5-15W tube amp for rockabilly hobbyist?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by kmckenna45, Jun 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. kmckenna45

kmckenna45 TDPRI Member

I have a Monoprice 15w. It’s pretty good, but I’d like to invest in something that will get me that rockabilly sound - after I add my delay pedal. I’m mostly a hobbyist with a Tele. What I really want is a Deluxe Reverb/BassmanPeavey Delta Blues sound in a smAller amp. What small tube amps have you owned or played that could get close to the deluxe rreverb/bassman/Peavey Delta Blues sound - but be appropriate for a basement player? I would consider changing out the speaker in my monoprice - if it would get me there. Thx

2. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

116D005F-5A0A-4B73-83E8-6938E2112898.jpeg The post says nothing about price. My Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 set to 5 watts will do all that and more and out of the basement set to 25 watts will be gigging loud. I use mine with a Telecaster, Strat, SG, and Gretsch Annie through a Fender Mirror Image Delay and love it. It’s even pretty small if you can find a 10”.

kmckenna45 and Tele-beeb like this.
  3. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I dunno exactly what you're after, tone-wise, but my Fender Excelsior sounds great with a little trem, and it sounds like you'll be outsourcing the echo/verb. It might still be a bit loud with the stock speaker (The exy 'PRO' has an arguably better speaker, though probably even louder, and the exact same circuitry). If you can find a nice, inefficient vintage speaker that'll handle 20 or so watts you might do even better.

People do seem to be asking a lot for them these days, though. Market fluctuations, I reckon.

4. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

Too many options to nail it down but if price isn’t an issue

Swart Amps are GREAT for everything you mentioned

That and a cheap Boss delay pedal is all you need

kmckenna45 likes this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

What's your budget for this?

My first suggestion would be a Princeton Reverb, preferably vintage, but that's going to be rather pricey.

The Monoprice 5w is a good and inexpensive Champ type sound but no reverb. It does work well with analog type delays though.

There's also the Tonemaster Deluxe if you don't mind modeling.

Going to really inexpensive modeling, I've liked Hotone's models, especially in their Mojo Diamond Nano Head and Binary Amp pedal.

kmckenna45 likes this.
  6. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Blues junior tweed. Add a good delay and maybe a compressor and you can be bop a lula all night long.

kmckenna45 likes this.
  7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

Budget?

Getting someone to make you a miniaturized blonde bassman/showman would be ideal.

The aforementioned Excelsior has a cool tremelo and is great after speaker swap, and go for $300-$400 when you can find them.

If you can spend a bit over a grand, a brownface princeton will get you there.

Modern amps nominally fall into the "can do it" category for rockabilly, a Bjr, projr, reissue SF, etc can all work, but any of them with some slapback isn't as good at hitting token rockabilly sounds as stuff with a built in harmonic tremelo.

Frenzel makes a mini bassman with built in attenuator, and an optional tremelo upgrade. If you want a head, itll get you good places for under a grand.

If you have more than that in budget, a used Swart, a brownface princeton clone, or something custom built in general will get you there.

Why do you want a lower wattage amp? A 50w head with an inefficient speaker setup will deliver on sound and "oomph" while getting you gigging volume. I understand if you cant go that loud, but 50w is a good sweet spot.

Like I said, lots will work. Carvin had some stuff thatd cut it. At 30w, the peavey DB 2×10 and Orange tremlord exist.

So.... budget?

kmckenna45 likes this.
  8. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Tweed Deluxe, tweed champ, tweed princeton, tweed Harvard, etc...

kmckenna45 and Cali Dude like this.
  9. straightlbues

straightlbues TDPRI Member

You want a tweed era style amp. Tell us your budget and we can recommend some amps.

10. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

YES... budget is the key

and NO, we don't use reverb in rockabilly

My suggestion is that ANY amp with a clean sound can do what you want. When I say ANY I mean ANY. I'll tell you why later

My other suggestion is that a 15W cannot keep clean in a band contest if not mic it

At this moment I have played with a Marshall Origin50, very Bassmanish amp and with 50W loads of headroom, a real Bassman 59 LTD that I sold as the Marshall came in.

BUT now my main amp for rockabilly is THIS:

[​IMG]

Really, a Fender Frontman 212R I got used for 75€. I play my 6120 though a Boss FA-1 preamp clone, a Deep Blue Delay clone (Slapback) and a Boss EQ pedal. Light, powerfull and qood tones if you keep is clean.... yes a SS amp. I can put it in the Twin Reverb ballpark. And I know it because my other amp is... go guess... yes, a Twin Reverb.

