5?3 Deluxes

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by gobi_grey, Feb 13, 2020.

1. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

The 5e3 seems to get the most attention. I'm curious about the earlier fender deluxes. I noticed that the Dirty Knobs (Mike Campbell's band) use what looks like early deluxe amps. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Mike had been using a wide pannel deluxe in his live rig with the Heartbreakers for years. I'm wondering if my amp collection will need one of these octal preamp deluxe amps at some point. I'm starting to get the bug for one, that's for sure. This video touches on the amps and demos them with some slight mods as well as with the later 5e3. Really nice video.

High Head Brad and etype like this.
  2. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Having built both a 5e3 clone and an octal deluxe with elements of the 5B3, 5C3, and 5D3 amps, I would take the octal versions any day over the narrow panel deluxe. Despite its iconic status, the 5e3 is, depending on your perspective, at best an idiosyncratic design or at worst deeply flawed. When the stars are aligned just so it can really sing, but the earlier iterations of the circuit sound better to me for the most part, most of the time.

High Head Brad likes this.
  3. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

The 5A3 is not going to be as loud as the later 5E3. Great if you are going to mic it but my 5A3 is not loud enough to play with bass and drums unless you are keeping the volume very low.

4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

The 5e3 is a massively over rated one trick pony.

There, I said it at last.

Asmith and High Head Brad like this.
  5. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

I think it does at least 2 tricks, and got one, or two extra up its sleeve. And what it does, it does really good.

Probably not the thing for a bedroom pedal jockey though...;)

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I've gone in the other direction.

1960s amp designers built numerous 5E3- ish amps using the same sample circuits from RCA, Western Electric, etc.. Those guys were tinkerers just like us.

There are old Harmony amps that are part for part Cheap Seats 5E3s.

There are old Silvertone amps that are part for part Cheap Seats 5E3s.

Except...

The old Silvertones often came with trem. They came with trem and they cost less than a clone.

I'm working my way through a bargain bin amp that combines elements of tweed Harvard, tweed Deluxe, tweed Vibrolux, brown Deluxe, brown Princeton and "tuxedo" Princeton all in one amp.

I figure that's the amp to have. It will do the job of $10,000 worth of vintage amps or $5000 worth of clones.

Nickfl likes this.
  7. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I've read this sort of thing before.

How many tricks should an amp have?

Ime with amps, I find a setting that works for me and then get the rest from my guitar knobs.

How many people actually get a multitude of different sounds with an amp without the use of a pedalboard?

graybeard65 likes this.
  8. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Wow..

I'd be interested in reading more about this project.

9. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I agree, not much different than any other amp. It does nice cleans and nice dirt. It does it in it's own way but it's fairly broad and usable sound.

graybeard65 likes this.
  10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

One good one will usually do.

Although...

I keep building chameleons. They change color to match your mood, so to speak.

:cool: :cool:

To make a long story short...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Going back a few years I took on a restoration of a certain very rare bargain bin amp. Said bargain bin amp is an inscrutable point to point rat's nest inside. Even worse, there seems to be half a dozen different versions of this thing and none of them match their own schematic. There is a schematic pasted inside the back panel of each one if you're lucky enough to get the original back panel.

That thing totally kicked my ass. I had so much time into it when it finally was done. I should run screaming every time I see one of these.

Except...

It really is a cool circuit. Like I said, it combines elements of tweed Harvard, tweed Deluxe, tweed Vibrolux, brown Deluxe, brown Princeton and "tuxedo" Princeton all in one amp.

I'm not going to just blurt out what it is. It's exceedingly rare and like I said, there seems to be half a dozen versions of it. Not all of them are good. Most of them are the inscrutable rat's nests I mentioned. They all come in cabinets that make Danelectro or Silvertone seem luxurious by comparison.

So far I've developed a slightly tweaked and mostly rationalized tag board layout of everything through the phase invertor. Power supply and trem oscillator are going on a separate tag board.

11. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Magnatone?

12. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

If that one trick is being an incredible amp that can do it all, then I agree.;)

I have never understood this criticism of the 5e3. Mine.is minimally modded (coupling caps and preamp tubes) and it can do ANYTHING. I've got a Blackfaced '76 Pro Reverb, and it sits unused while the Tweed goes with me everywhere.

RomanS and graybeard65 like this.
  13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My 5A3 is a wild and wooly beast.
    It gets that about-to-explode sound better than anything I've ever tried.
    It's almost as loud as a 59 Princeton with 8" speaker (!).
    I only use it when everything is mic'ed and I can keep it right behind me pointed at my head so I can hear it.
    I'm currently considering a TV front Pro that should have that wooly octal goodness in a little more muscular package.

Wally likes this.
  14. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

Since adding a 5E3 to my modest collection, I seldom plug in to anything else when playing just for me. That thing just seems to breathe and add dimension to the tone that the guitar and my hands bring to the music.

My finding has been that the least change in ANY knob in the chain seems to make an impact on what comes out of the speaker -

To be completely transparent - I owned a 5E3 more than a decade ago - and didn’t know how to use it. I had it a while, and sold it before I really understood it. I don’t regret trading it away, but had I known then what I know now, I’d have hung on to it!

15. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

So, you are saying it is a great, versatile amp... once you fix its biggest design flaw?

16. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I built my 5e3 in 2008. Still makes me grin. Maybe I'm just easily amused.

RomanS likes this.
  17. charlie chitlin

Did anybody watch enough of that video to know if the input mod accomplishes the same thing as putting a shorted plug in the other input?

18. charlie chitlin

A 5E3 is one of the most useful, versatile amps ever.
    It might not be everybody's cuppa tea, but anybody who thinks it's a one trick pony either hasn't properly explored one, or just doesn't care for what they do.
    I've played one trick amps, and this isn't one of them.
    It not only sounds killer, but it holds the tarp over the fire wood!
    IMG_20200110_113332~2.jpg

Ricky D., robrob, RomanS and 2 others like this.
  19. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

They didn't really say, unless I missed it. Just said they switched a couple wires around. I don't think they specified which ones.

20. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Neil Young gets a few different sounds out of the 5E3 by taking advantage of the inter-dependent channel volumes, by manipulating the volume of the channel you're not plugged into it gets several sounds. That's the beauty of that circuit.
    Al

DADGAD, High Head Brad and BrewerDoer like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.