1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

4 way switch recommendations please

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by RockinforJesus, Jan 28, 2021.

1. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus Tele-Meister

Looking for real life experience/recommendations before I get started replacing my 3 way with a 4 way switch.
    This is the drawing I am planning on following. Anyone else here done this particular order? Bridge/Series/Parallel/Neck
    CC4ABD51-A26A-4BAB-86F7-E3680BBEF66F.jpeg
    It will be going on an American Standard Tele with the Delta Tone System. The pickups are American Vintage.
    Also, while I am under the hood, would you recommend any other mods (treble bleed, etc.)?
    Thanks for your help.
    44343299-93E8-4E89-A85D-2A062628BD71.jpeg

2. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

A lot of people like the Series selection all the way up front. The way I did it has the middle two reversed from yours:

https://www.fralinpickups.com/2017/03/14/4-way-switching-tele/

I particularly like the "kinman" treble bleed with cap and resistor in parallel.

20181127_235632~2.jpg

Delta is a no load tone pot, right?

I need to get me one of those because my 4-way guitar has a P90 in the neck and I need every bit of head room when in series.

You'll love it.

RockinforJesus likes this.
  3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Position is purely personal preference. I put the series in pos 2, next to the bridge. My logic is: it's a combo position, so is between the singles. It's a hotter sound than parallel, so it goes near the bridge, which is a hotter sound than neck.

Gosh, I never wrote that out before. Sounds a LOT more complicated than it is.

Put the two on the ends that you need to 'slam' into without looking. Fill in the middle from there.

For wiring diagrams covering four common orderings, see my post.

Marc Morfei and RockinforJesus like this.
  4. moosie

Treble bleed is also personal taste. Do you notice loss of treble when dialing back the volume? Do you ever dial back the volume?

5. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus Tele-Meister

with the Delta no load tone pot, it is very bright, and I don't ride the volume knob so much, but do control my dirt/gain levels with my OD and boost pedals

jfgesquire likes this.
  6. moosie

Then you don't need a treble bleed. That only helps retain treble when rolling down volume. If you don't roll down, or if when you do, you don't notice treble loss, you're good without the circuit.

RockinforJesus likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.