1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

4-way switch in 3 pickup Tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by RollingBender, Oct 7, 2020.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Talk about a needle in a haystack...there are Soooo Many wiring diagrams OT there but I cannot find one that matches what I want.

Standard Tele with an added Strat middle pickup. I want the 3 standard Tele options and for the 4th position, I want bridge/middle (Strat quack).

Anyone have this drawn out?

2. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

No. But as long as you’re going with a Nashville set up, why not go with a 5-position switch? I see no reason not to take full advantage of the possibilities.

Blue Bill likes this.
  3. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

How about a 4-way wired the usual way with series - parallel and a pull-pot for the middle pup? Best of both worlds.

4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, 5-way seems inevitable.

5. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Just trying to make this guitar do what I use. On a Tele, I use all 3. On a Strat, I use bridge and bridge/middle. 4-way would cover all of those bases.

6. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

When I added a Strat middle to a Tele many years back I used a couple different setups. Not exactly what you are asking, but here goes.

3-way switch + dedicated volume for Strat middle
    4-way switch + dedicated volume for Strat middle
    4-way switch + mini-toggle for Strat middle

Catching a theme there? Using a volume for the middle pickup would definitely produce different tones, but nothing that was worthwhile in the crowded bars I was playing in. The mini-toggle was simple & easy to use & wire up. A little trial and error with pick-up heights to level the output, but once set a flick of the mini-toggle brought in the Strat sound whenever I wanted. Of course in your case, you would only flick that switch when the Tele selector was on the bridge pickup.

There are the super switches to do funky pickup wirings but to my knowledge they are all 5-way setups. Although maybe you could use one of those and have position 5 (or 1 or whatever) be mute or duplicate of one of the other settings you like.

(PS: After experimenting, I found that just two Tele pickups and an out-of-phase switch when in B/N gave a better faux-Strat quack than having the middle pickup on the Tele. But that's a story for another post.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.