4 Tele's to choose from! Help!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BenJ, Jun 18, 2019.

Which Tele?

1. Nash T-52 ($$)

2. LSL T-Bone One ($$$)

3. Fender American Original ($$$$)

4. Musikraft/Guitar Mill/MJT/Rutters Partscaster ($)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BenJ

BenJ TDPRI Member

Greetings!

I just wanted to get some help deciding. I am currently choosing between 4 Telecasters. A partscaster, a Nash T-52, a LSL T-Bone One or a Fender American Original 60's Telecaster.

Here's the specs:

Parts have been aged by MJT

Musikraft Blackguard #4942 profile (‘53) in roasted Birdseye Maple Premium 4A

Guitar Mill Swamp Ash Blackguard Body in Butterscotch Nitro

Lollar specials in neck and bridge

Rutters hardware

And assembled by a local Luther/guitar tech who's got a great reputation.

I suppose the resale value won't be much of a dip since the original owner is taking that hit for me. But I've never really had experience with partscasters before.

The other choices I have costs more a Nash T-52 for $240 more, a LsL T-Bone One for $480 more, a Fender American Original 60s for $700 more.

The Fender the most expensive on the list is the only brand new guitar on the list hence the large jump in price, but I do love the new AO series and the LPB 60s Tele just jumped out to me.

The Nash while also technically being a partscaster has had a lot of great feedback. I know there's also a lot of negative posts about Nash but a used one sounds hard to beat! It's also only a few months old and I did enjoy my friend's Nash Tele as well.

The LSL T-Bone One also has amazing reviews and I don't think I've seen a negative one yet. All the parts are also built by LSL including the hand wound pickups. Sounds very cool and boutique it's a NAMM 2018 model also at a great price as it's used.

Lastly the cheapest of the lot, the partscasterlooks like it's been built with quality parts. The birdseye maple neck is beautiful and the pickups are the same as the Nash's which I do love the tone of. The original owner said he built it with his favourite Nocaster in mind.

I know I probably have to drive around and test these guitars tomorrow as the ultimate deciding factor but I'm quite interested to see everyone's opinion on it.

Thank you! Here are some pics..

Partscaster:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nash:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LSL:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fender:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Talk about a first world problem!

You're gonna have to buy them all and send them on to me. I'll do some extensive "testing" - it may take a while - and I'll let you know which one is best.

AxemanVR and nojazzhere like this.
  3. BenJ

BenJ TDPRI Member

Haha tomorrow will be a long day, I'll be driving around to test these! I've already played and fallen in love with the double bound 60s Fender.

The test is to see if these non-fenders can sway me otherwise plus save me money.

4. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

I had an American Original 50s and I now have a Nash T-52. The AO had a perfect neck, but the Nash beats it in every other way and if I hadn't experienced the AO neck I wouldn't even be mentioning the neck because the Nash neck is that good.

My T-52 is heavy relic and the nearly bare wood on the neck feels amazing in the hand. It has Lollar pickups, HB in the neck, Tele in the bridge, and is the best sounding guitar I've ever owned. And as much as I would like to have an AO 60s out of your choices I'd pick the Nash. I've heard great things about LSL but I've never played one

nojazzhere and BenJ like this.
  5. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

On looks alone, I would go for the Nash.

While reading the OP, I thought the partscaster would have been my pick, but the birdseye is a bit too intense for my taste.

Have fun with the quest! :)

David Barnett, nojazzhere and BenJ like this.
  6. BenJ

BenJ TDPRI Member

Thanks! I really felt that way playing my friend's Nash. The new Fender is the most expensive option but it does look the prettiest! I was initially wanting to get a used fender custom shop but at the moment it seems like I'd rather save money for my wife's sake lol.

7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I'd grab that partscaster if the price was right.

[​IMG]

AxemanVR likes this.
  8. BenJ

BenJ TDPRI Member

I initially thought that too but it's growing on me. I was thinking the Partscaster vs Nash but it's a few hundred dollars difference. I suppose I have to play them.