[​IMG]

But I just gig the FR212 and keep the TR for studio and recordings or maybe well payed big stage gigs

11. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

For a friend of mine, addicted to rockabilly, a Fender Bassbreaker 15 works best.

12. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

If you play with an unamplified double bass, acoustic guitar, and a drummer playing appropriately for this combo, 15 watts can absolutely be clean. It may all end up mic'ed on stage, but the sound of the real instruments together does not need an arena rock amp.

13. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

Picked up my Excelsior Pro for $250 three years ago, did the tone model and pulled out some NOS RCA tubes out of my collection and swapped out the stock Chinese. Gives me all I need for anything from Gene Vincent to the Animals they are double the price now but with only 800 of the pros available you have to grab quick when they come up for sale

14. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I've got a Louis Electric Columbia, Swart Antares, Vintage Sound Princeton and a few other boutique amps but if you want Fenderesque tones in a lightweight package with a lot of clean headroom check out the new Aviator Cub by Quilter . In my opinion it does a great job and has tweed, blonde and blackface inputs while weighing in around the 20 pound mark.

tonyp145 and kmckenna45 like this.
  15. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I’m there with you. If the mono price has an effect loop I have found a good parametric eq. can make a faux-Deluxe out of any good amp with a loop.

You did ask for a suggestion:
    I like an amp that is the offspring of a deluxe and a bassman, but its angry. I have been happy with my Super Sonic Twin, but I’m a sucker for the big guys.
    I presume the 22 is a great amp?
    I had a small Jet City that was able to do “Angry Deluxe” when ran clean… no real bass though.

16. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

You hit it... appropiately... :lol:

When playing acoustic, I go acoustic, but we take small amps or go via DI to a small PA nevertheless. I share my acoustic amp with tha harp player

[​IMG]

But when the band is complete, we have upright bass, harp, two electric guitars, drummer and fiddle, we cannot go with 15W (drummer is between the light and smoke :lol:) I tried a BJ from a friend and was no happy at all.
    Well at leas is ME and the sound I wanna get. Actually, the other guitar playes uses the same amp too!!!!

[​IMG]

17. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

My band isn't rockabilly, but we have double bass, drums, accordion, violin, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and 3 singers. I have played a 5 watt single ended amp into a 2x10 cab with them, very clean. 3 vocal mics into my rehearsal PA, and the acoustic guitarist has to boost a little with an amp. This is just what's needed to be heard over a decent accordion or violin. Live, I expect the PA to do the work. Our rehearsal volume is pretty much our stage volume. The PA fits it to the venue.

If I can't play with someone with a princeton or a falcon, then it's just not for me.

Lunch meat and kmckenna45 like this.
  18. kmckenna45

kmckenna45 TDPRI Member

Thank you all for your great input. Yeah - after I posted this, I realized I didn't include my budget. The high end would be $700, but I'd like to find something used for $500. I will be looking into all of the suggestions above. Thanks again.

19. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister

My go-to amp for everything the past 6 years is a Quilter MicroPro 8" Mach 2. They're pricy new, but don't hold value well. You can find them used for around $500. Weighs 18 lbs and has a remarkable range of squeaky clean to slightly saturated to heavy OD if you need it.

I play swing in a small combo and it works perfectly with my Gibson L7, but I've seen guys using them in rock and blues bands no problem. It's a remarkable little amp. Sounds great with my 6120 too. I occasionally look at small tube amps, but honestly I bought this to replace a 70s Silverface Princeton and I would never go back. The 2nd channel works for a mic or acoustic guitar. Seriously versatile amp.

vhilts1 likes this.
  20. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Lots of great choices. I don't play rockabilly, but do have a SF Deluxe Reverb. The amp next to it is a Magnatone Varsity (non-reverb), which strikes me as the best sounding 15 watt amp I've ever tried. Somewhere between a tweed deluxe and the DR. Has the softer edge, easy overdrive of the deluxe, with a more defined bass, more volume, big sound in the room. Such a pretty clean sound. Not mid-scooped like the Fender, but not as mid heavy as some tweeds. A very balanced sound.

Lighter than the DR, a little heavier than the deluxe (I think.) Not cheap, even used. Got mine at a real reasonable price. Let's just say it's worth every penny.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.