4 way switch wiring; standard Tele + Eldred in position 1 or 4

NBS2005

TDPRI Member
Hi,

I have an Esquire with the 4 way Eldred mod. I'd like to add a neck pup and get the normal 3 Tele positions in addition to the current Eldred. Current layout is:

1. (pointing to neck) Eldred with volume
2. Bridge with vol and tone
3. Bridge with volume
4. Bridge direct out

What I want is:
1. Eldred
2. Neck with Vol Tone
3. both with Vol Tone
4. Bridge with Vol Tone

If a different order for that config makes more sense, I'd be happy to try that (maybe making the original 3 and 4 both pups and neck respectively). I asked my wiring guy and he didn't know how to do this so thought I'd ask here. I'd like to modify the existing harness.

Thanks,

Jeff

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
I'm having a tough time with this. Thinking about how to do it and bumping your post so hopefully someone that knows will see it and help.

NBS2005

TDPRI Member
Looks like there's no way I can find on how to do this. I wonder if making the eldred channel be in the tone circuit simplifies things; tone pot rolled off but eldred cap now in the circuit?

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Looks like there's no way I can find on how to do this. I wonder if making the eldred channel be in the tone circuit simplifies things; tone pot rolled off but eldred cap now in the circuit?

Have you thought about a push pull to do the Eldred? If you used a 3 way switch it would look something like this. You'd be able to activate the eldred cap on any position, though you could choose not to.

1666877577252.png

By the way that's a reverse plate drawing. I can redo it normal if you'd like.

NBS2005

TDPRI Member
That's a great plan, thank you! I did not think of the push pull pot; I've never used those. The volume pot is the push/pull correct? Yes, I love it if you could draw that in regular config. It will be fun to try the Eldred cap on the other combinations.

Thanks again.

Jeff

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
No problem! If you're not familiar with push/pulls I'll explain a bit, especially if you're wiring it yourself.

Your typical push/pull is going to look like the top picture, and that's what's in my drawing.

1666973889741.png

I usually buy these (link below) which are configured like the bottom picture (above) I labeled the lugs on my picture so if you wire it up like that you should be good.

With the eldred cap you'll want one side connected to the circuit and the other side grounded. I figured the easiest way to do it is wire one side to one side of the push/pull, and wire the other to the other side, then connect that side to ground. If that makes sense. In this case the push/pull is on the tone pot. If you'd rather have it on the volume, I can draw it that way, or if you just make the connections the same way, just imagine that block of 6 lugs is sitting underneath the volume pot it'll all work out. Let me know how it works!

1666973742793.png

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
That's a great plan, thank you! I did not think of the push pull pot; I've never used those. The volume pot is the push/pull correct? Yes, I love it if you could draw that in regular config. It will be fun to try the Eldred cap on the other combinations.

Thanks again.

Jeff

I just got to thinking that if you want to keep your 4 way switch you could also wire it up with the common series modification a lot of people do. So you'd have

Neck
Neck/Bridge (Parallel)
Neck/Bridge (Series)
Bridge

And then the Eldred Cap for each position with the push pull.