44 Years Ago Today - What Was YOUR FIRST CONCERT ?

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
I believe 1978 - Lynyrd Skynyrd, J. Geils, and Frampton headlined at JFK Stadium. Excellent show. Interestingly, I am reading Framptons book ‘ Do you feel like I do’. The concert was to be 115000, but his manager Dee Anthony, who had mob ties, printed 25000 counterfeit tickets and pocketed the proceeds. I recommend the book, some interesting insight to the industry back then and to how and why Framptons career played out as it did.

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
12/11/1974 Mountain with Jo Jo Gunne - John Jay High School, Fishkill NY. Though I also saw Zeppelin at the Garden, might've been spring '74? not sure.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
Kiss. 12/19/77, Capital Center, Landover Md. AC/DC (with Bon Scott) opened. Found a site with both set lists:

KISS
  1. I Stole Your Love
  2. King of the Night Time World
  3. Ladies Room
  4. Firehouse
  5. Love Gun
  6. Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll
  7. Makin' Love
  8. Christine Sixteen
  9. Shock Me
  10. Guitar Solo
  11. I Want You
  12. Calling Dr. Love
  13. Shout It Out Loud
  14. Bass Solo
  15. God of Thunder
  16. Drum Solo
  17. Rock and Roll All Nite
  18. Detroit Rock City
  19. Beth
  20. Black Diamond

AC/DC
  1. Let There Be Rock
  2. Problem Child
  3. Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be
  4. Whole Lotta Rosie
  5. High Voltage
  6. The Jack
  7. Rocker

DrBGood

Tele-Afflicted
Can't remember, there were just too many, one or two international band a week in the early 70's.

After searching a bit, it could well have been Frank Zappa and the Mothers Of Invention on August 17 1969 at an outside venue in Montreal QC, called Place des Nations.
VM94-TDH69-282-001.jpg

In the following years, I have seen a ton of shows there. For example in the summer 1970, out of 26 shows, I saw the Guess Who, Procol Harum, Chicago and Joe Cocker.
VM94-TDH71-373-0031-600x605.jpg

It went on for almost a decade. Here's the show list for the summer of 1971 at $2 a ticket ! Yes, lots of local talent but inserted in that were Richie Heaven, Mountain, Poco, Black Sabbath, The Byrds, April Wine, ELP, Procol Harum again.
1971_Calendrier_spectacles_fr_VM166-D23555-1-A_LaPresse_2juin71.jpg

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
1976, first show, multiple bands: Frank Marino's Mahogany Rush, Journey, Ted Nugent, & Aerosmith

vgallagher

Tele-Meister
76 or 77 Grateful Dead at Colt Park Hartford Ct. I was 16 or 17, all I remember is some dude opening Heineken bottles with his teeth, someone got hit in the head with a thrown bottle, I saw my first boob and they sounded like crap. Never bought another record. What a day!

VWAmTele

Friend of Leo's
1972 Elton John at the Nassau Coliseum. Also my last concert 2012 - forty years later. Both great concerts.

davo8411

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Aerosmith, Mobile (Alabama) Municipal Auditorium, May of 1978. I was 15 years old. My older brother drove me and a friend to the show, but he abandoned us during the show to party. Lots of marijuana smoke. A guy near us had a gas mask that was converted into a smoking apparatus. We did not partake. I still remember the first three songs: Toys in the Attic, Sweet Emotion, and then Walk This Way, which were the only songs I knew. They played the opening bit of Dream On, but for some reason they went into another song. I couldn’t tell you if it was a good show or not. Our seats seemed so far away And since I had never been to a concert, I didn’t know what to expect. My brother claimed they kinda sucked and they barely played an hour, which I don’t doubt, as this was during the druggie days.

I saw Aerosmith again in 1986 (pretty good) and 2004 (great show).

DrBGood

Tele-Afflicted
Can't remember, there were just too many, one or two international band a week in the early 70's.

After searching a bit, it could well have been Frank Zappa and the Mothers Of Invention on August 17 1969 at an outside venue in Montreal QC, called Place des Nations.
View attachment 941679

In the following years, I have seen a ton of shows there. For example in the summer 1970, out of 26 shows, I saw the Guess Who, Procol Harum, Chicago and Joe Cocker.
View attachment 941680

It went on for almost a decade. Here's the show list for the summer of 1971 at $2 a ticket ! Yes, lots of local talent but inserted in that were Richie Heaven, Mountain, Poco, Black Sabbath, The Byrds, April Wine, ELP, Procol Harum again.
View attachment 941684
Oh yeah, forgot. We did the first part of Mahogany Rush in 1970, does it count as a first concert ?

Lonn

Friend of Leo's
Probably Dottie West at a local fair in about 75. She had on a TON of makeup but I still remember thinking how pretty she was.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Aerosmith, Mobile (Alabama) Municipal Auditorium, May of 1978. I was 15 years old. My older brother drove me and a friend to the show, but he abandoned us during the show to party. Lots of marijuana smoke. A guy near us had a gas mask that was converted into a smoking apparatus. We did not partake. I still remember the first three songs: Toys in the Attic, Sweet Emotion, and then Walk This Way, which were the only songs I knew. They played the opening bit of Dream On, but for some reason they went into another song. I couldn’t tell you if it was a good show or not. Our seats seemed so far away And since I had never been to a concert, I didn’t know what to expect. My brother claimed they kinda sucked and they barely played an hour, which I don’t doubt, as this was during the druggie days.

I saw Aerosmith again in 1986 (pretty good) and 2004 (great show).
Big Perry fan here. 👍

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
I believe 1978 - Lynyrd Skynyrd, J. Geils, and Frampton headlined at JFK Stadium. Excellent show. Interestingly, I am reading Framptons book ‘ Do you feel like I do’. The concert was to be 115000, but his manager Dee Anthony, who had mob ties, printed 25000 counterfeit tickets and pocketed the proceeds. I recommend the book, some interesting insight to the industry back then and to how and why Framptons career played out as it did.
Did J. Geils steal the show? Just a hunch.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
Creedence Clearwater Revival in 1972, I was 16.
John Fogerty, Stu Cook and Doug Clifford ( Tom Fogerty had left the band).
John Fogerty used a Japanese Ibanez ( no label) early 70s lawsuit guitar that sounded as good as any Les Paul. He only used his " Black Beauty" for the encore and it was tuned differently for " Proud Mary".
A great show, we, my brother and mates were in the front row in what was a basketball stadium ( later saw the Eagles there).
Adelaide was a small city then, about 6 miles in radius, now it's 5 times that at least.
Anyway CCR did not disappoint.

Bella

Tele-Meister
I remember friends from school going to that show.
For my first 'big' concert it was pretty incredible both visually and sonically. I have very vivid memories of it still. A bunch of us were dead on our feet in school the next day. I still have the concert shirt I bought that night. Threadbare!