1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

4 Way Switch & Pickup Height ?'s

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by aziltz, Jul 8, 2011.

1. aziltz

aziltz NEW MEMBER!

First post! I may have had a different handle a few years ago but I've forgotten it.

So I've got SD Five-Two pickups in my tele, wired with a 4 Way switch for both series and parallel.

So far I usually use the Bridge for most rhythm and lead work, clean or dirty, the parallel setting for clean finger picking and the neck for bluesy, semi-clean strat style leads.

The new series position sounds pretty good for leads, but its a bit woofy on the low end, too woofy/woolly for me to really use for dirty rhythm as it makes my OD/distortion sounds kind fizzy when they sound great with the bridge. I'm a big chord kind of rhythm guy.

Anyway, I know next to nothing about pickup height, but I installed everything to the general standard specs and I'm not sure what to adjust to tighten up the bass in the series position, if that's even possible. I was hoping for something with tighter bass and a mids emphasis, if its possible.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

2. benjammin420

benjammin420 TDPRI Member

pickups in series are a pretty woofy sound, I suggest setting the pickup heights as you normally would, trying to adjust for the best possible series tone will affect the other settings

3. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Imo the 4-way series/parallel is a must-have on any tele. :!:

If you only have a 3-way then do the series wiring mod :idea:

Pickup height is a matter of taste.
    I raise the bridge pickup until it hits the strings then lower away until I find its sweet spot. But it /must/ never hit the strings, I palm the strings hard, nasty noise.
    Then I raise/lower the neck pickup until it matches output with the bridge pickup. Again it must not clank on the strings but I also try to find its sweet spot too and will accept a slight mismatch.

The tele bridge pickup is big and powerful, this allows the neck pickup to be raised higher than on a strat. The tele also seems less fussy on balancing strings, from one to the next, vintage stagger (wound 3rd) vs modern stagger, so you do not have to tilt the pickupses to extremities.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.