40 Years from THE Catch

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter

40 years ago, Joe Montana brought the niners from obscurity to greatness, crushing the always dreaded and hated Dallas Cowboys. This one play began the decay of the Cowboys who took years to recover after this game.

Sunday, the niners play the cowboys after coming back against the favored Rams... heading into the playoffs... we shall see what sunday brings!

VWAmTele

Friend of Leo's
Looking forward to the game. Like "The Catch" game, it'll be close...

as5431

Tele-Meister
Videos don’t showup on your post but am quite familiar with them. NFL ruled back then.

slauson slim

Poster Extraordinaire
I was in The City that day watching the game with friends. When Dwight Clark caught the pass there was cheering and yelling coming from the houses and buildings in the neighborhood. When the game ended people came out for a spontaneous and joyful street party.

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Here in New England, this is "The Catch"

images.jpeg

28-3!

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Will be another 10 before the Falcons are that good again. Maybe by then TB will be retired or at least the refs will allow us to hit him. Still stings.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted

40 years ago, Joe Montana brought the niners from obscurity to greatness, crushing the always dreaded and hated Dallas Cowboys. This one play began the decay of the Cowboys who took years to recover after this game.

Sunday, the niners play the cowboys after coming back against the favored Rams... heading into the playoffs... we shall see what sunday brings!

I saw that game. My Dad was there (damn it!). I miss those years. We were so spoiled.

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's

The Catch gets all the glory, but the drive leading up to it that should as well. About 20 years ago, ESPN or NFL Films cut together a montage of the entire game with a combination of network video, NFL Films, err, film (and a few reaction shots sneaked in from other games). That drive, in which Bill Walsh called plays -- running when his team should have passed, and vice-versa -- completely befuddled Landry's vaunted Flex Defense.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I remember that game and where I was and how absolutely wild we all were when we realized our team was going to win. When I think about it today, I still smile. I laughed the time that I heard Montana jokingly say, 'hey, maybe it should have been called 'the throw'.

Similar to the years suffering with the Giants and Warriors not doing as well as we hoped, when the niners won, we knew it was possible. What came later, and then when the Giants turned the corner in 2010 and the Warriors a few years later, it has been a great run. How fun it may be if the niners can win at least one more.

For most long time niner fans, the Cowboys are the rival. The Rams used to be, but with their vagabond ways, that kind of fell off and while the Seahawks have dominated us in recent years, they've fallen on hard times... plus, as long as Pete is there, he is a bay area kid. Same with guys like Brady and Rodgers, they are all Norcal kids, hard to dislike them.

But the cowboys... if the niners can get a win in Jerrah's house... that would be fun.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
They did a thing on it on KNBR again recently. I remember watching that game with my old man (in suburban Dallas) and being a little disappointed, but my old man always put way more priority on great players than "his" team, and he loved Montana/Clark from then on, just as much as he did other guys who murdered the Cowboys (John Riggins, no end of Steelers).