44 Years Ago Today - What Was YOUR FIRST CONCERT ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JJLC, Jul 30, 2020 at 8:04 PM.

1. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/aerosmith/1978/municipal-auditorium-mobile-al-33c624ed.html

2. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

August of '79, Cal Expo fairgrounds in Sacramento.

Opening act, unknown band called Shakin' Street that I later found out included Ross the Boss on guitar.

Next, the Pat Travers band. This is when Pat Thrall was in the band, they'd just released Go For What You Know and it was a scorching set. Watching the 2 Pats trading licks was amazing.

Next, Cheap Trick! In their prime. Rick had not yet gotten his famous checkerboard Hamer Standard, but he still came out with 3 guitars strapped on at a time back then. A great and entertaining show.

Finally, Blue Oyster Cult, also in their prime. The classic lineup, Albert would not be fired for a few years yet at this time. They did the "5 guitars" routine.

JJLC and Skully like this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have no idea. Am I the only one who cannot remember what my first show was?

JJLC and telemnemonics like this.
  4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

...it was probably around 1978, 1979 though.

5. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

IIRC expletive deleted content omitted IIRC content omitted expletive deleted...

7. lgherb

lgherb TDPRI Member

August 3rd 1978.

"The Warehouse" in New Orleans (the venue where the last concert The Doors ever played).

The headline act was The Kinks (Misfits tour).

Opening up for The Kinks was a relatively unknown band at the time that started getting a lot of airplay following the concert. Some band that called themselves "Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers".

The cost of the show was an astronomical $8.00.

(Not to be outdone by that, I saw another "unknown" band about 4 years later where I was one of maybe 150 people in attendance at a concert that cost me $5.00...the name of that band was "U2".)

8. lgherb

lgherb TDPRI Member

I should also qualify that this was the 1st "rock concert" I went to without parents.

I was born in 1963 and grew up in New Orleans...my parents were huge Dixieland Jazz fans and dragged us to the very 1st "New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival in 1969 where we saw Louis Armstrong and Mahalia Jackson play. I don't really remember that, though, because as a 6 year old kid I just wanted to go home and play with my friends.

My parents also took us to a jazz funeral in New Orleans for Louis Armstrong (his actual funeral was in New York, though).

At one point in my life, I had attended 23 of the 25 'Jazz Festivals' at that point in time.

fretWalkr and JJLC like this.
  9. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Chicago, Gorham Maine, probably the late fall of 1970. We were high school sophomores in a gym full of college students ... had some joints rolled, gradually worked our way up thru to front-center at the stage. I was already a fan but this blew my mind, Kath was 'right there' to behold. My first electric was a yellow Tele for good reason!

Quick edit: so, that was nearly 50 years ago - yow! Chicago III was not quite out yet but they played a lot of it and that one has remained my favorite of theirs all this time.

JJLC likes this.
  10. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Three Dog Night, Joe Cocker, and Jimi Hendrix--June 1969 at Mile High Stadium, Denver

11. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

The Cyrkle

Old Plank and JJLC like this.
  12. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

Beach Boys concert in Memphis 1966.jpg I was 12, saw this ad when it first appeared in the paper and sprung for the full 4.00 seats. The ad left off the decimal point. I got front row center. But I was disappointed when Brian wasn't there, replaced by Bruce Johnson. This was '66 so it may have been the first tour without Brian. They sounded great though.

On a side note, John Sebastian with the Lovin Spoonful was playing his '59 Les Paul burst, the first I ever saw. I read later that Michael Bloomfield saw his burst and immediately got one without the bigsby. Bloomfield's picture up on the cover of super session made it look like the coolest guitar ever . Then everybody wanted a '59 burst.

13. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I may have the record for my first concert being 60 years ago. I don't remember the exact date but I took a date to see the Righteous Brothers in Downtown Tulsa. What I do remember vividly is that I got my first ride in a Cop Car down to the Police Station. I didn't go to Jail but I'll admit the ride into the station around Midnight through the alleyway entrance was a bit intimidating.

Just_Once_in_My_Life.jpeg

Lost_N_Austin

14. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

1976, Chicago (the group). My friends thought I was nuts (we were all into prog). It was great music. I did not like the crowds and it was too loud. I had a beautiful girl on my arm...that helped. :D

I saw Yes and ELP, never went to another big-venue rock concert.

JJLC likes this.
  15. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

'75 or '76....Santana with Peter Frampton as the opener. First time I had ever heard of Frampton. Shortly thereafter, Frampton Comes Alive is released and he becomes a household name.

JJLC likes this.
  16. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jefferson Airplane when they were touring to support Surrealistic Pillow it much have been 1967. I saw them twice in the same week at the same venue in Boston. The Unicorn Coffee House. It was in a basement under a commercial building I suppose. The entry was a slightly covered stairwell in the sidewalk.

Old Plank, JJLC and Skully like this.
  17. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

In 1974 we saw The Guess Who , It seems like Mahogany Rush was with them but I could be wrong about that,

Old Plank and JJLC like this.
  18. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I think around 44 years ago, I saw Alice Cooper in concert- amazing show. But earlier than that, my first real concert was seeing Pink Floyd in 1971 at Festival Hall in Melbourne here in Oz. They were touring Atom Heart Mother (pre Dark Side of The Moon). Quad sound panning around the room! Probably the best concert in that era though was Jethro Tull -circa 1972 touring Thick as a Brick.

19. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Meister

WOW, Wet Willie is a fantastic band & I never saw them live. :(

I did see Jimmy Hall (Wet Willie) do vocals & harmonica for the 2016 Jeff Beck tour; it was the BEST Jeff Beck show I have ever seen of the several over the years. Jimmy Hall is the man !!!!!!!!

RodeoTex likes this.
  20. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Meister

WOW ....... what a thread with so many memories, so many bands, so many experiences !!!!
    Many of the bands mentioned I have also seen live, and many I have not.
    Live music is where it's at; a much bigger thrill IMO than listening to a record, CD, BlueTooth, etc.
    Thank you all for sharing; the thread has been epic.
    Keep 'em coming!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.