4-string Tenor Alternate Reality

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Art VanDelay, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

I saw this in my Reverb feed and had to give it a look. I personally think this is a cool concept for a guitar and lives up to its alternate reality name. It appears to be based on the 4-string banjo so I'd guess an open tuning could lead to some fast playing on its small neck.

https://rvrb.io/alternate-reality-3cay5r

[​IMG]

Random1643 and schmee like this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Meister

There was a thread recently about them and the general consensus was that they’re over priced.( and no one understood the appeal)
    I don’t have a problem with them , I just don’t know how to play one but would be interested in trying one out if my local shop gets one

3. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

That looks interesting but I'd be way more interested in a "Special Run" "unofficial" Keef inspired 5 string Tele Custom and '52...

4. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

To me, unique is the appeal. It already comes with Alnico pickups...seems good to go stock & as-is. As far as being overpriced, maybe for the initial MSRP but tell me those won't be on Reverb in Mint condition a month after its release for $100 less.

I don't know, I guess my thinking is that when Fender tries something radical it seems like its for a niche market and when Gibson tries something it ends up being a reversed Flying-V or Hendrix Strat or rape-van finishes, robotuners, etc.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

$499 doesn't seem too out of line to me. After all, the Eastwood Tenorcaster is $599 and most of their other tenor models are priced the same or more.

I'm mildly tempted by it, especially the LPB one Sweetwater is advertising, but I want to get some other stuff first.

6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Interesting. I have several tenors (mostly tenor banjos but one or two tenor guitars). They're fun to play. I'd wait for the sale, of course.

I'd be more interested in finding a set of 4-string Tele pickups. I have a box full of vintage tenor banjo necks...

Edit: has anyone actually seen one of these? To me, it looks like the body has been re-sized/scaled down. I wonder what it looks like next to a standard Tele?

Edit #2: The NAAM video sez the body is 3/4 sized.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  7. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I have a 4 string tenor CBG. It’s pretty fun.

Removing the bottom couple strings can bring out some new ideas.

I think it’s as over priced as much as any brand new guitar.

Not sure I’m going to get one new. But I would like to encourage them to keep doing different kinds of things. So maybe...

8. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

It seems like they may not be coming until September.

Almost a perfect Christmas gift. Expensive, but not too expensive. A little weird. Something most people wouldn’t buy themselves.

trapdoor2 likes this.
  9. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

10. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

To me it's a novelty with limited use/need, but it's a cool and fun one and I like the idea.
    I have an acoustic tenor guitar that I haven't played in a while, but I enjoy playing it in the 5ths tuning which I find to be pretty straightforward to learn, and breaks me out of my habits which can be great.

howardlo likes this.
  11. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Meister

I changed my mind I’ll buy one if it has a little ashtray cover!

Fendereedo and ScribbleSomething like this.
  12. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Great idea. Miz Diane, ahem, Santa hasn't given me an instrument in years. :D

13. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I think they look fun. Playing may be a learning curve for me, I didn't really take too well to playing a uke, too fiddly, so will probably pass. I'm pleased Fender are pushing the boundaries with something different again, and I'm glad there will be players out there, who will love these little fellas.

Art VanDelay likes this.
  14. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

As a guy who plays banjo and spends about half his time on guitar in open tunings this looks very playable; maybe tune to the top end of open G. But other than perhaps the sound of the pickups, I don't think this'd add much to my current set of tools, sounds.

hotraman and Fendereedo like this.
  15. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Looks like they have brought out an electric solid-bodied baritone uke. I have an acoustic electric baritone uke which I use mostly as a travel guitar. Had this been available at the time I bought mine, I would have considered it for a moment, before discounting it as too expensive.

16. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I have a tenor acoustic. Play it lot.

BTW, tenor guitars and tenor banjos don't tune to an open chord. They tune CGDA. Nice in that gives a different chord voicing (inversions) than guitar.

Only the five string banjo tunes to an open chord. GDGBD.

hotraman likes this.
  17. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

Just because my '98 Saturn didn't come with mud tires doesn't mean I can't do it....hell yeah

NothingGoatboat likes this.
  18. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Back in the 30s and 40s many Jazz players and Swing players used tenor guitars. Most of them tuned like a guitar without the low strings. I had a tenor guitar, they are so easy to think on playing Swing because those chunk chunk big band rhythms sound best on the upper four strings, anyway.

Some tenor banjo players tune the tenor banjo the same way, to guitar tuning. They call that the Chicago tuning. When I play Trad Jazz, I use a tenor banjo tuned like the four highest strings of a guitar: D, G, B, E

19. SynMike

SynMike Tele-Meister

I have this Tombo "Ukelet", an electric ukulele from the early 70s, made in Japan. I guess it would be similar to the Alternate Reality Tenor Telecaster in some ways, although nowhere near twangy Tele tone. The quality all around is not great, the 1/8" output jack is bad idea. It is amazing how far Japanese quality jumped in the 10 years after this.

My mom bought it for dad for only $25 (sale price sticker still on the box) from the Woodwards department store where she worked.

It's fun to play, a bit of a novelty. But I've never found a serious use for it.

[​IMG]

20. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

Tune it GDAE (low to high), get yourself some mandolin instruction books, and wail on it.
    (Tenor banjos can be tuned GDAE or CGDA depending on scale length and string diameter.)

Say it Isn't So gets started around 19mins in. Darryl Hall plays a tenor guitar of some variety on the song. It's a cool little rhythm riff.
    Warning: Mid 80's pop-hipster content. It's an 'OMG did we really dress like that?' moment. DH has a LOT of Aquanet in that mane! But GE Smith and T-Bone Wolk are in great form.

Daniel

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.