4 way wiring help

SimonMariner

NEW MEMBER!
Hi there - I'm also about to attempt a four-way switch install (my first mod so a bit of a newbie).

Thanks for the really good thread.

Newbie question: I've got a few questions regarding upgrading pots and capacitors. What's good etiquette, post questions and pictures here, or start a new thread?

:oops:

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Hi there - I'm also about to attempt a four-way switch install (my first mod so a bit of a newbie).

Thanks for the really good thread.

Newbie question: I've got a few questions regarding upgrading pots and capacitors. What's good etiquette, post questions and pictures here, or start a new thread?

:oops:

Either! If you just have a quick question drop it here, but you can definitely start a new thread and post pictures and progress. I'd probably do that.

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
Looks like we're all doing 4 ways. Nice. I did mine around 7 hours ago. Got done and had no sound at all. I forgot to solder the output jack hot wire to the switch! Lol

I'll try to help if I can. I used a different diagram, though, since I separated the ground wire on the bridge instead of the neck. So I doubt I can tell anyone anything that hasn't been said already anyway.

alexwilds

Tele-Meister
I found that the 'big' 5-way switch, which has many more options, is much easier to wire. It only costs slightly more, and is well worth it. I add, my tele has three pickups (two neck pickups) and is wired more like a strat (bridge, bridge/middle, bridge/neck, neck/middle, neck). Works great.

76standard

Tele-Meister
Hi, I’m Dave from the UK.

I am currently building my first partscaster and have a query that I was hoping someone may be able to assist with in the wiring a 4 way switch. I decided to opt for a 4 way switch to go with some twisted tele pickups. I am following the diagrams for the alternative switch design from Six String Supplies. I seem to be getting the neckmoickup up and running for position 1, and position 3 seems to switch in the neck pickup, but nothing from the bridge pickup, but does seem to create a lot of him/buzz. I’ve tried to follow back the wires and check them but can’t see any issues and I’m now getting a bit stumped with what to try next.

Any ideas 💡?

Thanks

Dave

View attachment 1021461 View attachment 1021462 View attachment 1021463
The image of the wiring looks wrong. Hear me out and look at the attached image I'm posting with my response. I superimposed the Six String wiring diagram next to your actual wiring for reference. Some of the connections are a bit hard to see, so if you got the switch wiring right, sorry if I couldn't make it out from the photo you supplied. Thanks for doing that.

On my attached image, I labeled both sides of the switch with red or yellow numbers, 1-5. The blue lines indicate where I think you will need to make some revisions to your wiring if my evaluation of your current wiring is correct. Consider the following...

First item to check: You should have a jumper wire connecting Yellow connection 5 to Red connection 4. This is a blue line on my attached image. That does not seem to be the case. Did you put this jumper wire from the Yellow 4 connection to the Red 3 connection?

Second item to check: Look at the blue lines in the image I provided for Red connections 2 and 3, where 3 connects to the back of the volume pot. I cannot tell if this is how you wired that side of the switch.

Ultimately, you will get all sorts of help on this forum. People are knowledgeable and will provide you with the help you need. Hang in there. I have Seymour Duncan's wiring on my Tele for the 4-way switch and love it. All the best.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 3