1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5 BIG mistakes new players often maken (explanation video)

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by c_tecks, Mar 1, 2021.

1. c_tecks

c_tecks TDPRI Member

Hi all,

Are you new to (electric) guitar? I've made a lighthearted video of 5 BIG mistakes new players often make. With the experience of 20+ years of guitar playing, I discuss the biggest pitfalls that I've made or have seen from students and other players out there.

This is the first video I've made where I'm talking for an extensive amount of time. So this is kind of a test to see how it goes. Keep in mind, I normally don't speak English. Anyway, I'd also like to ask what you think of the video itself, is it somewhat clear/lighthearted/funny? That's what I was going for. Nothing too serious. Although the message itself and what I talk about is definitely meant serious.

Also for the more advanced players here, do you agree on these mistakes?

FenderGuy53, Cloodie, Oxidao and 6 others like this.
  2. rough eye

rough eye Tele-Meister

it's good. i like it.

c_tecks likes this.
  3. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

5 big mistakes new video makers often make:
    1) That clickety-click in the left speaker is annoying
    2) The room is too dark. Remember "camera, lights, action"
    3) Recommend a standard style guitar like a Stratocaster, and then show a 7 string guitar
    4) Demonstrate some riffs and have your pinkie (and sometimes your ring finger) curled up
    5) Recommend not spending too much money on a guitar, and recommend a Strandberg

..... the basic points you covered were OK. I could think of others, but then we end up with a number bigger than 5.

Your English is very good (for someone whose native tongue is not English).

schmee and c_tecks like this.
  4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Is this just a link to YT now ?

5. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

"...in the last 20 years, I've seen" says the 25-year-old

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. c_tecks

c_tecks TDPRI Member

I'm not 25 years old and yes, I actually play more than 20 years of guitar.
    Why make a **** comment like that anyway?

BigBillow likes this.
  7. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

it was a lighthearted comment

An older moderator might have more authority discussing 20 years experience at something

As someone who is currently working on my own YouTube channel, I'm probably hyper-critical. I have researched the format, hoping to understand what works and what sounds like a gimmick.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  8. c_tecks

c_tecks TDPRI Member

You should consider the experience of a young person as valuable or even more valuable than someone of older age.
    And you know why? Because young people are most of the time more energetic, are at an ideal age to learn things and have more time than older people.

Does this mean it's always that way? Ofcourse not. I believe anyone at any age can learn anything.

So you actually assume that if you see a video like this and someone says "20 years of experience" and he's 50 years old more valuable or credible?
    I literally think most of the time it's the other way around.

Look at those young talents arising these days like Jacob Collier, Tim Henson or for example Ichika Nito.
    I personally don't know any 'older' people that arise in the scene as such big talents.

As you mention you're also working on your YouTube channel, than I assume you should know better than commenting something rude like that.
    I'm all pro critical, but I think it's really cheap to comment something about age, because you make it personal and it actually says more about you than me.
    I believe that most people that are older and have a 'looking down on younger people' attitude have some issues with their age.
    Now I'm not going to debate about this any further, because it's not worth it, but just think twice before you post something like that again and later on say it was "lighthearted".
    Every person knows that a comment like that is not perceived as lighthearted.

9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

As a person who is struggling with a second language, I say this sincerely:

You can’t take yourself too seriously or be sensitive when accepting either comments or criticism from others in a different language or dialect.

I understand Spanish—mostly. I get the gist (the basic message) of most conversations...but the nuances, the sarcasm and sometimes the humor go over my head.

You asked for a critique, and when a playfully deprecating comment came out, you got angry and offended—even after it was explained to you that it was intended to be lighthearted.

You also exposed a mammoth-sized sensitivity to your age.

After decades of speaking half-baked “Baby Tex-Mex” (Spanish that a toddler would use, in the Tex-Mex dialect), I’m making a sincere effort to learn/understand/speak proper Spanish...but I have to be humble and apologize often when speaking to people whose native tongue is Spanish, because I will accidentally butcher their beautiful language and I will also occasionally misunderstand (or completely miss) their point.

I extend that same courtesy to others...maybe you should take his words (“it was a lighthearted comment”) at face value and get off of your high horse (look up those two expressions if you don’t understand what it means).

10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

First part of your statement:
    Truly spoken like an young person who, brilliant or not, has not walked a mile in the other person’s shoes...they have barely made it a mile in their own shoes.

You got upset about a misstatement of your age...because you are earth-shatteringly 7 years older than the joke about you being 25...

Well, I, for one, was playing on stages all over Dallas/Fort Worth when you were still being potty-trained, so if that 7 years is so important, I reckon my 19 years of experience is even more critical to the future of all mankind...(SPOILER ALERT: It’s not!)

The young players you referenced indeed have great technical ability...and sound like 10,000 other YouTube-taught guitarists. All flash and style, no substance. Displays of every technique they’ve learned (but rarely anything actually creative or musical). Series of near-impossible riffs do not make a good song. It’s like a movie with no story or dialogue, just scene after scene of stunt persons jumping off cliffs or chasing each other in cars...and yes, they are better than me—technically—but they couldn’t write or play a song that would make a multigenerational crowd enthralled and entertained at the same time if their life depended on it.

Also, 90% of what players like that “create” is a bad rehash of things Joe Satriani did 35 years ago and a horrible reimagining of what Joe Pass did 65 years ago.

You got upset when someone commented about your youth, but you dismissed the value of age and experience.
    Beware the old man who is still able to play a young man’s game...he will always have a trick the youngster hasn’t found yet.

Let me expose you to a big secret:
    All of this is vanity and a striving after the wind (thanks, Solomon)...don’t take yourself so seriously.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  11. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Pretty good synopsis for the internet.

Oxidao likes this.
  12. 4wotitswurth

4wotitswurth TDPRI Member

Snip
    Well, I, for one, was playing on stages all over Dallas/Fort Worth when you were still being potty-trained...
    Snip

sorry, not post related, but simply to say, many fond memories of jj blues bar, white settlement road Fort Worth, Holland k smith, Kenny traylor, and late night blues sessions, marveling at the skills of those guys.... long gone now, but such good times.

Fiesta Red and nojazzhere like this.
  13. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

sorry if I offended the OP with my comment
    the post stated "I'd also like to ask what you think of the video itself" and I pointed out a quote that got my attention
    Here's hoping for success at your YouTube future

14. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Holland K. Smith is still around - I saw him at Fred’s a while back. Of course the Blues Bar has been gone for years.

Fiesta Red and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I didn't know **** when I was 32. Just sayin.

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Your video has some amusing humor in it.....don't spoil it by getting defensive about some "tongue-in-cheek" criticism. You're actually more likely to get supportive comments here on TDPRI than you will in the harsh world of Youtube.
    Like someone else mentioned, I knew EVERYTHING at age 32, only decades later did I realize what I DIDN'T know. Good luck.

c_tecks, Doctorx33 and Fiesta Red like this.
  17. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Damn, YouTube people be hating hard. What’s the problem, guy posts a well intentioned video.

Sure, not directed to someone middle aged, but as someone with back problems, I wish I had improved my posture years ago.

Much more worthwhile than a video about a $400 stomp box.

maybe people be offended because he’s telling us we need to practice to get better... instead of ‘buy X and enjoy tonal nirvana’ o_O

hemingway and c_tecks like this.
  18. c_tecks

c_tecks TDPRI Member

FIY my girlfriend told me today I shouldn't shave myself, because she doesn't like the young boy look.
    For sale: my girlfriend.

19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Wow....you can sell a girlfriend in Belgium?
    We've got laws against that over here. ;)
    (see, that's how humor works)

c_tecks likes this.
  20. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Don't sell her. That's what a young shaved Belgian would do.
    Go real hairy, get a fat suit, and tell her you're starting a band:

c_tecks likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.