1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

44 Years Ago Today - What Was YOUR FIRST CONCERT ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JJLC, Jul 30, 2020.

1. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's

Saw the girl Group The Secrets lip sync The Boy Next Door and Dionne Warwick lip sync Don’t Make Me Over at a HS gym. Don’t remember what the main occasion was and it wasn’t really a concert.

I believe my first actual concert was one of those Cavalcade of Stars things in ‘66. Included, but I don’t think limited to: The Tradewinds singing New York’s a Lonely Town (When You’re the Only Surfer Boy Around), The Standells -Dirty Water, and the headliners, a group from England...The Rolling Stones, singing their latest hit, 19th Nervous Breakdown. Brian Jones was with them and they did all the great early stuff, The Last Time, Heart of Stone, Not Fade Away, it’s all Over Now, and Get Off My Cloud. It was epic!

smartsoul72, JJLC, Slip Kid and 2 others like this.
  2. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's

Whoa!!!

3. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Who. 1982.

JJLC, Slip Kid, FORQ and 2 others like this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Rush on the Signals tour around 82

jam01add, JJLC and joe_cpwe like this.
  5. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Feb 1971 in Portland, OR - Neil Young with an opening act that I had never heard of until then - Linda Ronstadt. It was a mind blowing musical experience all the way around and the stadium concert thing was a pretty big culture shock for a 14 year old kid from a town of 10,000 people. Ticket was around $5 as I recall.

JJLC, Stubee, tubegeek and 1 other person like this.
  6. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

Dave Clark Five with the Astronauts, Cow Palace, South San Francisco... late ‘64.

JJLC and Stubee like this.
  7. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Oct. 28, 1966, Dallas Tx, on my 16th birthday, I and a friend went to see the Yardbirds, featuring Jimmy Paige and Jeff Beck on guitar. The show opened with Bobby Hebb, he of "Sunny" fame, and Gary Lewis and the Playboys, then came the Yardbirds. I was quite impressed with the bowed guitar lead in "Over, Under, Sideways Down."

JJLC, Stubee and Ed Driscoll like this.
  8. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

february 1973, Traffic and Free at the nassau coliseum
    tickets were $6.50, $7.50 and $8.50, for the floor seats

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  9. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

Me too.

Rush, Signals tour. Nov 19 1982 Chicago. First of three sold out shows at the Rosemont Horizon.

JJLC and blowtorch like this.
  10. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

1966, The Animals in a small mid-Michigan town teen night club. It was quite an unexpected thing and every single person I know was there. They were a very big band for our little town, and it was quite frankly unbelievable that they came here.

jam01add, tomkatf and JJLC like this.
  11. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

My first concert was Steely Dan at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium (1974) with Kiki Dee as the opening act. She had that one song "I Got the Music In Me."

They didn't tour much so this was a rare appearance. They were a studio band, but when they wanted to, they could really play!

Opening song for SD was "Rikki Don't Lose That Number." I still get chills when I hear those first few chords of the piano. They were in full bloom with their two drummers and a full band & Skunk Baxter. There was Michael McDonald on a small Fender Rhodes up front to the side. Wow. My date was the HOTTEST girl in our high school, a freshman. I was a Senior and she bought the tickets and invited me to take her. Wow.

I still have my ticket stub somewhere in my things. Memories.

2 Headed Goat, Skully and Ed Driscoll like this.
  12. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Technically, my first concert was the Marshall Tucker Band in 1974. I don’t really remember it.

Because I was only 4 years old.

Thanks mom and dad! :lol:

JJLC likes this.
  13. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I must be about the youngest person to post here. Aerosmith 1997 or 98 with Johnny Lang opening. I was a senior in high school.

JJLC likes this.
  14. Seattlesurfer

Seattlesurfer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

CSN&Y in Chicago August 1974.

JJLC likes this.
  15. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I saw them in Atlantic City about that time. It rained and was a mess.

16. dwh100

dwh100 Tele-Meister

7/17/76 Anaheim stadium
    Yes, Peter Frampton, Gary Wright, Gentle Giant

JJLC likes this.
  17. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Some cool shows here that a lot of you guys got to see.

My first show was INXS opening for the Go-Go's at the New Haven Coliseum in 1984. We made it very clear that we were there to see INXS. By the time we left I think I was in love with more than a few Go-Go's. They look like that AND they play guitar?

My second show was a few weeks later, still the summer of 1984 as best as I can recall. By this time I was an old pro, I figured. This show was Aerosmith on their "comeback" tour opening for Billy Idol. This time we didn't need to tell anyone that we were there to see Billy Idol. It was pretty obvious to the real old pros who were all drinking beer out of the trunks of their muscle cars in the parking garage. I felt somewhat diminished in my muscle shirt in the face of these older guys who had actual muscles, and muscle cars to boot.

There were a few more MTV bands that we saw that year and the next few.

Then I saw the Ramones underage in an 80's beer hall. The effect was sort of like when you read a history book and they note dates as BC or AD. Everything that happened after that Ramones show happened to me, Nightclub Dwight as I am known here. Anything that happened in my life before that Ramones show may as well have happened to a different person.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  18. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Hawkwind 1973

houseofnine, JJLC and EllroyJames like this.
  19. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I popped my first gig cherry at Bath Pavilion on 18th August 1976. Motorhead was on first, followed by AC/DC. Motorhead was deafening and we could feel the bass thudding through the floor. Then AC/DC came on and tore the place apart once we'd gotten over the 'schoolboy' lead guitarist disbelief. Bon Scott sure knew how to rev up the audience too.
    My ears were ringing for ages after that double aural onslaught.

JJLC likes this.
  20. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Oh, the shame ....

tumblr_mdlh56Rrnk1qc7ahio1_400.jpg

Fellow Aussie members may remember William Shakespeare, a two-hit wonder from the '70s. He played the Narrogin Town Hall -- early 1975 I'm guessing.

JJLC and Rustbucket like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.