1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5 minutes of your time, please... (Prog Rock/Metal)

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by ingham210, Oct 14, 2020.

1. ingham210

ingham210 TDPRI Member

Hey folks. I've had this track sitting around since last year and I was so close to finishing but eventually my perfectionism/a break-up halted all that. I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to have a listen to my track and give their thoughts? I kinda worry that it's too boring and slow.

Mind you, there will be some mixing related issues to fix up and there is a solo section with no solo at the moment. I feel as if I want something more flashy in that part but I don't quite have the skills yet.

2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

WOW, nicely done ! I like it alot, tons of potential. fine playing it moves beautifully , and you left a good portion open for lyrics if you desire and even compressed for the net I can hear all the elements.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Greggorios likes this.
  3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Commenting as I listen...

The intro is really good, it drew me in immediately. From there, the arpeggiated guitars are also a great fit for the vibe of the track, though I would tighten them up just a little bit.

The melody lines of the lead guitar are also perfect for the mood you have going on here, this kind of stuff is right in my wheelhouse and I really like it.

The buildup to the next section happens pretty quickly, I might consider revisiting that and extending it a little bit to make the transition into the next section a bit more gradual (I listened to this a few times before commenting).

Coming out of the first heavy section, the lead guitar is fighting for space with the arpeggiated guitar, I would pan it (the arpeggiated guitar) to the side a bit and pull it down a touch in the mix. Again, though, the lead part is still very interesting and carries the track nicely.

Overall, though, it's a very good track and has a great mood to it. Instrumentals (of which I have done plenty over the years) tend to be much more difficult to keep interesting to the listener, and you pulled that off very well.

I would love to hear updated mixes as this progresses!

Greggorios likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Intro seemed 'a little bit Country' .. not sure if that was the intent for Prog/Rock?

'Squealies' are much too forward in the mix, need to drop their volume, especially in the softer sections.

If you're concerned with tempo you can speed up the the track slightly on your DAW just to experiment -- I heard that the overall BPM in the music industry has been climbing because of the constant coffee consumed by listeners.

Otherwise a nice mix.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Wow!
    Really great playing, and tones.
    Thanks!

6. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Thanks for posting. I like it.

7. tubeToaster

tubeToaster TDPRI Member

Very good. Dynamic. Great mix. Excellent playing. Love it

8. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

Not my cup of tea but

Well done
    Good tone
    Good playing
    Pleasant

Thanks for having the guts to put yourself out there and best of luck.

9. decker

decker Tele-Afflicted

Very nice I210; great sound.

10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I like it a lot, Jacob.

Really good stuff.

The unexpected rest on C#, then repeating A stepping up to C and then back to C# (right after timestamp 3:00) really grabbed me and pulled me in.

The stereotypical formulamatic songwriter would have ascended from A to B then to C#, but your route was a much more interesting journey.

:)

Greggorios likes this.
  11. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Real nice. Thanks for posting.

12. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nicely done!! Has an Andy Timmons vibe to it.

13. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

It’s a good song - well constructed. I actually don’t find the buildup too quick, as others have suggested - that’s all subjective though.

The guitar tone is really really good and I love the feel of your playing. You certainly don’t need to do anything “flashier”. The lead playing is very appropriate to the song and incredibly melodic. Great job on that track. You should finish it!

14. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I think it's very good and have no suggestions for improvement apart from the mix which you've already acknowledged needs work. It's definitely not slow or boring.

I don't think it needs something more flashy. You have a good ear for melody and your playing is very tasteful. Perhaps, as it's an instrumental, think of it more like a "middle 8" section than a guitar solo. I'm not suggesting you stick to 8 bars, but perhaps if you shorten that section and think more about composing a melody for that rather than try to fill a long solo section with something technical.

15. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds really good.

I wouldn't add anything more flashy. You "stomped on the gas" a few times for short runs which shows you have speed, but the track has a laid-back vibe that would lose the feel if you went all VaiSatch on it. Other than mix suggestions as above, I would not change much--if anything at all--in the composition.

Tim Pierce has a few solo records out (all instrumental stuff) and this is right in that wheelhouse.

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Very nice.
    I wouldn't call it prog, and to me, that's a good thing.
    I mean dont get me wrong, I love Rush

17. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I like it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.