9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Wow, tough choice!! FWIW, I have a couple of Musikraft necks, they are close to perfect. That blue one is gorgeous, though. For me it would be between the Fender and the partser. The Fender will hold it's value better than the others, but it looks like you could get two, or all three of the others for the same price. Good luck!!!

BenJ likes this.
  10. BenJ

BenJ TDPRI Member

That is true! But the Fender is also the only brand new guitar on the list. So it's probably the one that will drop the most in value after I purchase it.

Skamania and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

True dat. I guess it depends on whether you are looking for a guitar you will love for years, or one you plan to keep a while, then re-sell it. Playing them for an hour or so will answer a lot of questions. Have fun.

nojazzhere and BenJ like this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

From strictly an appearance standpoint, the Fender is my least favorite. The other three "look" more like my thing, but without playing them and especially feeling the neck, I couldn't make a choice. Since I'm ALWAYS about bargains, if the neck is acceptable, I'd go with the lowest price. I never choose anything based on resale.....only on whether I want to play it or not. Have you considered building from scratch, even if you have someone else assemble it? Please update when you make your choice!!!!

Greggorios likes this.
  13. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    I gotta say... "TONE" is the ONLY thing worth considering!!!

All things being equal quality-wise (and depending on what you can afford), go for the one that SOUNDS THE BEST!... otherwise what's the freaking point?!? :confused:

Also, sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but high-dollar boutique clones or custom shop variants are not inherently "better" than anything else. In fact I've heard plenty of lowly partscasters that blew my fragile eggshell mind!

...thus the reason I didn't vote...

`

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    nojazzhere, Greggorios and teletimetx like this.
  14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Just on the superficial appearance (hey, all I got are photos here...):

For my eyes, though, the Nash and the Fender were most appealing.

Not feeling the love for the Lsl T-bone; looks like it's trying too hard to look blackguard - whatever that means.

the partscaster looks like great value, but wow, that birds-eye is over the top, in a "get-off-my-lawn" way...It's beautiful, for sure, but for my plebeian tastes, maybe too much.

...the 60's LPB is just a classic double bound look. What's not to like?

so yeah, play and see which one sounds and feels best to you. Unless your financial picture is somehow so unstable that buying any of these in the first place is not such a great idea, then choose with your ears and hands first; then if there's still some deciding to do, yeah, save some money. Can't hardly go wrong by saving some money.

Greggorios, E5RSY and AxemanVR like this.
  15. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

I bought a new AO Jaguar last year. But I think I will confine my future purchases to enjoyed guitars.

I would get door # 4 a partscaster with less Birdseye maple. But if you like it go for it. I like maple necks but the Birdseye, though maybe more valuable, is rather busy.

16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I picked the Blue one...I prefer it to the (arguably more popular) Butterscotch, but I guess you've just got to buy what feels best to you: Once bought a '50s Tribute' Les Paul with a 'baseball bat' like neck, as that's what 'everyone' seemed to think was best...Turns out it wasn't, so I had to sell it at a loss and buy the slim tapper neck 60s version that suited me (even if it wasn't the popular choice).

EDIT: I always try before I buy now.

17. BenJ

BenJ TDPRI Member

It's a hard choice. Money isn't a problem I just have a budget in mind and I'd like to save money while I'm at it. Who doesn't? :p

I found a 3TSB American Original 60s Tele for the price of the LSL. So that might push me towards that since it's a Fender and hey the headstock matters to me to an extent. I will try out the Nash and the Partscaster today though!

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Just from photos I vote for the Nash or the partscaster, but your hands and ears should make the decision.

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Playabilty and tone aside as only you will know.. I rather have quality parts than a name on a headstock. But my circle of friends we talk parts, upgrades, etc..but only if they do the math too.

Greggorios likes this.
  20. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Play 'em, then decide. LSL and Nash make some nice instruments on a custom shop level and have great reputations. Not sure about your local luther's guitar. If you gotta have the Fender logo then you go with the production line American Original, a regular factory production line guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.