4 Way Switch Issue

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by VerLaTele, Nov 18, 2019.

1. VerLaTele

VerLaTele TDPRI Member

I recently had a 4 way switch installed in my telecaster and asked the tech to make the 4th position both pickups in series. I also had a switch installed for out of phase sounds in the 2nd and 4th position. I was under the impression that the 4 position would sound a bit louder and a little more like a humbucker, but I got it back today have been a little disappointed. The volume seems to be the same as the other positions and it almost sounds like the regular 2nd positon with the tone rolled off to about half way. Is this normal or did the tech wire the switch incorrectly?

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

Loosen the switch screws and try it- common for the slot to be too short to allow the switch to travel all the way.

You can take a paper clip and tap on the pups to verify all positions, and what should be happening.

You will know the series works (4) as it will be a darker tap than what you hear on 2.

You can take a fine tooth hack saw blade and lengthen the slot opening if you don't have a real small file.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah it's strange that the 3-way switch and 5 way switch will fit and work in the same slot, but the 4-way switch requires a longer slot.
    The tech should've caught that or they didn't know how it wire it right. Take it back and tell them to verify that it works as it should and that the slot is long enough.

4. sjtalon

>Yeah it's strange that the 3-way switch and 5 way switch will fit and work in the same slot, but the 4-way switch requires a longer slot.<

It's that new math :lol:

Actually the 3 and 5 travel about the same, id est, 60º total. The 5 w, is just a 3 w, with two more stops. Each click is 15º, vs. 30.

So the 4w has an extra lug, so needs a longer wiper...............so more lever travel.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    LutherBurger and AAT65 like this.
  5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For the OP, it may not be obvious, from what they're saying... but you're hearing neck pickup in positions 3 and 4, because you're never actually leaving position 3.

6. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I think that sounds like a pretty good description of how the series position sounds on my guitar!
    If I’m playing it by myself I still hear the two-pickup frequency-cancelling effect as dominating the sound: but darker, ie a lot of the top rolled off.
    Played loud in a band context it’s clearly got more grunt, so it’s a sort-of humbucker alternative, but I don’t think it’s all that great. I very rarely use it.
    Since some people love the series position I wonder how much it varies with different pickups.

tlsmack likes this.
  7. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

4th position on a few teles i tried it on was only slightly fatter than 3rd. Not enough of a difference to make it worth the mod. I am guessing different pickup combos respond differently to being put in series.

8. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

Make sure your switch isn't grounding out on the shielding at the bottom of the control route.

Geo likes this.
  9. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

It is possible that part of the switch wiring isn't correct for the series position.

10. sjtalon

I'm thinkin' his computer is now broke too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.