4 way tele with tapped quarter pounder and no extra switches

SoundMineFX

TDPRI Member
Hiya, y'all! Longtime lurker, first time poster here.

I recently bought my dad's old E-series Squier tele back off my friend and have been doing a few minor mods to it in order to make it my main guitar in one of my bands. (Pops passed away a few years back, and I think playing this guitar out is a pretty great way of remembering him and the love of guitars he passed onto me).

Anyhow, I recently installed a 4 way switch and LOVED the series tone, but found the bridge pickup to be a little bright/weak for my tastes when selected alone. In order to remedy this, I picked up a Seymore Duncan Quarter Pound pickup (tapped). The full output (white wire) reads 17K ohms, while the tapped output (red) reads 9k ohms. I'd like to implement the following switching configuration without adding an extra switch or push/pull knob. Is it possible and, if so, can someone do me a solid by sending a schematic my way? What I'm after is this:

1. Neck Position
2. Neck + Bridge (tapped) in Series
3. Neck + Bridge (tapped) in Parallel
4. Bridge (full output)

I currently have the switch wired in this order, without the tap options. I find I like it a lot more than other configurations that put the series tone in position 1 (switch tilted towards the neck).

Anyhow, I did my best to search through old posts, and while I'm sure I'm not the first to desire this configuration, I was unable to find a wiring example. I graciously appreciate any help.

jonrpick

Friend of Leo's
Replying as a place-holder... (It's 4am and I woke up unexpectedly. I don't have all my wits yet.)

I'm doing something with a 4-way Oak Grigsby too... Different application (Strat) but I do know that the options I considered made me wish there was a 4-pole 4-way switch.

When I have a bit more sense I'll reply again and see if what you're wanting to do is possible with that switch.

SoundMineFX

TDPRI Member
When I have a bit more sense I'll reply again and see if what you're wanting to do is possible with that switch.

Can't thank you enough. Get some rest, though! If I end up being forced to go with a super switch, I think I'll want it configured:

1. Neck
2. Neck + Bridge (tapped) series
3. Neck + Bridge (tapped) parallel
4. Bridge (tapped)
5. Bridge (full output)

Again, thanks for all the help, y'all. Don't lose any sleep!

Teleterr

Friend of Leo's
Yes! ... Hard wire the neck + to + on the V+T. Hard wire the bridge G to G. One 0 is + ; the other 0 is the neck negative. Your using nonstandard numbering (1 is usually B, N makes more sense to a lot of folks, me as well.)

0s are Neck - lead, + on the pots

1) Bridge ... 1/4 lb full + to position 1 of the ( + 0 )

2) Neck ll Tap ... G to position 2 of the ( Neck - lead 0) , ...Tap to position 2 of the (+ 0 )

3) Neck + Tap ... Tap to position 3 of of the ( Neck - 0 )

4) Neck ... G to Position 4 of (Neck - 0 )

Now whether the N + hard wired will hum ... I ve done it w other p-ups and everything was cool , but it might.

Last edited:

Teleterr

Friend of Leo's
Ooops I reviewed before I posted, but missed a thing or 2 that was confusing , the above is good.

SoundMineFX

TDPRI Member
0s are Neck - lead, + on the pots

1) Bridge ... 1/4 lb full + to position 1 of the ( + 0 )

2) Neck ll Tap ... G to position 2 of the ( Neck - lead 0) , ...Tap to position 2 of the (+ 0 )

3) Neck + Tap ... Tap to position 3 of of the ( Neck - 0 )

4) Neck ... G to Position 4 of (Neck - 0 )

Now whether the N + hard wired will hum ... I ve done it w other p-ups and everything was cool , but it might.

Thanks, Teleterr. I'm still a little new to the nomenclature, as you can likely tell. In fact, I'm not exactly sure how to translate what you said into a working diagram, since I'm not sure what pole these are getting wired to. I hope it's not too much to ask, but maybe you could offer me a back of the napkin drawing?

Also, I'm confused, why might this setup hum on the neck-only position? I mean, I know the pickup is single coil, but it's not like it'll be left with a floating ground, correct?

Teleterr

Friend of Leo's
The neck is always hard wired to hot. I haven t had problems w this, but it could produce hum.

The 0s are the commons that the switch connects the tabs corresponding to each position to.

I m busy today and tommorrow, so drawing, photoing then uploading is a little time consuming. Maybe someone w a drawing program can help. I haven't found one for Android yet.

SoundMineFX

TDPRI Member
I m busy today and tommorrow, so drawing, photoing then uploading is a little time consuming. Maybe someone w a drawing program can help.

No problem, man! Here's how I've interpreted your description. Ignore the colors, they're just there to make the wires easier to differentiate/see. Does this smell right to y'all?
4-way auto tap.jpg

SoundMineFX

TDPRI Member
So, I've wired it up according to the diagram above, but am getting bridge pickup on ALL switch positions, with the full output when I select the bridge position.

Could it be that I have the black and white wires on the quarter pounder swapped, per how it is with some duncans? Otherwise, I think I'm gonna have to go the super switch route. Maybe someone can help me get this diagrammed out? I see a couple of schematics that look like what I've got above, but they're for coil split, not tap.

Per the correct numbering convention:

1. Bridge (full output)
2. Bridge (tapped)
3. Neck // Bridge (tapped) in parallel
4. Neck + Bridge (tapped) in series
5. Neck

Teleterr

Friend of Leo's
Sorry for the confusion. Where most of us would call the N position 1 Fender says its 5. On the 4 way the 0s are on opposite ends. I have pretty good spatial sense, but not having the 0s together messes me up. Having the user rotate his view 180* to solder the top and then the bottom is just plain bad design.