4-way rotary switch

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by domdec314, Apr 4, 2008.

1. domdec314

domdec314 TDPRI Member

I'm doing a custom wiring job on a guitar and I want to use a 4-way rotary switch (http://www.allparts.com/store/4-pos-rotary-switch,Product.asp) instead of a lever switch. I've never used a rotary switch so I'm not completely sure how to wire it. Based off of this diagram (http://deaf-eddie.net/tdpri-drawings/4-ways.jpg , the option on the right) I came up with this:
    [​IMG]
    I'm using only the bottom of the switch which is all I believe I need to use. Would this work? I'm not much of an electrician so I wouldn't be surprised if it's completely wrong.

2. domdec314

domdec314 TDPRI Member

Can anybody verify if this diagram would work?

3. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

I can't see your diagram - photobucket is blocked for me. Send me the diagram in a PM and I will confirm or correct it for you.

4. domdec314

domdec314 TDPRI Member

Here's the diagram uploaded to this site for those that can't see the other one:
    [​IMG]

5. Deaf Eddie

And, it looks good to me.

Don't forget to unground/reground the neck pup's metal cover, if it has one.

6. domdec314

domdec314 TDPRI Member

Thanks a lot. I just got the switch in yesterday, wired it up, and it it works perfectly.

7. orpheo

orpheo TDPRI Member

Hi,

this is my first post here. Sorry to bump this topic up, but I would like to know something about that switch. The site of allparts says it's a 4 pole switch, but I see only 2 wafers. Would it be possible to switch with this rotary, 2 humbuckers at the same time for left coil/right coil/series/parallel?

8. Deaf Eddie

Yup

Yes, that could be done. The switch is a stacked two-wafer switch, and each wafer has two poles. SO, you could do one pup on the top wafer, and one on the bottom; or, if it made better sense to you, you could do one pup on the two poles that are above and below each other on one semi-circular half of the switch, and the other pup on the above-and-below poles on the other side of the circle... Man, that's tough to put into words!

9. orpheo

orpheo TDPRI Member

oh, thats lovely! I've got a wiring in mind I bet you will love (yes, your reputation as wiring-guru precedes you, even to the European mainland!).

3 motherbuckers by Kent Armstrong (i.e.: 3x 2 hotrails next to eachother)
    each in 1 triple shot (left rail, right rail, both in series, both parallel)
    each rail connected to the 4 way rotary for simultanious splits (outer coil, inner coil, series, parallel, for each hotrail itself!).

Though the middle won't get a 4 way rotary, that will go to 2 push push pots,with this wiring, where the pots will act as master volume/tone.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2_prails_2v_2t_tspp

ofcourse, there I'll only use the toggle-parts from the pots ;)

I hope you understand what I mean? :oops:

first the wires of the motherbuckers (4 for each hotrail, so 8 for each Motherbucker) will go to the rotary. there, from each wafer, I get 2 wires: earth and hot, those go to the triple shot ring (in fact just 2 dpdt switches in a humbucker ring), and that will finally be wired to the pickup selector :twisted:

what do you think of this?

10. Deaf Eddie

Well, it certainly seems like it will WORK...

It would probably be interesting in the bedroom, garage, or the studio, but I'd hate it when I to have to switch between two different tones, on stage, in the middle of a song, in half a bar between the vocal chorus and the guitar solo... :eek:

Let us know how it turns out.

11. orpheo

orpheo TDPRI Member

haha, I don't use it like that on stage. I use it as presets so to say :) for example, to get a totally strat-sound out of that guitar. if I need a bit more beef, I'll just pump up the volume of the amp, or the gain, ofcourse.

12. bijayandra

bijayandra NEW MEMBER!

Hi there.
    i want to install the rotary switch for my 4 way pickup on my tele style guitar too.i am a complete beginner in wiring and stuff. can u please briefly explain to me about the wiring procedure you did.what does input lug and hot lead mean? thanks a lot for ur time and help.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  13. RatherBeFishing

RatherBeFishing Tele-Afflicted

Sorry for the zombie revival of this thread. Where can you find a 4 way 2 pole switch like this? Allparts no longer carries it.
    Thanks

14. Deaf Eddie

PM me...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.