1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

4-way switch wiring...I can’t be the only one???

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by RollingBender, Oct 10, 2020.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

I love Telecasters. They have 2 single coil pickups and a 3-way switch. I use all switch positions.

I love Strat quack. I play Strat quite often but really only use M/B and B position on the switch.

Just chopped a hole in one of my favorite Teles and put in a Strat middle pickup. I want a 4-way switch for N, N/B, MB, and B. I don’t want a 5-way, don’t want extra pots and switches... just want the simple setup.

Can anyone tell me how to wire this up?

2. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Without spending my waning years trying to figure this out for you, I'll offer that you can't "wish" a switch to do what it's not built to do. You were given some alternatives last week.

Why not study some diagrams & try to figure it out for yourself, since it seems you're the only one who wants this?

3. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like 4-way switching to put two Tele pickups in series. One of the big draws to Teles for me is the absence of a middle pickup.

Maybe you can trade the tone pot for a blender or an independent volume that can roll your middle pickup on when a 3-way switch is in either the bridge or neck positions.

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

A 5 way and super 5 way have the lugs to do this.

You could wire all 3 pickups to a mustang slider switch so each one has on-off-on, enabling out of phase options.

A typical 4 way switch, to my knowledge, doesn't have the lugs to do it the way you describe.

There might be an option to have an off position on a 5way instead of Neck/middle. Certainly a super 5way has enough going on to do this. You can also cut the pickgaurd to not allow the 5th click on a super 5way, creating a situation where you can pretend it's a 4way.
    There are probably diagrams for those. Super 5s confuse me.

5. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Holic

Here you go.

Attached Files:

6. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

Obsidian has a premade kit for this type of 4 way switching which I really like.

7. RollingBender

Thanks @tubejockey.

I made a “wish” that the switch could do something it was not built to do, I sat down with the switch, pen and paper, and I figured it out. Come back here to reveal my discovery only to find that tubejockey beat me to it.

dlaroe and wabashslim like this.
  8. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Good job Bender! I only "wish" more guys would try to study out their own ideas instead of expecting others on here to do it for them. Guitar wiring is simple, safe, and fairly easy to figure out. Keeping the soldering iron off the finish takes as much concentration.

Frankie likes this.
  9. RollingBender

Got it wired up!!!
    1C3BD30F-CA9F-4E0E-A917-C0993A0A5EEF.jpeg
    New pickups, switch, pots, and pickguard on the old beater. Does just what I wanted...telecaster with added Strat quack.

10. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sweet! well how is it wired up? I'm digging that "hidden" middle pickup. I made one like it a few years ago and I seem to recall most folks just telling me to wire it up like a 5 way strat so that's what I did

11. gobruins

gobruins TDPRI Member

[Never mind. I figured it out. :)] What kind of bender do you have on the G and B strings?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.