4 way switch tele options

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ScottKilpatirck, Mar 29, 2020.

1. ScottKilpatirck

ScottKilpatirck TDPRI Member

I want the 4 way switch with a chunky 50s U neck. I dont want to buy the wiring unit or a neck separatly would prefer to buy an all in one guitar. Other than the baja or vintera what are my options? Is the a line I am missing. I love the sonic blue baja 60s but it doesn't have the neck i want.

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Most teles come with a 3-way switch, so your best bet is to find the best overall package of body, neck, color, pickups and then have a 4-way switch installed. It's not a big deal to have the mod done.

Buckaroo and SPUDCASTER like this.
  3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What's your budget?

The Baja or the Vintera's don't have the big "U" neck. They're a soft "V". A little chunky, but not the big fat "U".

You might find a reissue '52. I believe some of those have the fat "U" neck. Someone with more knowledge can weigh in on that aspect.

Then you can have a 4 way, push/pull or S1 for the series position. As ETL points out, not a difficult mod.

Have someone like Ron Kirn build you exactly what you want if you're budget allows it.

I don't personally have one of his guitars. He gets great reviews, plus he's a member here.

You have lots of options.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Don't forget, you will have to cut the "jumper" on the neck pickup and solder a separate ground lead on there.

If you happen to use a Bill and Becky "Keystone" that won't be necessary. If you order a set of pickups, by all means have your fabricator add this lead.

The #1 Downside of this "4 way plus more" wiring FMIC does on Bajas and etc., the pickups are not RWRP so that they can add these out of phase gimmick positions. 95% of people don't need those. All you need is JUST the four way, RWRP pickups, and of course that metal neck pickup cover has to be isolated to ground.

Bajas and their Vintera progeny are some of the noisiest Teles out there. With nobody doing shows in loud places, I would think a quiet at idle guitar would be more sought after than ever. RWRP pickups plus both Series and Parallel wiring schemes, mean 50% of your pickup selection choices are 60 cycle noise canceling. Big reason to do the 4 way, I think.

ScottKilpatirck and El Tele Lobo like this.
  5. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

This is by advice too.

ScottKilpatirck likes this.
  6. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Vintera 50 has a U neck. I had one, returned it because the sonic blue appeared bland.

The Vintera modified has the V neck. The 60’s Vintera has a 60’s C neck.

your best bet is a 50s Vintera standard with a four way mod

ScottKilpatirck and El Tele Lobo like this.
  7. horax

How do you cut the jumper and all that?

ScottKilpatirck likes this.
  8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Case settled. The 50's Vintera Standard it is. Every option he wants, probably fits his budget. Then he has to decide between sunburst, red or blue.

The jumper wire goes to, usually the black lead. Cut that and solder a new wire to the cover ground. Ground that wire to the back of a pot or any other acceptable ground point.

Plenty of threads here on the process.

9. horax

Dang. Don’t really feel like modifying my brand new SD LaBreas. Ugh

10. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

It's one snip and solder the new lead to the cover bracket. Takes longer to get the pickguard off.

11. ScottKilpatirck

ScottKilpatirck TDPRI Member

Thanks folks. I think you're all right. I'm just gonna get the one I want and have the switch done. Going for the vinterav50s maple neck sonic blue. Yes haw. U guys rock

boris bubbanov, SPUDCASTER and horax like this.
  12. horax

Saw one on MF or on reverb that was like 750 new

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  13. lasrup

lasrup TDPRI Member

If you can still get them - a limited series, the Japan hybrids have a chunky neck and a four way switch.
    The build quality on these is superb .[​IMG]

14. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

You will like the 4 way. Just get used to stopping one click early when switching from right to left, targeting the neck pickup by itself. That is the primary "player's trick" when performing. The other "player's trick" is when you have both pickups on (full left position) it is louder than the bridge pickup by itself, so learn to play easier and/or deftly adjust the volume knob.

IMO, A big part of learning to play a Tele generally is knowing how to control the differing volumes when you flip the pickup selector switch (3 way and 4 way). That loudness inequity is what can turn a lot of players off to a Tele...opting instead for a relatively "even pair" of humbuckers (or P 90's) on a Gibson model or a "3 pickup even sounding trio" on a Stratocaster.

Once a player makes the (challenging) sacrifice to master the Tele pickup inequity there is a high reward. Basically, the challenge is just learning how to play lighter on the louder pickup switch positions and knowing that the volume knob requires more attention overall.

Buck (a recovering Strat and Les Paul addict)...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    boris bubbanov likes this.
  15. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

True. A week or so I installed an Oak Grigsby 4-way on my Tele. What was said above re: volume settings is spot-on! I also installed a treble bleed and found that with the guitar volume full on in position 4, I had a muddy, loose, (& louder) sound that didn’t really work for me. Backing down the volume to 5 or 6 have the desired thick sound but with better note definition. I like this position with both clean and dirty settings. With the volume backed off a bit it sounds like position 2 but with more girth and drive. So if you’ve given up on a 4-way, you should consider this advice!

16. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Meister

The S-1 switch in my American Deluxe was having intermittent failure issues so I snatched it out and went with a 4-way. On the recommendation of @fasteddie42 (I think) and other members here, I also changed the pots to a 1meq vol. and a no load tone. I did use a treble bleed. I love everything about it.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The 4-way switch is my favorite Tele mod. Second is to reverse the control plate for V-T-Switch to the back.

When installing the 4-way switch, there are diagrams out there for putting the series option in any order of the other positions.
    series/neck/parallel/bridge (default)
    n/series/p/b
    n/p/series/b
    n/p/b/series

I go with the last one as I play clean or drive and less often go quacky or twangy so I can flip the switch lock to lock quickly and 'back up one' if I need the special conditions.

18. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

I grabbed these off of here a while back, I'm guessing Moosie drew them?. I like having neck alone in position 4. Works much easier than having bridge and neck there.
    multiple tele diagrams.JPG

drmordo likes this.
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like the Bridge only, with the blade full down, and N + B in series with it all up. The neck alone isn't my go to choice with any of the pickup sets I do 4 ways on, so it gets relegated to the middle with N + B in parallel.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.