4 way switching quickie test

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Webfoot, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

I just want to remove the control panel, unsolder one or two wires and use a jumper to test out the '4th' position switching option to see if I like it.

American pro telecaster.

Looking to see if I can get a fatter sound for soloing... not just something weird and different.

Is it easy to do?

2. seekir

seekir Tele-Holic

As I recall, you have to disconnect the ground from the metal neck pickup cover on a standard tele to install the 4-way, and ground the metal cover with a new wire. This may complicate the idea of a temporary test re-wire, I'm not sure. To me the series combo position the mod adds isn't dramatically different from the standard parallel middle position. It is a bit different to my ear, and louder. The switch isn't very expensive, and your idea would require you to take the guard off anyway, why not just do it? tele_4way.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Webfoot likes this.
  3. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

It is not difficult but it does involve clipping the jumper that connects the pick up cover to the ground so... it may not be all that easy to 'un-do' with the same neck pick up. The good news is that the 4th position is a very useful option (kind of like having a humbucker available). Here's a link explaining what is involved: https://www.fralinpickups.com/2017/03/14/4-wire-switching-tele/

BorderRadio and Webfoot like this.
  4. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

And here’s a great video that gives the process to switch positions 3 & 4 in the wiring diagram above so the neck is in position 4. I just did this to one of my teles with a stacked bridge pup. It’s nice to have 4 options especially with 1 the bridge and 4 the neck (#2 parallel, #3 series).

eallen, Webfoot and Tezuka27 like this.
  5. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

For the record, I LOVE the sound of the fourth position.

jb

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I really like the 4-way switch. So much I converted this Esquired H into 4-way. The pattern I chose was neck/parallel/bridge/series to the back. If you want to duplicate that (normal is series/neck/parallel/bridge) then swap the neck for bridge wires on the 4-way diagram and then rotate the switch 180 degrees to the diagram. I of course rotated the switch again to put it at the reverse control plate arrangement. Around and around went that switch!

IMG_20180629_083330.jpg

7. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

Thanks for the great answers. I wonder if any guys like Scotty Anderson or Josh Smith do this. I do a lot of soloing and would like to 'unthin' the bridge pickup.

8. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

The American Professional service diagram shows the neck pickup cover is already connected to ground with a separate yellow wire.

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/Fender Am Pro Telecaster 011306XXXX SM REV A 10-24-2016.pdf

For series connection try removing the neck pickup black wire from the rear of volume pot, the neck pickup white from the switch and the bridge pickup red from the switch. Join the bridge pickup red to the neck pickup black and the neck pickup white to the white linking the switch to the volume pot.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Webfoot likes this.
  9. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

I’m pretty sure you’ll love everything about it. If. Or hung wale, but yourself another control plate, knobs and switch. Wire that up, and replace the current one. If you don’t like it, sell it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.