4x8" speaker options

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by NSB_Chris, May 9, 2021.

1. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The Weber Sig is a less-precise, bigger gap, lower-cost speaker that gets an insanely good rap in small tweeds -- the '50s vibe, I figure. I've heard of several guys using 4 of 'em for micro Bassman or similar builds. If I did that, I'd mix 2 ceramic and 2 alnico -- classic.

Or mix 2 Weber Alnico and 2 of something else ceramic -- another classic recipe.

And did anyone mention? A ceramic 8 that gets super reviews is the Fat Jimmy 8 -- a custom variant of the WGS. One of those super reviews is from me -- I love it in my VibroChamp.

NoTeleBob, JohnnyCrash and NSB_Chris like this.
  2. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I dig the 2 X 10” configuration. When the squeeze was not possible in this cab, I got a 25 watt TT Humbolt in there. Breaking in nicely now. $40 NIB from fleabay. 773F7C47-A88F-4194-BD8B-31771D9F8ADA.jpeg

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  3. NSB_Chris

NSB_Chris Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input and the great links. I have been reviewing.
    At the moment, I am leaning to getting two of each of these:
    • Jensen C8R (25W 93db) $41
    • WGS G8C (20W 95.8db) $50
    Will be nice if I can find a supplier that sells both. Will probably have to source them separately.

PhredE and JohnnyCrash like this.
  4. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

I’m waiting for 11 Guage to say “the MODs are surprisingly good speakers.”

Because I’m pretty sure he said that to me many years ago, and so I bought two. They were 10”s, but they got pummeled happily by a 6L6 powered 50-60 watt JCM800 combo I built.

Still have them. Though they’re sitting in boxes (I mix and matched two very different Eminence 10”s to get a nice, full frequency blend — especially since I modded the NFB for some bass resonance and needed different sounding speakers).

I’m actually going to put one of them in a new build I’ve just decided on (already posted a meandering thread about it)... a Supro Coronet 1690T (Trem channel only, without the Trem) preamp into a single ended 6L6 power amp (7-11 watts).

It’ll be a lower powered Led Zeppelin #1 amp :)

5. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Eminence 820Hs

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  6. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Remember, smooth cone, early break up. Ribbed, later breakup.

7. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Holic

As other folks will be checking out this thread, I thought I'd add my experience of the Weber 8A100T-8 and Jensen C8R.

I bought the weber figuring it was an optimal tweed speaker. Found it very underwhelming, both with my 5F2a and micro 5F3. Lots of middles but no chime, less sensitive, which on a micro makes it almost impossible to get decent cleans. Compared to my Jensen P10R it had nothing going for it whatsoever - which was a big surprise.

THen I tried a s/h Jensen C8R - sounds great. Has more top and bottom than the Weber, especially that crisp ringing chime I want with my Tele or Jazzmaster, for my £25 it was amazing. I'd bought it as a budget back up, very happy with it as a main speaker.

JohnnyCrash and NSB_Chris like this.
  8. NSB_Chris

NSB_Chris Tele-Meister

Sounds like a great speaker, but I believe it only comes in 4 ohm. Really needs to be 8 ohm.

I believe both the C8R and the G8C are ribbed. Honestly, I don't have any idea if I would get any noticeable compression or speaker breakup driving four 8" speakers at the volume levels that I will have. I was basing the decision on comments of frequency response. Both of these indicated that they don't get flubby low end and could hold distorted signal. The G8C sounded like it was a little more balanced and the C8R more emphasis on the top end. I figure all 8" are going to be a little thin on the low end and am hoping the 4X fills that in.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  9. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Here is a clip of a single C8R hooked to a lightly modded 5E3 clone.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  10. JohnnyCrash

I was about to say that too, but I think they’re only available in 4 ohms.

11. JohnnyCrash

Nice treble on that thing!

I’m surprised by some modern Jensens... they’re not all bad. I really dig the modern P15Ns, too.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  12. NSB_Chris

NSB_Chris Tele-Meister

I sourced the speakers yesterday. Jensen speakers were available, and the WGS speakers are on back order. Ugh! More covid impact???
    Purchased the wood today also. Felt like I got the speakers at a good price and got worked on the wood prices. More covid impact???
    Scaled down the dimensions of a Marshall 1960 straight base cab for this build. Will make it so that it can be partial open back or closed back.

13. JohnnyCrash

I read somewhere else of someone paying more than usual for lumber. It may be the covid.

I’m actually going to order another bee box. I only have hand tools these days, so I need prefab wherever possible :D

Can’t wait to see this mini-Marshall cab!

PhredE likes this.
  14. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

Wood prices are out of control high. High demand, low supply, "do the math". A 2x4 is $~8. They used to be $<3. Finish wood has doubled in price. Same for plywood, etc.

As for speakers, I have the 8" Jensen Mod 20. I wouldn't call it "chime-y". It's smooth and sweet. Plenty of bottom for an 8" speaker. I'd probably blend them with something known for more top end if I was going with 4 speakers. Although, if you're playing a Tele, it would probably balance out nicely.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    JohnnyCrash likes this.
  15. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

I'd suggest building the baffle out of 1/4" Baltic birch void free plywood. You're using light weight speakers, might as well let the cabinet resonate and breathe a bit more.

Paul-T and JohnnyCrash like this.
  16. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

I read on other forum that Jensens are "two for price of one" on three shops in US but one shop there was a link did not have any 8".

I don't have experience of other brands or types but Jensen P8R RI sound just like I have thought Champ needs to sound. Previously I had played to various 10" but after I test 8" I bought two more P8R for future low power amp builds.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  17. NSB_Chris

NSB_Chris Tele-Meister

I saw that AFTER I had already purchased, but as you stated, the offer I saw did not include the speaker I ordered.

Honestly I don't know where I would get baltic burch. I have been building with just the best grade plywood I can source locally which is pine. I think Marshall used 5/8" wood. I scaled the inside dimensions by a factor of 1.5. I was going to use 1/2" ply because its a standard size and I want it to be sturdy, but 3/8" would have been closer to a proper scale of the thickness. I have some time, so maybe I will see if I can get something better for the baffle.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  18. NSB_Chris

NSB_Chris Tele-Meister

@ArcticWhite you got me thinking and I am returning the medium grade regular plywood and ordering 9mm B/BB Baltic birch. Thanks for helping me kick this around!

ArcticWhite and JohnnyCrash like this.
  19. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

FWIW, I'm told Marshall was into MDF by the early 70's. My preference is solid pine. Easier to work with.

20. NSB_Chris

NSB_Chris Tele-Meister

Solid pine is where I started, but then wanted to try to keep the weight down. Almost bought a finger joint jig but didn't want to go to through the trouble. Without the finger joints, I would put in extra bracing etc. which would add weight. Thinner sides with bracing at the corners and the baffle seem like it would work well, but we will see.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.