4 x 12 magic

Mowgli

Tele-Meister
I loaded an old Music Man 4x12 cab with four vintage - late 50s/early 60s - organ pull Jensens for a specific reason. An old data sheet, IIRC, mentioned that they were 18 or 20 watt speakers; given their age I decided to play it safely and treat them as 15 watt max. speakers. So 4 x 15 watts = 60 watt max. That's plenty loud.

And it sounds GREAT with every amp I've played through it (BF Bandmaster, Vibrolux, SFPR, Rivera-era Fenders, Music Man, Vintage Ampegs, Peavey's, Yamaha).

The biggest surprise wasn't how great and "classic" they sounded with the BF Fenders (they certainly do). But I was blown away at great they sounded with the early Music Man amps. By tweaking the deep and bright switches along with the EQ settings, the variety of clean sounds was very impressive; from incredibly warm and even sounding clean jazz tones to surprisingly close Fender BF clean tones but with more overhead (I use an external digital reverb that sounds better than MM reverb, IMO). It makes me wonder how much the classic blackface sound is partially due to the speakers!

When I play these speakers in a 1 x 12 open back cab I can't achieve the same incredible results. So I can understand why Pat Martino used a 4 x 12 cabinet. There's a fuller and warmer sound that is undeniable, IMO. Through a mic, all bets are off.

The Ballzz

Friend of Leo's
I have a '72 1960B with 25watt/75hz greenback (identical to the Pre-Rolas but the first year with new stickers/labels) and I'll never let it go! I've played through it regularly since 1974 and it has become my "litmus test" for all amps. I rarely take it to gigs anymore, due to the inevitable eye rolls and sarcastic volume comments by bar owners and/or bartenders!

IMG_2070.jpg

It looked almost brand new when I got it!

Just Speakerin'
Gene

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Back in the 90s one of my music buddies had a early 70s Hiwatt 4 x 12, and it looked like it might have gone on the same ride as @The Ballzz ’s Marshall, above. It had Fane speakers in it and it made my buddy’s 50-watt JCM800 and Legend Rock-n-Roll 50 heads sound like total badass doom. It had a lot of wham, and a lot of teeth.

That guy bought a new Fender Blues Deluxe in 1994-5, and one day we pulled out its stock Fender 12 and put one of the Fanes in it and let it rip. Wow! It sounded really good!

But then we put the Fane back in the 4 x 12 and used the Blues Deluxe to drive the Hiwatt 4 x 12, and that sounded at least four times gooder.

doghouseman

Tele-Holic
I am on the fence about keeping mine. Do you know which JBL you have in yours? Thanks.

Hey Man... havent forgotten your question. Still checking.

My buddy put the JBLs in.

I actually took the two Celestions out and made them into two 1X12 cabs and then gave the 4X12 to my buddy. After he put the JBLs in, I got it back from him. If I can ever get him to answer my texts I will have an answer for you.

doghouseman

Tele-Holic
I have a '72 1960B with 25watt/75hz greenback (identical to the Pre-Rolas but the first year with new stickers/labels) and I'll never let it go! I've played through it regularly since 1974 and it has become my "litmus test" for all amps. I rarely take it to gigs anymore, due to the inevitable eye rolls and sarcastic volume comments by bar owners and/or bartenders!

View attachment 922277

Just Speakerin'
Gene

Are those built-in speaker stands??

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Hey Man... havent forgotten your question. Still checking.

My buddy put the JBLs in.

I actually took the two Celestions out and made them into two 1X12 cabs and then gave the 4X12 to my buddy. After he put the JBLs in, I got it back from him. If I can ever get him to answer my texts I will have an answer for you.

That's cool. Certainly no hurry as it is a project low on the list. I have decided to keep it, though, after reading these posts...so timely;).

The Ballzz

Friend of Leo's
Are those built-in speaker stands??

If you're speaking of the black things near the top, they are mic clips on short goosenecks. At the time of that pic, I was doing a wet/dry rig with a 5 watt amp as the dry. One "dry" amp drove the left pair of speakers and the other "wet only" amp drove the right speakers. By bringing my own pair of SM57 mics and an XLR Y-cable, sound guys never argued about giving me two mics into one channel and I always achieved my chosen effects balance! It was a fantastic sounding rig, just "Too much monkey business fior me to be involved in!"
Just Sayin'
Gene

doghouseman

Tele-Holic
I am on the fence about keeping mine. Do you know which JBL you have in yours? Thanks.

OK, talked with my buddy. He said they were Eminence speakers from the 70 from an Acoustic 4X12 cab. Sorry, I thought they were JBL speakers. Either way, they sound fantastic.

So, these speakers are from the 80s and 70s and I am guessing they have been used a lot. I am starting to appreciate vintage speakers a little more. I always thought they might be a liability, but I guess not.

Last edited:

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
OK, talked with my buddy. He said they were Eminence speakers from the 70 from an Acoustic 4X12 cab. Sorry, I thought they were JBL speakers. Either way, they sound fantastic.

So, these speakers are from the 80s and 70s and I am guessing they have been used a lot. I am starting to appreciate vintage speakers a little more. I always thought they might be a liability, but I guess not.

LOL...maybe I should rob the Celestion Seventy 80s from the two combos I have (so equipped)...just to see? :lol::lol: Thanks...I'll keep my eye out for a couple of well broken in speakers!

doghouseman

Tele-Holic
All of this has made me appreciate vintage speakers even more. The speakers
LOL...maybe I should rob the Celestion Seventy 80s from the two combos I have (so equipped)...just to see? :lol::lol: Thanks...I'll keep my eye out for a couple of well broken in speakers!

s-l640.jpg

I am guessing these are the speakers. From a Fender Acoustic amp?? These are pretty distinctive because they have that huge silver cone. Interesting. I am guessing these are optimized for a clean sound. That is exactly what I was getting from my rig.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's

View attachment 922277

Just Speakerin'
Gene

Your 1960B would be visually the perfect companion to my 1960A, although mine looked like that when I got it :)

The last time I saw mine was about 40 years ago, so it's probably long since disintegrated...

The Ballzz

Friend of Leo's

You can try 'em if ya like, but for my tastes those Seventy 80s are really horrid sounding bastages! :eek: Of course I'm spoiled by well worn Pre & Early Rola greenbacks. Besides what is in my cab above, I have three Pre-Rolas from 1970 and another similarly dated basket and frame that has been infected with a Waldom re-cone. It needs a trip to Jim at Scumback Speakers! They were all going to go back into the 1970 cab below, after refurbishing it, but I'll never get around to "THAT" re-furb, so I'm gonna sell the cab empty, as is with it's metal handles and top cups. The Pre-Rola greenbacks will continue their happy lives in a few of my favorite low watt combos!
Lovin' Them Greenbacks,
Gene

IMG_1949 copy.jpg

Si G X

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah I miss mine, I've not owned a 4x12 for about 15 years now.

If I won the lottery I'd buy/build a rehearsal space and put 8 of them in it.... 4 each for me and my mate. :D

BobbyZ

Doctor of Teleocity
This reminds me. Need to put an ohms meter on the Hiwatt cab from 1974. Been using it very very infrequently the last 20 years with a couple of Marshalls set at 16 ohms. A couple years back I remembered rewiring to 4ohms for a Twin Reverb in the 90s. Can't remember if I ever rewired it back to 16.
Been meaning to do that a few years now. . . .

Yeah it's got Fanes.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Oops, I see a Bassman speaker thread that makes more sense for my post. Mind you, thinking of the Bassman cabinet. I wonder if three 12"s will fit?

Last edited: