4 way Tele switch with 10% bass cut

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by JimInMO, Jul 27, 2021.

1. JimInMO

JimInMO Tele-Meister

I have a Tele with the Bill Lawrence Strat 5 way switch wiring that gives a 10% bass cut on the neck pickup. Really like that for rhythm. Don’t care so much for the switch layout and the out of phase position is just in the way. Trying to modify the Seymour Duncan diagram so position 4 routs the neck pickup through a .01uf cap instead of the serial neck + bridge. Just when I think I have it brain fog sets in. Help!
    64258CFB-B661-4C58-83AF-B296C8B967F3.jpeg

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I think there's no way to do it without avoiding the bass cut on other switch settings. The 4-way is a two pole switch.

A Superswitch will allow this because it has more poles; that offers greater versatility.

3. JimInMO

JimInMO Tele-Meister

You may be right. Every time I think I have it re-thinking brings me to that conclusion. Would rather use a mini toggle than a super switch I think. Mostly because I have a couple on hand.

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Install a mini DPDT toggle switch and send the neck hot to to it. Position 1 on the switch sends the full signal to the 4-way. Position 2 sends the signal through a mid-cut to the switch.

I say "mid-cut" because most all passive bass cuts are actually a mid cut, including Reverend's. Look up the Torres Mid Cut mod that uses a small inductor; you can install a tiny PC pot and set it to the curve you prefer when you flip the switch to position 2.

JimInMO likes this.
  5. JimInMO

JimInMO Tele-Meister

6. JimInMO

JimInMO Tele-Meister

Interesting! Bill called it a 10% bass cut. Maybe a more accurate term would be a mud cut. I don’t consider any of my Tele neck pickups muddy but the cut sits in with my band’s jam sessions really nice. Usually have a couple of acoustics hammering cowboy chords and that will lift me up out of it.

7. timbgtr

timbgtr Tele-Meister

+1 on this. I got a control plate with one of these switches from 920D, mostly to see if the half out of phase thing works. Well, only kinda; a better amp (Quilter Aviator Cub) helped. But the other 10% bass cut, mud cut (good phrase) or whatever, is an unexpected bonus; I use it all the time. It’s better for jazz then the neck PU straight up. (My neck PU is a GFS Fatbody, so YMMV.)

JimInMO likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.