4 way switch -- your experience

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by suave eddie, Jun 24, 2021.

1. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

I play a G&L ASAT Classic. I've always been intrigued by the idea of the 4 way switch.
    For those of you who have done it (especially if you have an ASAT) how often do you actually use the "series" position?

I always have a feeling that after installing it I would not end up using it.

Please share your experiences.

2. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

I have a Vintera Modified 50s Tele. I’ve played around with the series/out-of-phase switching at home but always forget to do so in band rehearsal/gig settings. The regular 3-way options are good enough for me, I guess. Maybe one of these days I’ll remind myself to use the other switching options in an actual song.

suave eddie likes this.
  3. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

There are more options for the extra position than just the series configuration. I wired mine to add a .02 uf cap to the middle position to cut some bass. I use that setting more than the regular middle position now.

Censport and suave eddie like this.
  4. Stiles

Stiles Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have one on my Barn Buster. Its great! I most often use it as a boost/fattener for solos. I have considered installing one on my CS '63, but I have an irrational fear of losing some tonal mojo.

suave eddie likes this.
  5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I found I didn't use it after the initial testing phase. I found it a hindrance when playing as it makes the selector more 'cramped' to my mind (despite also playing a Strat which of course has a 5 way switch). Put mine back to the standard 3 way switch arrangement.

I did fit a mid boost PCB to mine and that gives me much more control over the sound, giving it a 'fatter' sound as I dial up the mid boost, or just roll it back to zero for the standard Tele tones.

AAT65, Chicago Matt and suave eddie like this.
  6. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use series most often. Richer than single coil but not as heavy as a regular humbucker.

7. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

I mean, you can always go back. It definitely adds loudness and fatness, there's no doubt. Will you like it? I think you should try it and see.

Telecaster88, suave eddie and Ronzo like this.
  8. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love mine (in series) and use it regularly. Just more colors for the palette, particularly when playing something that lends itself to a humbucker-ish or a little fuller feel.

9. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I use that 4th position a lot - it's a great sound for the blues and blues/rock that I play.

I discovered that tone in an odd way - I traded guitars with a guy and got a Tele in return, it was an American Telecaster, maybe a Deluxe?

Maple neck, Cherry sunburst and binding - nice looking and playing guitar.

And it had a push switch on the knob that engaged the the two coils - humbucker style.

I always add that option to the Teles I build by using a 4-way switch - it makes a Tele so versatile.

Maguchi and Greggorios like this.
  10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

It’s a humbucker sound, a little louder and fatter than the single coils. I have one tele with the 4-way, and another with a 3-way. I like the series sound, but I don’t really use it much. Three distinct sounds is enough for me.

suave eddie likes this.
  11. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

Really like the 4 way switch on my Esquire.

Stiles and suave eddie like this.
  12. Vocalion

Vocalion TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I really like playing around with the 4th position on my Baja Tele. I also have the ten-way Free-Way switch on my MIM Standard-series Stratocaster which allows me to get three in-series pickup selections. I'm not so enamored with the in-series sounds on the Strat (especially the neck and middle combo) as it gets a bit flubby. I suspect it's because of the higher-output ceramic pickups. I'm going to guess that your ASAT has hotter pickups than my Baja, but I don't know whether the sounds I'm getting on my Strat are because of the higher-output pickups or something else entirely. Perhaps some of the others who were disappointed with the 4th position on their Tele can weigh in on how hot their pickups are.

suave eddie likes this.
  13. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I have a 2014 Fender Am Dlx Telecaster that came with the stock S1 switch. It crapped out a few years ago and I ended up putting in a 4 way switch instead of replacing the S1 switch. It works great for my needs. I play on the neck pickup 85% of the time so being able to flip the switch one notch to series for solos works great.

Maguchi, old wrench and suave eddie like this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Series is my favorite on my Tele. I have a treble bleed too so it’s delicious.

Brett Valentine and suave eddie like this.
  15. Sparky472

Sparky472 Tele-Holic

It’s become my default position. I use the others too, but I use series at least 50% of the time.

Maguchi and suave eddie like this.
  16. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

For some reason I've always suspected this would be my experience also.

Ricky D. likes this.
  17. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I have one in my parts box, but for the bloody life of me I couldn't figure out how to get that ground wire onto the metal neck pickup cover. I've thought about using it in a Strat and wiring the middle pickup to an independent volume straight to the jack--that would give me 9 total pickup switching combinations.

suave eddie likes this.
  18. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

It impressed me enough that it’s a modification that I’ve done to all of my telecasters. I find that I use it quite a bit. But then, I use all of the positions pretty regularly. I play a lot of different styles and it’s just another flavor in my toolkit.

I like teles a lot for jazz and I like the series position a lot for jazz….sometimes even more than the neck alone. Can sound rather like a P90 with some pickup sets.

It also works great as a lead boost as had already been mentioned.

I find I use all the settings as follows:

• Bridge alone: country lead, rock and general rhythm…especially in a band context.
    • Bridge + Neck in parallel: funk, some country, spaghetti western, surf and rockabilly. Also sounds great with expansive, Edge-style modulated delay.
    • Neck only: blues and rock soloing, some funk and jazz.
    • Bridge + Neck in series: fatter rhythm, lead boost fir rock and blues, jazz generally, particularly when I want warmth with more clarity and definition or anytime I want a P90ish tone.
    • I use all of them for worship and ambient.
    I can do everything I need with a Tele.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  19. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

For me is a sort of mini-boost that I can add as a plus in solo. On my partscaster Robben Ford inspired & Texas Specials.

Attached Files:

Fiesta Red and suave eddie like this.
  20. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

My setup is with a P90 in the neck, a treble bleed on the volume pot and a no load tone pot.

With the P90, the series position gets too thick, where you have to roll off the volume, which necessitates the treble bleed.

It's kind of like "give a pig a pancake" but in the end it's worth it.

rickthescot and suave eddie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.