3PDT foot switch wiring, many different ways.....

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by trancedental, Dec 26, 2012.

1. fender09

fender09 TDPRI Member

Steve

I have 9v to the board, on the input jack.

The transistors are something like this:
    Q1: Col-8.71, Base-.59, Emit-7.5mV
    Q2: Col-.85, Base-.245, Emit-0
    Q3: Col-3.58, Base-.859, Emit-247.1mV

So, there is a board issue somewhere around Q2 from what I gather. Is that right?

It's kind of crammed together, especially in the pictures.

I am sorry for sort of jacking this thread, but I surely thought there may have been an issue with my 3pdt wiring.

Attached Files:

2. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

Thank you for satisfying my curiosity trancedental.I really hope that your pedal will work flawlessly for years after your modification.

Limbe.

3. steve440

steve440 Tele-Meister

Just looked at layout and input cap positive side should be facing towards pickups so I'd change that first.
    You need about 1.1v on q2 and about 6 on q3 can you get those voltages with the bias knob and sag knob turned up to full? Q1 looks ok
    Make sure your pots are wired the right way round and 100% really is 100%
    If no luck by now then plug both cables into jacks, clip a crocodile lead or similar onto the output jack tip turn the pedal on and work you way through (with an audio signal or strumming a guitar) with the other end from the input jack tip until you find where you lose the signal
    Hope this helps
    Steve

4. fender09

fender09 TDPRI Member

Thanks a lot, Steve. With the alligator clip test, sound came through the base of q2. Nothing from the collector or emitter of q2 though. If you have any hints, let me know. Otherwise, I'll start the rewire of that section, I suppose.

5. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Quick question....whats the yellow wire going to the board? Its not the board 'IN' or 'OUT' so is it a ground?

6. steve440

steve440 Tele-Meister

Fender

If you have signal at q2 base but nothing at the collector, I reckon you either have a bad tranny or need more volts to get it to pass signal. Try and get more than 1.1v on the collector. Lower the 33k if you have to. Maybe it's something after causing the problem. Disconnect Q2 collector from q3 base and see if you have signal at q2 collector.

Czech12

Loads of info about the Millenium Bypass and it's different incarnations on RG Keens website

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/millenium/millen.htm

Steve

7. fender09

fender09 TDPRI Member

Ok so here is the deal. I bought new transistors and replaced q2 and q3. Same problem. Low voltage on both q 2 and q3. I unsoldered q2 collector from q3 base and viola, I have over 8.5 volts to collectors of all three transistors, q1 q2 and q3. Hmmmm. What does this mean in the world of electronics? Should they be connected together?

8. steve440

steve440 Tele-Meister

Check all your wiring, make sure you have 9v on the board itself, not just + on the board to ground of the enclosure. Double check the wiring from q2 base to q3 emmiter. And then check everything again. Go through it methodically with the schem in front of you. There will be a problem, probably simple, and once you've found it you'll kick yourself;)

Its only a fuzz with an electra distortion, it will work the schem looks fine if not a little mod happy;)

Good luck

Steve

9. fender09

fender09 TDPRI Member

Thanks again, Steve. I'm sure I have the board right. I think the problem is with the wiring o the pots. I followed the circuit board diagram when wiring pots, but that was posted after the schematic and not confirmed. So, for the person that made the diagram, looking at the back of the pots on their diagram was probably confused with looking at the top of the pot on the schematic...could that be the case?

10. steve440

steve440 Tele-Meister

Fender

Pots look ok, even if they were reversed they'd just work backwards.
    Check everything in good light, preferably with a magnifying glass. You'll get there in the end, patience glasshopper and all that;)

Steve

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.