4 way switch too deep.

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by KelvinS1965, Jun 16, 2014.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I fitted a new 4 way switch to my Affinity Tele tonight, but the switch is too deep and the control panel won't go flush with the body. I like the extra tone it gives me with the pups in series (using Fender OV pups as well), so I wonder if there is an alternative switch to buy that will fit?

I could take a sliver of wood out of the cavity, but it's already very thin at this point and the switch can't be modified to reduce depth either.

The one I ordered was from Axesrus:

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Axesrus-Guitar-Lever-Switches-p/lps.htm

Is a Fender custom shop switch any thinner as I can get one of those easily enough in the UK, but no dimensions shown on the websites?

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How much do you need? I wonder if you could bend the offending lugs up so they don't contact the bottom of the cavity, or make a spacer out of pickguard material to raise the control plate a bit.

3. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Maybe you could use an import 5 way switch and use the 5th position for cocked wah or something else.

Attached Files:

• $_12.jpg
      $_12.jpg
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:
  4. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Affinity bodies are thinner than the rest of Fender's line up. You will probably have to use another switch or modify the one you have. You do not have enough body thickness to remove a little wood to clear the switch

5. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

Truth

6. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

The switch I showed will fit a thinner body.

7. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Kelvin if you can't bend those lugs enough to fit without causing you other issues you're probably gonna have to make a choice between shimming the control plate so it sits higher or an import switch like the one Glen Smith posted. There isn't much additional wood in that cavity to remove so if you try that approach I'd advise doing it little a time and only the minimum amount needed to get clearance. Good Luck.

8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

It's about 3-4mm too deep, but the lugs are already flat as it's the insulator part of the switch that is getting in the way. Rough measuring shows that there is barely any wood can be removed from the bottom of the cavity, so I was aware of this. I'll measure more accurately to see if it's possible without breaking through the wood. Maybe I can remove some material from the switch instead.

The import switch doesn't seem to have enough terminals on to be able to do the series/parallel options of connection though.

Shame as I like the series sound, so I'll have to work something out. at the moment the control plate is just sticking up proud of the body at the switch end so I've not fully tightened the screw.

9. glenmore92

glenmore92 TDPRI Member

I recently fitted a Grigsby 4 way switch in my Affinity. No problems with fit. You can get one from Northwest guitars in the UK. I ordered mine on EBay and paid postage, but I think if you order direct they don't charge postage.

10. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

This is the switch I use and had no problems fitting into my Affinity tele.

11. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking reverse the plate and use a 3P4T rotary. I like to think that I think outside of the box. :)

12. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I managed to bend over the lugs a bit further and it's made all the difference. I also filed a little bit off the side of the switch lever to allow it to go further over to firmly engage the series setting (position 1 as I've wired it). That was rather than filing the control plate slot as the travel on the 4 way switch is a fraction further than the 3 way.

It's working well now and in combination with the recently fitted TBX tone control I've got a nice variety of tones available to me. :cool:

13. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I fitted a 4 way Oak style switch in my beater Affinity, all I did was bend the bottom lugs on my switch a bit, and put some insulating tape under it so the wires didn't short out on the cavity shielding

[​IMG]

I wouldn't try taking more out from the bottom of the cavity, as the thinner body might prevent this.

14. dsutton24

You could also go ahead and punch a hole through the body so that the switch will fit, and cover the resulting hole with a plastic cover plate. You wouldn't be able to recess the cover like you usually would like on a back routed body.

15. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

All sorted now thanks Sollophonic. I'm just enjoying playing it now; I'll take it to rehearsals tomorrow night as well I think. That 4 way gives a nice variety of sounds and I particularly like the extra series one for more distorted leads especially.

Now I'm obsessing about building (well, assembling really) a Partscaster Tele with only a neck humbucker pup, kind of a reverse Esquire, with a 24.75" scale length too.

16. dsutton24

Oh yeah, you gotta do that!

17. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

as said the oak-grisby are slightly smaller than the CRL switches

18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Affinity's must be thin?..

my latest build is 40mm /1.6" thick... a 4 way fitted in the rout I made.. I think I left about 5mm of wood under the rout... it's not wafer thin under there... I did flatten the tabs down..it must be close to resting on the wood...;)

you could just dig a small groove under the switch area... just enough to let it sit in there?... it shouldn't go through the back?... I wouldn't rout down the whole cavity area...

19. meehaja

meehaja Tele-Meister

Mines not an affinity but I think its similar, slim bodied, top strung squier. As you say, there's not a lot of room for routing even if it's just a few mm, I made a 4 way from axesrus for the cavity by bending the terminals up a bit and wiring from behind, but maybe I had more depth? Also have a look at the switch, are the screw holes raised at all or does the switch top fit flush I the control panel? Ou could gain 1mm there maybe?

20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the comments guys, but I think you missed the bit where I said I managed to get it to fit by bending the tags back more.

My Affinity is about 12 years old, so I don't know if they were thinner back then, but the Axesrus switch is a tight fit in there, but just squeezes in now.

I saw the Eagles play last night and Bernie Leadon was playing with them on a Telecaster which sounded amazing...now I just need to be able to play like that. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.