42 & 43 gauge wire in a Tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by AJBaker, Dec 24, 2013.

1. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

A traditional Tele uses both, with 42 gauge on the bridge and thinner 43 on the neck. But some prefer broadcaster style bridge pickups with 43 gauge wire, and some like strat style neck pickups with 42 gauge wire.
    You can have:

1) traditional (43 neck, 42 bridge)
    2) both with 43 (broadcaster)
    3) 42 neck and 43 bridge (baja telecaster)
    4) both 42

Of the 4 possible combinations, which do you prefer, and why?

2. fakeplastic

fakeplastic Tele-Meister

I've never really understood the tonal differences between 42 and 43. I'm aware that 43 is a smaller diameter therefore it allows for more turns around the bobbin, but why someone would pick one over the other is still a mystery to me.

3. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

What does the Rob say? (Rob D., Cavalier Lion master pickup winder):

"for me, there's just some more "girth" and "fatness" and "sweetness" in a tele/esquire pup that uses 42awg instead of 43awg coil wire."

4. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Tele-Holic

2 tele bridge pickups with the same dimensions same number of turns & winding pattern recommended tension & only wire size being the difference 43 gauge will have more midrange ,Less bass & overdriven will break up a little easier/quicker than 42 gauge wire .

5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Ill be watching this thread a lot as winding my pups is the next phase in my builds. On an off topic note, AJ Baker, are you in Bern Switzerland? I recognize that mtn in your avatar.

6. D.Allen

D.Allen Tele-Holic Vendor Member

If everything is the same except the wire size the 43 will have lower output, inductance, capacitance and resistance all lower if number of turns are the same between the two bridges. Now if you wind them to approximately the same output (not resistance) then you will hear the tonal differences.

7. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Resistance goes up with the same length as wire gets smalller in diameter. In a well-wound coil, so does density, which increases voltage output. If you get shorts because you can't deal with finer wire, however, output can be destroyed.

8. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

That mountain is the Matterhorn, and I grew up in front of it in the town of Zermatt. My avatar is a picture from a gig up in the mountains. These days I'm usually in the Rhone valley near lake Geneva though.

9. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Looking at Rob's page, it's really helpful that he lists turn count and dcr.
    Looks like the Nashville lion (8k) and the Nocaster lion (10k) have about the same turn count, just different wire gauge. Has anyone tried both? I'd love to.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.