5 watt Amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by percy, Apr 12, 2019.

1. 68silverw/black

68silverw/black TDPRI Member

The "champ killer" - the tweed Gibson GA-5. I liked my 1960 so much that I bought a 1961 so I could play in stereo! Still paid less for two of these than one tweed Champ.

Treynor likes this.
  2. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    I put a VVR in mine with the Lyle Mods and it is awesome at lower volumes but can be opened up and blow out the windows. But not as easily as my 1971 SL. :D

IMG_1529.JPG IMG_1455.JPG

studio1087, Treynor, tery and 2 others like this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nice, I looked at the mods back when I bought the amp but never got around to doing any. That SL looks clean too. Great rig. I have a Ceriatone 68 JMP 50w lead head. The class 5 gave me gas for a JMP.:)

4. tweedman2001

Thanks. The 4X12 came with G12-65 speakers. Not original but I think from around 1967. Just incredible speakers. I tried using Greenback 25 RIs but the 65s were better and can handle the power better. The 2X12 with the Class 5 is a 2016CX with G12H-30s.

I have a PPIMV on the SL so I can bring the volume down to a somewhat reasonable level but Gaaaawd it can be LOUD! The great thing is with the Lyle mods my Class 5 sounds very similar to the SLP but just doesn't move the pant legs as well. ;)

2013-11-29 10.40.14.jpg

Chunkocaster and Treynor like this.
  5. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

Here's mine. I've also had the AC4C1BL and a Panama Conqueror.

DSL5CCW.jpg

Dukex, tery, studio1087 and 2 others like this.
  6. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm looking for a clean 5w for my father, who is 80 and just learning electric guitar. He's been playing a Martin New Yorker and a D-28s for many years, but now also has a gorgeous '64 Gretsch Country Gentleman. He's been using my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but it's a bit overkill for him. Old-style country (Willie & Waylon) i mostly his thing, though Knopfler is on the menu, too.
    $500-ish? I'm still reading through the posts in this thread to see if something fits.

guitrr and guitarmoron like this.
  7. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

you are never too late to start, good job

Richie-string likes this.
  8. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

9. tweedman2001

Depends on the day. LOL. Seriously, depends on my mood, guitar and playing. They each have their own characteristics.

The Champion 600 which has been modded with the tone stack removed (like a 5F1) and a vintage 6" speaker and tubes is probably my most used as it it is quieter in volume but can still scream and stays out in the living room.

The 5F1 clone also has vintage tubes and speaker and just screams Joe Walsh, Clapton, blues etc.

The Vibro-Champ has more of a BF sound and takes pedals better. With a reverb pedal it's more like my mini Princeton Reverb.

The Gibson GA-5 has a slightly different overdrive sound from the octal pre-amp tube. It's like a 5C1.

And the Marshall is when I really want to let loose on 60s and 70s classic rock.

Honestly they are spread out between three locations and when I am at one for several months I start to go into withdrawal and can't wait to get back and play them.

pixeljammer and TequilaCaster like this.
  10. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

Me love my 5 watters ! I have a Blackheart BH5H stack, but my favorite @home amp is my 2x10 5F1... a cooked RCA 6V6 through 2x10" alnico speakers makes glorious tweed tone !

[​IMG]

pixeljammer, guitrr, Dukex and 4 others like this.
  11. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

One of my favorite 5 watter's is pictured in my avatar; it's one of my home-builds; a 5F1 circuit with a Weber smooth cone in a poplar cab - it really cooks :).

Also have a SuperBaby built by Curt Emory; great sounding and versatile little amp!

And, a MicroBaby which is another Emory amp, but just ~ 1 or 2 watts ;).

And, a VHT Special 6 Ultra, another very good little amp.

Coupled up with the right speakers, they cover my needs most of the time. If I need more, I can always bring out their big brothers :)!

Best Regards,
    Geo.

12. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

O
    Ooooo... that's nice. Custom build?

13. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

A 5F1 build w/ RCA tubes, NOS cornell-dubilier coupling caps, Classic Tone trannies.
    I custom ordered a Tweed Super cab w/ Champ cutout from Armadillo amp works, with the addition of tilt legs ;)

14. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Oh man, I've got this covered:

Single ended 6v6 with a preamp pentode and a cascaded high gain input option, started out inspired by the old valco amps, but very quickly became something entirely original:

IMG_20190318_213427_Bokeh.jpg

Another home build, this one loosely based on a vintage AC4 with both pentode and triode input channels:

IMG_20180727_034011.jpg

An old Gibsonette, parallel single ended 6v6 power section, probably puts out a bit more than 5 watts but not much and the field coil speaker isn't very efficient so it is about the same volume as a typical tweed champ:

IMG_20180409_180103.jpg

Yet another build of mine, single ended 6v6 with octal preamp tubes, based on early tweed princetons with both a grid leak bias input and a cathode biased input:

IMG_20180406_214559.jpg

A micro bassman head, based on @robrob now classic design:

IMG_20170220_230142.jpg

I converted this old tube reel to reel into a guitar amp with a few circuit tweaks, it has a single ended 12BH7 power tube so its probably only putting out 1-3 watts, but it used the other half of the 12BH7 as a driver and it almost sounds like a fuzz pedal when you really crank it:

IMG_20180617_214428.jpg

And my "micro tweed overdrive special", its kind of a Dumble ODS clone with tweed tone controls based off a design from EL34 forums, that I miniaturized with a 6BM8 power section that has it putting out maybe 8 watts:

IMG_20170922_004006.jpg

And lastly, a straight 5F1 tweed champ clone. Its a classic but honestly all the others are better and I've recently thought a lot about selling it:

IMG_20190121_130533.jpg

15. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

The idea of a 2x10 Champ fascinates me. I'm trying to imagine how great it must sound! Which alnico speakers are you running, and can you say how the sound changed by going to a decent sized cabinet with two tens? Thanks!

Shuster likes this.
  16. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Swart ASTjr. or the Atom, has been the best 5w munchkin I've had the pleasure of playing and owning, sounds much bigger!

guitrr and TequilaCaster like this.
  17. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

Far out awesomeness!

18. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Check out a Vaporizer with better speakers and tubes,, bingo!

Believer and TequilaCaster like this.
  19. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

Exactly !

It « opens » the sound a little, better low end, it’s hard to explain with words.
    I use 2 Weber Signature Alnico, one of them being a S.

Shuster, Believer and TequilaCaster like this.
  20. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

I play the '64 Vibro Champ a bit more than the Blonde 20 Carl's Custom Amps amp because it's such a solid practice amp. qdQF9cOaSgaNMx8OnvWKdg.jpg Sometimes I add in an old TS-9 for gain and usually run a bit of Strymon Flint reverb/tremolo pedal. That is about all I need for what I play....

guitrr, Dukex, studio1087 and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.