3rd Rail Amps?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by ReverendRevolver, Jul 5, 2020.

1. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

So, I decided last week to stop looking for "a 5e5 OR something to scratch one of 4 other itches" and just look for the 5e5, like I've been half looking at for about a year.

Now, if I were after the more common/popular tweed pro, the 5e5a, I'd probably already have one.

But I'm after the 55 version, the oversized 5e3 with 6l6s, bigger transformer, and a 15" speaker.

I've found a few amps that are close but with a 12 instead of 15.

So, I started asking people about them. I sent messages last week to 2 builders, but haven't heard back. I have a guy on Reverb measuring his cab when he gets home to see if a 15 would fit.

But.......

I asked Brian at 3rd Rail if one he had could fit a 15, he said probably not, but can have the chassis into a new vintage correct pro size cab and shipped by Friday.

Before I pull the trigger, I thought I'd ask if anyone has experience with his work. I researched his work last month, and couldn't find any complaints.
    Looks to have vintage transformers.
    Gutshot:
    Screenshot_20200705-192550_Reverb.jpg

Thoughts?

2. BubbaTheHutt

BubbaTheHutt TDPRI Member

I bought a 60s AC15 head from 3rd Rail a few years ago. Killer. Sounds great, excellent build quality, and top notch customer service. I was so satisfied now I always browse what he has for sale on Reverb, as I would be happy to buy another amp from him. 2 thumbs way up!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  3. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

They have a great reputation and that offer to have something shipped by Friday is crazy fast service.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I had to read what he said 3 times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. I'm not even sure the laquer will be dry on the tweed by then........

I'll be paying him after work today, I'm pretty sure the amp will get here before the speaker. I'll be ordering a weber tomorrow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.