4-Way Switch w/ Dimarzio Chopper T

digitalMagnetics

Tele-Meister
I've got a Dimarzio Chopper T in the bridge of one of my Teles. There's a Dimarzio Twang King in the neck. This is a cool combo because I get a medium-hot PAF-ish humbucker in the bridge, a very Tele-sounding middle position, and a clean, woody-sounding neck pickup tone. The only thing I'm missing is that thick humbucker-type sound you get when you have a traditional Tele with a 4-way switch installed (both single coils in series).

The thing is, the Chopper T is a humbucker. If I put a 4-way switch in, I'm not quite sure how to wire it up. I'm guessing I'd try wiring one of the coils from the Chopper T in series with the Twang King, but would that give me a tone similar to the neck-bridge-in-series tone of a normal Tele? Also, how would I go about doing that, exactly?

sjtalon

Doctor of Teleocity
I would try just wiring it up as you would any other. That is both neck coil leads to the switch per the diagram. That will series the neck with the bridge naturally.

The nice thing with the twang king is it already has the (separate) cover ground, so the two leads are free to do that with.

You can be the judge. Being that the bridge is a hb and not a single coil, only thing is it may be too dark, muddy in pos. 4.

One way to find out.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
To be clear, connect bridge green to hard ground. Bridge black and white are tied together, soldered and covered with heat shrink tubing. Bridge red goes on the switch.

Neck hot and Neck common both go on the switch. Ground the separate neck cover wire.

duanewalden50

TDPRI Member
I have a Peavey Reactor that I put a 4 way switch in. I'm really glad I did it. It adds so much to the tone when you put the pick ups in series. I had already put in Dimarzio Twang Kings in front and rear positions. I like the extra punch when you engage them but it still sounds like a Tele to me. Just with more oomph! I bought a switch from The Fender Custom Shop off of Reverb. Possibly the best Bang for Buck purchase I've made for under $20.00 in a long time! I hope this helps anyone on the fence about getting one or not. I highly recommend!