4 way switch in CVC, worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by zorro, Dec 3, 2014.

1. zorro

zorro TDPRI Member

Anyone with experience from installing a 4 way switch in a CVC with stock pickups? Is the 4th position usable? Does the hum increase, or is it OK if you ground the neck pickup cover with a separate wire?

/z

2. kjt1776

kjt1776 Banned

I have a 4 way on my custom build, love it and would recommend using it on any telecaster regardless of pickup models. It adds a good amount of verstility. Its not hard to wire up just keep the diagram right next to you and take it one step at a time.

3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I have 4-way switches on two of my three Teles. The series position does provide a useful sound different from the others, like a humbucker between the neck and bridge.

You must snip the connection between the neck pickup cover and the coil winding, otherwise the cover is in the signal path in the series position. If you then ground the cover with a separate wire, the guitar will be no more noisy than it was before.

4. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely worth it, you'll need to do the grounding of the neck pickup as suggested and you'll be fine. The fourth position gives a different tone and a boost in volume, great for cutting through in a live situation where you need that kick. A four way can be a tele's secret weapon!

5. STRAT'71

STRAT'71 Tele-Meister

I concur with all the above.
    My CVC sounds very good and humbuckery in the 4th position.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Lots of questions here.

1) No the hum won't increase. Since the two pickups form a humbucker of sorts that position will hum cancel.

2) You absolutely need to ground the neck pickup cover separately. It's not an option.

3) As for doing it with the stock pickups it won't be bad but not as good as it will be with an upgraded set like Keystones or Twang Kings. It does give you a 4th tonal option which is great. Just how well you like it depends on your ears.

I've 4-ways in three of my Teles and IME the more transparent the neck pickup the better the results in series since that setting will both increase the volume and darken the tone. Pickups like Keystones and Twang Kings are known for their clarity and the transparent bell like tonality of their neck pickups.

My Keystones are my favorites in series and since that set is RW/RP you the also hum canceling in the Bridge/Neck parallel position as well as the series position. I don't think it's ever a waste to install a 4-way. If it's not exactly what you want just upgrade the stock pickups. Keystones only run $64-$72 per set and if you sell your stock set you can probably get $25-$30 for them.

7. zorro

zorro TDPRI Member

Thank you all for very useful feedback and good advices! I'll do it in due time.

/z

8. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

To the contrary of most I never found the series position useful and removed the 4-way switch.

9. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

i like the 4th position so much
    I use a 3way and ditched parallel.

great mod!

10. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Yes if the pickups are reverse polarity , and willing to mod one of the pickups adding a third wire.

I even when to a 5 way switch ...

Mark

11. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Go for it! But you HAVE to add a third wire for the neck pickup cover, there's no way around that.

12. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Totally agree! ^^^

13. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

How did you wire that? I've thought about that myself, but couldn't figure out how to wire the switch.

14. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

You only get hum canceling if one of the pickups is RW/RP vs. the other. If you have hum canceling now in the parallel position, it will be hum cancelling in the new series position as well. Otherwise not.

15. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

16. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Thanks!

17. tonebro

tonebro Tele-Meister

4-way switch

Absolutely worth it. I put a Fralin Mini-humbucker in the neck and a Fralin stock Tele single coil, 2% + in the bridge of my blonde Squier Standard. I use this wiring scheme, with a good quality Oak-Grigsby switch, and it works great, sounds awesome. Just be sure when the switch is installed, the side with the fiberglass is facing the bridge.

Attached Files:

18. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Good point which is why I suggested the Keystones in lieu of his stock pickups but I probably didn't spell that out very well. Should have noted that.

19. fil9998

fil9998 TDPRI Member

i totally agree

20. zen-box

zen-box Tele-Meister

Yup, me too :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.