1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5-2 or 2-5 pickup?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ballynally2, Sep 16, 2020.

1. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

midrange depends on the mix of magnet, type of wire and windings.
    A higher output pickup carries more mids. A classic low wind pickup is rather scooped, especially in the neck position, especially, though not exclusively, on telecasters.
    Most tele players have had bass issues w the classic neck pickup when playing in a live setting. No cutting mid-highs around 1 kHz. Turning your (Fender) brown-/blackface amp's volume up and you make it worse.
    You have to chose your amp's settings to either your telecaster's neck or bridge pickup.
    As the tele bridge pickup is more even in frequency response it's clearly the best to set up yr amp with that. Then the classic neck pickup will sound very bassy w not enough highs. The other way around will make the bridge pickup sound thin.
    Answer: an EQ pedal. Or a different neck pickup..

2. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Science marches on!

Nobody in the audience gives a crap. C’mon. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? 2 or 5?

EDIT: sorry. might not have had enough coffee yet. My point, and I might have one, is that talking about alternative magnet formulations without looking at specific data (i.e. a frequency response chart...) is sort of like dancing about architecture, if you know what I mean.

Take a look at this thread, by our accomplished colleague, and then have a discussion about the actual data. Would that be more illuminating or doesn't anyone care to be confused by the facts?

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/measured-electrical-values-of-various-telecaster-pickups.665808/

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.