1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

5-2 or 2-5 pickup?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ballynally2, Sep 16, 2020.

1. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

Ok. I know of 5-2 pickups, meaning alnico 5 for the bass and alnico 2 for the treble strings.
    Given the fact that a lot of neck pickups, especially on telecasters have overbearing bass and not enough treble i can see a point of having a less strong magnet for the bass strings and a stronger one for the treble strings. That would even out the issues neck pickups display. Yet, every pickup maker does the opposite.

The old way of lowering the bass side of a classic A5 neck pickup to even out the differences in pull seems to me evidence of my way of thinking.
    Am i missing something?
    I did leave out winding/output issues on purpose.
    I am more interested in the ideas..

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Gd points

Since the B & G can be dominant I can definitely see having a 2 on those,

but not the high E, although that supposedly would impart more treble tone on that string from the 5.

3. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

I've never found overbearing bass to be nearly as bad on Teles as on Gibson-types with humbuckers or P90s. I'm more bothered by a weak high E, a thing that seems to afflict several of my guitars.

MickM, That Cal Webway and schmee like this.
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I dont think it's a "strong " thing. It's that the A2 produces less bright/smoother sound and the A5 is cleaner than the A2. ...........Right?

RomanS and Wally like this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

It's not really that A2 magnets are more bassy and A5 are brighter - it's more about softer and harder attack. And I have never heard anyone say that tele neck pickups are too bassy. The complaint is that the highs are too attenuated so it's mostly midrange, not bass.

6. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

A2 and A5 produce about the same output, because even though the A2 is a weaker magnet, the alloy has a higher permeability, which is also a factor in the overall voltage output that is generated.

I bought a "5-2" from China, but they made it wrong, compared to the Seymour Duncan it was probably meant to mimic. They put the A5 under the plain strings and the A2's under the wound strings, but I actually liked the result none the less. The original stated intention from Seymour Duncan was to help balance things out, but often times imbalance has a good musical effect. Having the bass strings sound softer and the treble strings sound a little more forward creates a wider separation between them sonically. If you try to make the treble strings mellow, and the base strings "clear and crisp", you make them sound more alike rather than less alike, and they wash together more. I'd sell the Chinese' pickups mix as "making the bass strings more bass-like and the treble strings more lead-like".

7. wabashslim

Yet the Duncan Pearly Gates is bright, even twangy, with A2s...

No generality is wholly true, including this one.

Antigua Tele and That Cal Webway like this.
  8. schmee

It is funny, some Tele's seem punchy, bass emphasis, warm on the neck pickup to me for sure. But yes, some add a bright top to that. Go figure.

9. schmee

The weak high E bugs me on guitars in general. I always wanted to try this using one of the 3 pole pickups available...: :lol:

[​IMG]

10. That Cal Webway

I'm normally used 9 or 9.5 string sets

But on my telly I use a 10,
    and a 12 on the B string

11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

polepiece-adjustable pickups might be a more elegant solution!

That Cal Webway and Wally like this.
  12. schmee

They dont get there usually! When the pole is too close it hits or sounds different.

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have some pickups with A5 magnets and some with A2 magnets.

The pickups with A5's are all set at low height adjustment for the best sound.
    The pickups with A2's are set higher for the sweetspot.

Which ever magnet number you get will have it's best sound height adjustment according to how the guitar sounds and what the player's likes are. So what the magnet number is will not matter as much as how the pickup is setup.

14. DrB

DrB Tele-Meister

I say 3 > 5-2 or 2-5.

B :)

15. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I thought 3 = 5-2 :twisted:

Personally I don't see a need for a 5 2 pickup you do different things with the high and low strings so why should they sound the same.

DrB likes this.
  16. That Cal Webway

Ez as

π

17. wabashslim

You just watch - Guitar Fetish will be out with one within a year.
    "YOU ASKED FOR IT!! Anouncing another GFS exclusive, the Tripoli (Triple E) Crunchy-Puncher. Modeled after my own vintage 1932 Philco 5-Band Electro-Coil..." etc...

schmee likes this.
  18. schmee

Part way there, now just need the 5 pole banjo version! Separate Volume control for the High E string!
    [​IMG]

Asmith likes this.
  19. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

The classic telecaster neck pickup has the reputation of sounding dark, as do humbuckers.You might see that as lacking highs in relation to lows.
    The difference between a tele neck and bridge pickup is obviously large. Less so with humbuckers.
    Different types of magnet w different windings will have an impact.
    The typical Stratocaster neck pickup is quite bright and Fender's Twisted pickup is, i think, a take on that.
    So is my Lollar Royal T which IS bright.

I see the point in A5 magnets in neck pickups. They are very punchy and focused. The A2 (like my SD A2 pro)is a little less focused, more mellow. The highs are also attenuated.
    It is a fact that our ears hear the treble clearer and that the A5's attack simply has more highs which helps with the focused bass to level with the treble strings.

My solution for 'bassy' neck pickups(especially low wind)is to use an EQ. My Strat has 57/62 pickups. Only the bass (of the neck pickup) needs attenuation.
    My telecaster needs a tad less bass and more treble.

In the end it is still a combination of factors, including the amplifier..

20. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

i left out output on purpose because that is a factor of various elements. There are more ways that lead to Rome.
    I like your comment about permeability but am not sure what that means outside your output comment..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.