432Hz

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by december, Oct 17, 2021.

Do you, or have you ever, tuned to A=432Hz?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. No

72 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. december

december TDPRI Member

I'm curious if there's anyone else that tunes to reference A=432Hz?
    I'm simply trying to connect with others that use or are interested in 432Hz tuning. I'm not trying to convert anyone, I'm not saying it's better, it's simply something I resonate with, and if you resonate with this, I would like to hear from you.
    If you're not interested in this, or just have a condescending remark, please kindly pass by and let this thread be a safe space for people interested in 432Hz to connect.
    I recently learned how to tune my VST synths to 432Hz so I can now record songs in that tuning. My bass & guitar are now tuned in 432Hz and for synths I have to tune each oscillator down in each new instance, but it's not a big deal.
    Here's my first song that was fully recorded in 432Hz:
    New music by DECEMBER!
    EmpathEyes
    The Eyes of the Empath are Heart-wired. A gaze which never blinks, We feel your Soul in Eternity.

DECEMBERmusic.org
    MUSIC with INTENT for a PURPOSEFUL UNIVERSE

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    P-Nutz, Nahtabot and Cyberi4n like this.
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

For a brief period of time, I used to put some super-light strings on my Strat and tuned it to Open A.

Sounded great; however, it took away quite a few songs that worked better in Open G, so I went back up to a heavier gauge and tuned down to Open G.

Still sounds great, and a lot more flexibility.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

From samples I've heard online, comparing the same songs with both tunings, I prefer the punchier sound of 440

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    middy and Greggorios like this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Not on purpose but I’m sure it’s happened.

Dan R, AAT65, Fretting out and 6 others like this.
  5. december

december TDPRI Member

It doesn't work if you just tune an already recorded song down to 432Hz. (Well, it "works", it changes the overall tuning, but it can't magically give the song any of the benefits of 432Hz.)
    If the song was recorded in 440Hz tuning then that's where it's gonna sound good, especially if there's guitar in it. The harmonics involved are interacting at the frequency they were originally played at, so tuning a recorded song from 440 to 432 isn't going to sound better.
    And if you're going to record a song at 432Hz, it definitely takes some adjustments to things to make it work, like string gauge, for one.
    I play in drop-D (DADG), tuned to A=432Hz. I have to use heavier strings for this.
    I have a 30.3" scale Gretsch Electromatic bass with DR Hi Beams 45 65 85, and a Stringjoy 110 for the low D. It sounds great!
    My guitar, Epi LP Muse, 24.75" scale, has (DADGBE):
    54 42 30 22w 15 11
    It sounds great, too. The wound G string is so much better than a plain. It's perfectly intonated and doesn't have that nasty ringing overtone that plains do.
    These string gauges have enough tension at 432Hz tuning, and for the drop-D.
    I agree, some people have taken this too far by retuning already recorded songs down to 432. There is really no point to this, and it will stretch it out just enough that the first thing you will notice is it will start losing punch, especially if there's guitar or bass in it. The transients, like drums, will suffer significantly as well.

6. december

december TDPRI Member

For anyone who's unfamiliar with this, or why some people prefer 432Hz:

https://attunedvibrations.com/432hz/

What is 432 Hz tuning?
    A=432 Hz, known as Verdi’s ‘A’ is an alternative tuning that is mathematically consistent with the universe. Music based on 432Hz transmits beneficial healing energy, because it is a pure tone of math fundamental to nature.
    The universal music of sacred geometry
    According to Brian T. Collins, a musician and researcher, the standard pitch (A=440 Hz) does not harmonize on any level that corresponds to cosmic movement, rhythm, or natural vibration. The greatest musicians, such as Mozart and Verdi, based their music on the natural vibration of A=432. It’s true that it is only 8 vibrations per second different from the standard tuning, but this small difference seems to be remarkable to our human consciousness.
    There’s a growing musical and metaphysical movement for recovering optimal integrity in the music industry and spirituality through the 432Hz tuning. In April 2008 Dutch journalist Richard Huisken founded the ‘back to 432 Hz’ committee, claiming that this original tuning was used in ancient cultures and is found on antique instruments like the Stradivarius violin.

Greggorios and 985plowboy like this.
  7. december

december TDPRI Member

I know a lot of people don't feel 432Hz makes any difference, and that's fine. But please don't turn this thread into an argument as to whether or not one tuning is "better" than another, or why you think 432Hz is just complete nonsense.
    If you have no interest in 432Hz and don't resonate with it, then please pass over this thread. I would like for it to be something for people that do use or are interested in 432Hz, to connect and talk about it.

Thank you!

dlew919 likes this.
  8. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Afflicted

One time, I think in 2016, my two brothers and I played a gig at A426. The brother who insisted on this tuning recognized that we were three old baritones who could sing the higher notes more easily at that setting.

But this brother, at the time, also subscribed to a conspiracy theory about A440, linking it to Hitler, among others. I think he later changed his mind about this before his death in 2019.

But I read somewhere that another proponent of A440 was J.C. Deagan, who manufactured and sold mallet percussion instruments. You can't tune glockenspiels, marimbas, and xylophones. It might be that at A440, Deagan was able to manufacture his instruments with less material and save on manufacturing costs. And you have to tune to your mallet percussion.

Meanwhile, my Gretsch didn't like A426. I had put 9's on it. Do not put 9s on a Gretsch and tune down to A426.

DougM likes this.
  9. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Not since I had gut strings on my violin.

10. 985plowboy

985plowboy Poster Extraordinaire

I think the concept is interesting.
    Brought it up to the band.
    They are game to try but we haven’t done it yet.

Nahtabot, Maguchi and december like this.
  11. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Nope, changing pitch impedes with my scholarly research on sasquatch.

12. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Before I had my first tuning fork, I'm sure I did .... often ... any many pitches inbetween.

13. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I'm sure my guitar has gone flat before so probably but not intentionally but I don't believe in witchcraft. 432 is just the number of up and downs in a second but what even is a second other than a human construct?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I learned before quartz tuners were invented and if anything I tuned to A 450 or even 460hz with a .013 set.

over the decades when out of tune for some reason I’m always sharp rather than flat

so no, I haven’t chosen A432

DougM likes this.
  15. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

upload_2021-10-17_19-41-23.gif

LutherBurger likes this.
  16. drf64

drf64 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Easy there, Caligula.

Fretting out and That Cal Webway like this.
  17. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Oh boy! Here we go again with the metaphysical mumbo-jumbo, and how if we tune to 432 instead of 440 the stars will align, our teeth wil get straighter, and our ailments will all be cured! It's too bad no one can bottle it and sell it as a magic elixir for big bucks!

18. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

I have tried 432 for several days I just didnt like the tone.

black_doug likes this.
  19. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

I tune to 431

20. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

No, 440 has been my standard since day 1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.