44 Years Ago Today - What Was YOUR FIRST CONCERT ?

japan-amp-guy

TDPRI Member
Jethro Tull, the Passion Play tour 1973. I was 15 years old and it was an incredible show. Saw them several more times in the 70's and it was always an epic show in terms of both musicianship and showmanship.
My best friend and I saw Tull in 1972, during the "Thick as a Brick" tour. His mother drove us to the concert since we were 15 and too young to drive. It was at the Notre Dame University Athletic and Convocation Center (The ACC to locals). Wild Turkey was the opening act. That was Glen Cornick's band (He was the original Tull bass player.) They did "Wind Up" , " My God" and lots of stuff from Benefit and This Was and Stand up. Friggin' amazing show!

mrmtele

TDPRI Member
1973 The Bee Gees at Morehead State University field house. They had a 21 piece orchestra all dressed in Tux and they came in wearing jeans and tee shirts. Awesome concert.

Suca

TDPRI Member
On may 22, 1977 - Genesis in Sao Paulo, Brazil. I was 15 years old and did not know much about the band at that moment. Shortly after I became a huge fan, but interestingly only of the Steve Hackett era - I say interestingly because their last album of that era was pecisely the album of that tour (Wind "& Wuthering).

ftbtx

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
My first concert was when I was in 5th grade, I saw Huey Lewis and the News on the Sports tour at the Orange County Fairgrounds (NY).
The Neville Brothers opened up.

Seegz

TDPRI Member
44 years ago today, in 1976, I attended my first 'rock' concert; I was 15 years old, young, dumb, and full of intoxicants :oops:

Rainbow was the headlining band, touring in support of their 'Rising' album, which featured Ronnie James Dio on vocals, Cozy Powell on drums, and of course Ritchie Blackmore on guitar. It was one of the best shows I have ever witnessed & I have seen some doozies. Thanks to Ritchies influence I ended up playing Strats exclusively for 20 years. :D Hard to believe it has been 44 years since that magical show. It was a great show to see to get 'broken in' to the live rock scene.
http://www.dio.net/pictures_tickets/19760730_ad.jpg
Less than two weeks later on August 10, 1976, I saw my second concert @ the same venue, KISS playing on their 'Destroyer' Tour. Being 15 years old in the 1970s was the BOMB !!!!!!!!

So, what was your first 'concert' ???????
In 1977 I saw George Clinton with Parliament, Funkadelic, Parlet and The Brides of Funkenstein at The Hammersmith Odeon in London.
I was 18 and also “young, dumb and full of intoxicants!”
The gig was certainly memorable both musically and visually. The PFunk were at the top of their game back then and were playing beats, bass lines and hooks that went on to influence and shape successive genres for the next 40 years.

japan-amp-guy

TDPRI Member
1974 or '75, so I was 14 or 15. Main Point coffeehouse, Byrn Mawr, PA, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen. I was heavily into the "Lost in the Ozone" LP at the time. Small place, great show.

View attachment 747145
I had the pleasure of doing sound for Bill Kirchen several times when he would come to play at the Ark in Ann Arbor where I was a volunteer sound tech(He was born and raised there, and that's where the band began,) He is arguably one of the best guitar players around. No pedals, no effects, just tone for miles and he can play any style. Plus, he is a truly humble, lovely guy. Can't say enough nice things about him. Also did sound for one of the Commander Cody reunion shows at the Ark. They were all great. Andy Stein, Bruce Barlow. The only person missing was Bobby Black, who had died by then. Shame.

Darrylc534

TDPRI Member
I’m totally a product of my state...:(

my first big gig was KISS in ‘78.

my loser then bro-in-law took me and my brother.

I was already a music snob and laughed thru the whole thing.

They loved it.

my son’s first gig 13 yrs ago when he was five yrs old was infinitely cooler :

Bob Dylan , Jimmie Vaughan , and Junior Brown at a minor league ballpark on a beautiful summer evening. He doesn’t remember it - but I do.
My son's first show was "The Smashing Pumpkins" in Chicago. Now that I built him an opp amp version of the Big Muff he plays a bunch of their songs. He was about 15 at the time. He will soon turn 39. I wonder what his son's first concert will be. Music transcends generations.

Big Lug

Tele-Holic
Vancouver, BC, Pacific Coliseum, March 21, 1970... and introduced for the first time to “wacky tobaccy.”

upload_2020-8-4_7-5-51.jpeg

Guitardvark

Tele-Afflicted
how about a 1st loudest concert :).. we had a place here called texas opry house. had to get in early to get a good seat up front. that night the whole 3 front rows were empty and we felt we had the best luck. the drummer bass player and keyboard guys come out start to stuff things in there ears. ear plugs. oh boy maybe front row isnt looking so good afterall.. out comes this skinny ghost looking guy named johnny winter and puts his ear plugs in, holy crap we in trouble and that was the last thing i recall as my mind was numb from the sheer volume being pushed into my chest into eventual submission of the front row seat. now dats when ya make the move is after a few shots tequila n your ears are ringing already.. concert etiquette learned rule 101 let the test dummies always have the front row . takes years to learn that.

JJLC

Tele-Holic
I’m 55 and my first concert was The Pat travers band “Crash and burn” tour 1980 with Def Leppard as the opener! I have seen many shows over the last forty years but that one sticks out because I was fifteen and playing in a band. Great memory Pat travers and his co guitarist Pat Thrall are both incredible!

I saw PTB a couple times, both times with Pat Thrall on guitar.
Pat Thrall live with PTB was incredible, to say the least!!

EPIC thread folks; thanks for sharing those live music memories & keep 'em coming :cool:

Southboundsuarez

TDPRI Member
1977 or 78ish?
Greatful Dead at Red Rocks....
My brother and I were on a weekend outing with my parents and we decided to take a picnic just outside of Morrison. There was alot of traffic that day and I remember several packs of Harley's roaring down the canyon. Somehow we ended up hiking and were next to Bandamere Speedway. My brother and I wanted to go climb some rocks and see what was going on across the way down below the next ridge. I was maybe 14 yrs old and my brother was 10. We ended up meeting up with a group of hippies. They were plotting a way to sneak into the concert.y little brother was a babe magnet and this chick was all cutesy cute awww puppy over him .... That got us in with her little group. Next thing I know we are smoking pot including my lil brother and hiking across the valley. We ended up near a side service road and a team of Jefferson County mounted Sheriff and park rangers all of sudden had ambushed the group, splitting us all apart. My brother and I hid in a culvert next to the road and waited it out. Right as we finally came out of hiding and started walking down the road a limo drives past us and we saw Phil Lesh and others rolling past. We walked all the way up the road and hung outside the service entrance for about 45 minutes before a security guard had asked us what we were doing. We sakd we waitng on our parents and he assumed that they were vendors and let inside the venue where we wondered around until the music started playing. We didnt have anywhere outside the ampitheatre to see the band from,,,, so we climbed around the outer perimeter and up onto the rocks, which was somewhat perilous. When we got to the top we were reunited with somenof our hippie friends including Sunshine the hippy chick! We watched the whole concert. Our parents were besides themselves. They had waited nearly six hours by the dtiveway to the service entrance for us to come out! They were so relieved we were ok that we didnt get into much trouble other than a lecture of how rude I was and also the 3rd degree why our eyes were so red!!!!--

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
A little story please:

I live in NoVa, near Washington DC, and when I was a 13 year old kid in say 1973 or so, I went to a free event at the DC Mall- the huge grounds/park between the Lincoln Memorial and the U.S. Capitol-
it may have been an Anti- Viet Nam War concert/speeches, not sure...I can't remember if I was with my dad, or buddies.

Bottom line, I was there because both Little Feat and The James Gang were supposed to play! ( I think I got that from the radio, or newspaper AD)

I knew nothing about these 2 groups other than I heard they were supposed to be really good. And I loved music, but not playing, yet.

I was there all day, there were bands playing. I have NO idea if I heard these bands, just assume, yes?