.

The combo is so small, keeping it this way leaves little to be lost. Its 17lbs of portability is fantastic! Not to mention, it actually sounds great through the 8” too!

Good luck. Cheers

guitarmikey, darkwaters and Erebia like this.
  3. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've heard the bass from a Champ is kind of out-of-control through larger speakers, is there any truth to it?

4. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a Champ head that MuchXS built for me and play it through an open-backed Lopo 1-12" cabinet. A few years ago, my band's singer was using it at one of our reunion shows. We played one song in sound check, with the Champ stack sitting in front of the keyboards. The keyboard player requested that we move the amp to the other side of the stage because it was too loud.

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've used a champ/15"... as a bass rig for practice sessions for a monitor....DI out to the PA...

it didn't seem to mind or complain...:rolleyes:

or through a 3x12" for guitar....:cool:

BWM Kong check strap on bass.JPG

Vase Cab.JPG

6. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

Years ago, I tried running my 1966 Vibrochamp into my 68 Dual Showman 2x15" JBL cabinet. It sounded like a very loud bedroom amp. Small amps, to me, sound small, even through large, good quality speakers.

7. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

Can you provide a link for this claim? I remember reading it as well. I thought it was here on TDPRI, but it might have been TGP. I have a Gries 5 that came stock with a 12” speaker. It *does* have quite a bit of bass. I ended up getting a Mojo Tone adapter ring to install a 10”. I absolutely love the amp, but even with the 10”, I don’t really turn the bass up over 9:00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Apologies, but I can't, it's just something I read and remember. I think it may have been someone's comment here at TDPRI, too, but I couldn't pinpoint it.

9. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Thats why you get a princeton not a champ

10. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

I’ve thought about a Princeton, but the Gries 5 gives me great OD at reasonable volumes. I’m just a home-hobbyist guy. After using the Gries, I can’t go back to dirt pedals. They don’t feel the same. However, when I did use my Rat, I found the extra bass capabilities of the Gries filled out the bottom end that the Rat sucked out. So, all in all, I’m very happy with the amp I have. What I was asking was about a post I’d read regarding Champ circuits being overly bassy with larger speakers. Seems others have read that info, too. Probably going down similar rabbit holes. Of course, many fine builders use the Champ circuit as a starting point and build amps with 12” speakers. So, that configuration can’t be *all* bad...

11. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Champs are dark. Adding the tone circuit as the tweed princeton does, brightens them up, which makes them more useable in that situation.

Kmaxbrady likes this.
  12. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

dark is good, that’s exactly what I’m going for. Cool.

jimgchord likes this.
  13. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

The Gries 5 is based on a blackface Champ but has a full tone stack and bright switch. There’s also a Gain control that gradually adds mids to remove the black face scoop and get into Tweed tones. It’s not really a matter of the amp being too dark; it has plenty of high end content. It’s more a matter of the bottom end having too much potential to get “woofy” at any thing over 9:00 on the Bass control. Again, I have no problem keeping the bass control low and it’s nice to have the extra range when using a pedal that might suck out the bottom.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.