5 immutable laws of human stupidity

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I love getbent, and certainly wouldn't single him out. Marginalizing people by painting them stupid seems to be great sport all over.

Oh no not stupid, crafty and creative thread runner / OP.

See?
Stuff in text on the net has multiple meanings!

Surely you see his enjoyment of words and meanings in the context of multiple interpreters?

Edit: Nope maybe I missed YOUR meaning WRT bringing up the Cipolla chart?
We could all have jumped in to support the value of all humans no matter how smart they may be!
Missed opportunity to love all our fellow men & women!
Yet, a display of how little it takes to get good men to stand by and do nothing?

Last edited:

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I recall, partly due to growing up without a Father to set an example, I looked to my Mothers various romantic interests passing through the house for examples of ways to be a man, and later when old enough to sit on barstools, got to hear how men talk about the women they say "I love you" to, when their inhibitions are weak.
Our collective reputation is deserved, if not earned by all of us.

This really informed my view of our flexible "good" nature, and long before reading that quote (or saying):
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

These times have many men standing up and fighting for bizarre fantasy realities they somehow came to believe in.
My sense is that falling for crazy claims is stupid, but one need not be stupid or of low intelligence to stumble at the right point and fall.
Consider that internet traps are everywhere, and conditions have made the masses feel unstable and disconnected, so stumbling is inevitable.
Tribalism is probably in our DNA and our tribes have been levered apart by, uh, according to the Cipolla chart, smart people who stand to gain by dividing us and keeping us fighting amongst ourselves while they basically rake in the spoils.
Not that all tribes were ever allied, but tribes agreed on many things because basic human needs and wants are pretty simple.

If allied, Westerners wield great power over their/ our situations.
Because there's so damn many of us and we no longer live in Kingdoms or dictatorships. (Eh?)
So how can/do the few control the many?
Tell us/ sell us/ force feed us lies about each other and create chasms of hatred to keep us from becoming allies.

Falling for highly sophisticated mass media manipulation is harder and harder to avoid.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I recall, partly due to growing up without a Father to set an example, I looked to my Mothers various romantic interests passing through the house for examples of ways to be a man, and later when old enough to sit on barstools, got to hear how men talk about the women they say "I love you" to, when their inhibitions are weak.
Our collective reputation is deserved, if not earned by all of us.

This really informed my view of our flexible "good" nature, and long before reading that quote (or saying):
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

These times have many men standing up and fighting for bizarre fantasy realities they somehow came to believe in.
My sense is that falling for crazy claims is stupid, but one need not be stupid or of low intelligence to stumble at the right point and fall.
Consider that internet traps are everywhere, and conditions have made the masses feel unstable and disconnected, so stumbling is inevitable.
Tribalism is probably in our DNA and our tribes have been levered apart by, uh, according to the Cipolla chart, smart people who stand to gain by dividing us and keeping us fighting amongst ourselves while they basically rake in the spoils.
Not that all tribes were ever allied, but tribes agreed on many things because basic human needs and wants are pretty simple.

If allied, Westerners wield great power over their/ our situations.
Because there's so damn many of us and we no longer live in Kingdoms or dictatorships. (Eh?)
So how can/do the few control the many?
Tell us/ sell us/ force feed us lies about each other and create chasms of hatred to keep us from becoming allies.

Falling for highly sophisticated mass media manipulation is harder and harder to avoid.

Having lived both a very, very simple uncomplicated life in Alabama and Arkansas as a child, and teenager, and now, and for a very long time living in the concrete jungle, I can assure you, the less you have, the more life YOU have. If you want to live life more abundantly, just do like George Straight sang about stuff in his song, "just give it away." I'm not going to follow my own advice because my brain has been contaminated by the dust of the concrete jungle for too long. I just wish I knew then what I know now.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I love getbent, and certainly wouldn't single him out. Marginalizing people by painting them stupid seems to be great sport all over.

He has a certain set of skills he learned as a moderator, that allow him to skillfully skirt the rules, while baiting you into breaking them. He's a wily devil. One of his favorite tactics is (he knows) when a thread is just about to be closed to hurl a jibe at you, that you will never be able to answer, (but couldn't have because of the rules anyway). A worthy swordsmen in the battle against those who would be wrong on the internet! One must give him his due, he is without peer in that which he does! :D:D:D

He is:

giphy.gif

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm no genius but it's been glaringly apparent we're burdened with more stupid people than is good for us for a while now.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I'm no genius but it's been glaringly apparent we're burdened with more stupid people than is good for us for a while now.

Don't worry, we're just like a rabbit factory, we're making more, and more everyday! The odd thing is, no matter which end of the scale you're on, we end up thinking the OTHER guy is stupid! :lol::lol::lol:

Reactions: BB

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Don't worry, we're just like a rabbit factory, we're making more, and more everyday! The odd thing is, no matter which end of the scale you're on, we end up thinking the OTHER guy is stupid! :lol::lol::lol:

That is the 7th law of human stupidity. The 8th law is when someone constantly tells you how smart they are, they are stupid.

otterhound

Poster Extraordinaire
That is the 7th law of human stupidity. The 8th law is when someone constantly tells you how smart they are, they are stupid.
Genius typically shows itself and needs not be declared . I know a few like this , yet they continue to make declarations .

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

Most of what I say about a subject is in jest, but to tell you the truth, there's a lot more truth than poetry in your post. Generally speaking the fellow who praises his own genius, equally excels in obnoxiousness.

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
........So how can/do the few control the many?

I agree, and add to that, that the good and the wise tend to be less confrontational, this leaves the field free for the aggressive, self-serving few to establish a world domination of stupidity.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...s-of-human-stupidity?utm_source=pocket-newtab

When we don't notice how many (the sheer depth and breadth) stupid people there are, can we be counted in their numbers?

I was in a meeting yesterday about an issue where two people were clearly not grasping an issue, concept and proposal to the degree that like a lightning bolt I was struck 'oh man, they are stupid, they aren't just confused, this is past them.'

In a conversation with a friend, I described the situation and my friend said, 'dude, one of your shortcomings is that you totally do not notice how stupid people are, you live in a fantasy land where people are okay and with a little coaching they will get better. But, they won't. They're stupid.'

I came across this (sent to me by another friend.) I guess I should consider it.

View attachment 915659

You my friend, as am I and everyone else, ‘people’ to others.

Last edited: